Options

Tax Write Offs for Certifications

JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I tried searching and received various answers. However, would we be able to writeoff the costs for exams and affiliated training (ie Bootcamps)?

I'm looking at what I have spent this year, and the additional exams I want to take, and it'd be nice to reduce my taxable income.
2016 Certification Goals:
CCIE R/S Written: ???
CCIE R/S Lab: ???
Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends on your AGI. Higher your AGI, more money you need to spend on book/hardware/training, etc.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    JasonXJasonX Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never heard this one before... so your education deductions are capped dependent on income?
    2016 Certification Goals:
    CCIE R/S Written: ???
    CCIE R/S Lab: ???
    Add me on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-meier/38/912/280/
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    See if this helps:

Publication 970 (2011), Tax Benefits for Education

I am by no means a tax expert though :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Certifications usually are not tax deductable. You may want to consult with a qualified tax accountant which I am not icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I contract and consult on the side so I write off technological expenses, certifications, books, study materials, etc as business expenses. Of course any income that I make on the side stuff I have to pay taxes on but in the end, I usually save tons of money
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe they can be claimed as a business expense as Iris mentioned. I would consult a qualified accountant on that, though, as it might not be universally applicable to those of us who do side work.

Certifications cannot be used as educational write-offs unless they are part of an actual program from an actual educational institution (as described in Publication 970, which RTW linked). If a school required you to take and pay for a certification as part of a degree program, that would qualify.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340