Options

dial-up problem

dreddy2dreddy2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i installed winXP pro and set it up to dual boot with win98. i configured dial-up on XP and it works perfectly. but Win98 (SE) doesn't seem to connect; when i try to connect i don't get a dail tone or any sound and i immediatly reciece error 630:

"The modem is not responding properly. Please verify that the modem is plugged in to the computer and to the telephone line.
If the problem persists, please select 'More Help' button to start the Windows 98 Modem Troubleshooter."

any suggestions will be appreciated
i've already tried the following:

i've been using win98 for a while, and never had this problem. moreover, i've already deleted and reinstalled dial-up adapters and dial-up networking on win98. When i checked device manager, it says the adapter and modem devices are working properly.

however, the system detected some sort of hardware, and labeled a question mark for "unknown pci communications device." the problem may have something to do with this, but my modem made came pre-installed with a compaq modem, and i don't think i have the drivers anyway.

Comments

• Options
    nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Disable card with ? next to it and restart. sounds way to easy but ya never know.
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    I have seen this alot in the past on compaq and hp systems. 98 will detect and install what it thinks is the right driver, but leave you with what you are actually seeing. The "unknown pci communications device" is the actual modem that you will have to install driver for. I would recommend going to the modem manufacturers website and downloading the driver. If you dont know which model it is. Open up your computer and pull out the modem and take down any writings you see on it. One of these numbers is bound to be a model #. Google the model number and the word "driver", and you should be able to get the driver and just install it.
  • Options
    dreddy2dreddy2 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the help guys, it was indeed a driver problem...
    i didn't think it was the driver because device manager listed several devices under the "modems" hierarchy icon_redface.gif I guess they were corrupted drivers?

thanks again!