Problems updating IOS on Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR switch.

TheIdeaManTheIdeaMan Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought a Cisco WS-C3550-24PWR for a home lab off of eBay and when I powered it up I got a message saying "!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!". So looking at the error message a little further I noticed this.

I Googled to see what an ILP controller was and to see if it was something that I could fix. From my searches people on other forums suggested trying to reload the IOS on the switch. Right now it has c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin installed on it and I was wanting to install c3550-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin onto it.

While trying to delete the ipbase IOS off of the switch I receive an error stating that I can't delete it, that the permission is denied.

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 350 files, 5 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1514496
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 14484480
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 16 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
switch: load_helper
switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 348 <date> system_env_vars
4 -rwx 1096 <date> vlan.dat
5 -rwx 3164 <date> config.text
6 -rwx 0 <date> env_vars
8 drwx 64 <date> c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4

14484480 bytes available (1514496 bytes used)
switch: delete /force /recursive flash:c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4
Are you sure you want to delete "/force" (y/n)?y
File "/force" not deleted -- permission denied
Are you sure you want to delete "/recursive" (y/n)?y
File "/recursive" not deleted -- permission denied
Are you sure you want to delete "flash:c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4" (y/n)?y
File "flash:c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4" not deleted -- is a directory
switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 348 <date> system_env_vars
4 -rwx 1096 <date> vlan.dat
5 -rwx 3164 <date> config.text
6 -rwx 0 <date> env_vars
8 drwx 64 <date> c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4

14484480 bytes available (1514496 bytes used)
switch:

Can anyone suggest something to try? Any help will be greatly appreciated since I can't return it.

Comments

• kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    What is the result of Show post?
    What is the Boot set to load from?
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    Also, try the back door method.
    Hold the Mode button, power up. Hold button for about 60 seconds and let go. Walk the process of flash_init, load_helper, dir flash:.
    View the "config.text" in the Dir flash:.
    rename flash:config.text flash:config.old
    boot
    walk process on en.
    rename flash:config.old flash:config.text
    copy flash:config.text system:running-config

This should put you in the config mode of the current. Sounds like the config has the registrar set to not allow changes to ROMMON. Blow the config out, wr erase, reload and select no.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hope you have alreday tried to copy and save the config. This could be interesting reading later.

I would boot it to S>, = ROMMMON> | erase config from their, re-boot back into global, copy your flash to tftp.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That wouldn't work... If he deleted flash in ROMMON he won't be able to get back to global config.

Anyway, try going into the IOS and typing; erase flash:c3550-ipbase-mz.122-25.SEB4

Then TFTP your new IOS you'd like to upgrade to.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    if you did a flash memory upgrade it would boot to rommon> | or S>; then you would do what you need to put it into global. (correct?)
  • TheIdeaManTheIdeaMan Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tried all your suggestions and still couldn't get it to do anything. So I ended up formatting the flash and downloading all the IOS bin tar files that cisco had available for that switch.

c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
    c3550-ipbase-tar.122-44.SE6.tar
    c3550-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
    c3550-ipservices-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
    c3550-ipservices-tar.122-44.SE6.tar
    c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
    c3550-ipservicesk9-tar.122-44.SE6.tar

I loaded the c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin on the switch and attempted to boot and received the following.

Base ethernet MAC Address: Xmodem file system is available.
    The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
    Initializing Flash...
    flashfs[0]: 1 files, 1 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 6721024
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 9277952
    flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 15 seconds.
    ...done Initializing Flash.
    Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3 Loading "flash:/c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin"...##############################
    ################################################################################
    ################################################################################
    ##########################################################################

File "flash:/c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry p
    oint: 0x3000
    executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
    (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
    (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
    170 West Tasman Drive
    San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, C3550 Software (C3550-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(44)SE6, RELEAS E SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 09-Mar-09 14:33 by gereddy
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00D32668

Initializing flashfs...
    flashfs[1]: 1 files, 1 directories
    flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976
    flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 6721024
    flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 9277952
    flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 9 seconds.
    flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.
    ...done Initializing flashfs.
    INIT: failed ILP accessing testCisco WS-C3550-24-PWR (PowerPC) processor (revisi on L0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID CAT1005Z23K
    Last reset from warm-reset
    Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

Ethernet-controller 1 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 2 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 3 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

Ethernet-controller 4 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

24 FastEthernet interfaces
    2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
    384K bytes of flash-simulated NVRAM.
    Base ethernet MAC Address: Motherboard assembly number: 73-8100-09 Power supply part number: 341-0029-04 Motherboard serial number: CAT100412N9 Power supply serial number: LIT100105QS Model revision number: L0 Motherboard revision number: A0 Model number: WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI System serial number: CAT1005Z23K

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:
    *Mar 1 00:00:28.155: ***Err: i2c Write failed (slave addr 0x25, addr 0x12) ret 0x3006.

*Mar 1 00:00:28.527: ***Err: I2C_do_transaction failed i2cRead: slave addr 0x25 , addr 0x12 (ret 0x3006).

*Mar 1 00:00:28.827: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for typ e vlan

*Mar 1 00:00:28.923: %SYS-2-NULLCHUNK: Memory requested from Null Chunk -Proces s= "Init", ipl= 0, pid= 3 -Traceback= 6EFE2C 6F0540 CB179C 487B00 3FA168 3FA5A0 C74FDC C75074 6FB91C 6FBB28 3F08F0 3E7600

*Mar 1 00:00:30.n203: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, ch anged state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:49.863: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg) failed

*Mar 1 00:00:49.863: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg) failed

*Mar 1 00:00:49.867: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/switch-confg) failed

*Mar 1 00:00:49.867: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config parse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/ciscortr.cfg) failed

*Mar 1 00:00:49.867: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco IOS Software, C3550 Software (C3550-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(44)SE6, RELEAS E SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 09-Mar-09 14:33 by gereddy

It's still giving me the same error message. Do you all think that switch is really bad or could it still be a corrupt IOS again?
    do you have more 3550's?

i ask because i just went through a tough fix with a 2651xm.
    it started easy but gave me grief for 1.5 days.

my 3550 is not opened so i cannot verify the internal components for you. I do not find any mainboard photos of ws c3550 online either.

what i had to do to get it straightened out was take the bootrom chip, the plcc/soj pac, out and i swapped it from the working to the nonworking, alsonext to the bootrom in is another plcc. It is the NVRAM, I swaped the bootrom,the nvram plcc’s back and forth, in addition to that I also swapped the flashmemory card and the dram memory cards. It took I little effort but all my stuffis back in my rack working now. If you do go this root: please examine yourplcc socket carefully chances of you having a tool box designed for pbc work isslim. You will need a tool small enough to carfully reach under the plcc andgently lift it. The aged plastic socket tends to get a little brittle. If youbreak that socket it will not work again.
    Hey inscom.brigade,

No this is my first and only 3550.

I'm afraid your a little over my head on this one. I have an idea of what your talking about and I have looked on the circuit board before I posted to this forum thinking maybe it was just a chip that needed to be reseated. But everything look like it is soldered to the motherboard, not unless it is posted on the bottom of the board. I have attached some photos of the 3550 motherboard.
    right i do not see any servicable ic's or mem moduals

i did find this link maybe it could help you
    Upgrading Software Images on Catalyst 3550 Series Switches Using the Command Line Interface* [Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

do you see any shunt blocks, jumpers like for dumping bios mem. any reset buttons.
    did you also do a [delet vlan.dat] not sure if this could get written in a vlan and is hidden. do a show vlan command and see if it pulls anything. lets us know if you find it.It would be nicer to know how to find it than how to only **** it without finding were it is written. It could be a trick EG: (someone goes to global, does hostname rommon>)

their must be some kind of flash mem or nvram in this guy that is holding. Whats that wire block, the little one next to the fan. I am using a magnify glass to look at your photos. if their is a lithium battery in their you could pop it out but i am not seeing one.
    s
    That bank of 4 surface mount to the right of what looks to be the holagram looks like memory plcc's. if you read the number on the IC then google it you should be able to find out the schematic for this chip and how to **** it.
    I also found that link and have it printed out, but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't see anything on the motherboard that would work as a reset. So I have unplugged the power supply from the motherboard to give it a shot and see what happens. I will leave it unplugged for a day or two and hope that it works after.

I will try the delete vlan.dat when I plug the power supply back up.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Could the error message be referencing a problem with the inline power supply?

Have you actually tried to configure the switch and see if it works as a regular layer 3 switch?
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Did you get it figured out?
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
    Sorry about taking time to reply back I was out of town and wanting to leave the power supply unplugged for a couple more days.

I reconnected the power supply and attempted to boot it again with the c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin and still had no luck. So I did another flash format and loaded the c3550-ipbasek9-mz.122.44.SE6.bin onto the switch and attempted to boot and was still receiving the error message that the switch was not useable.

I am starting to think that this switch might just be bad versus just having a corrupt IOS.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had that issue on a 3550 the board was toast.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Likewise, and more than once. It's why I never, ever buy PoE switches used anymore.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Were there any burnt marks on the board? Either the top or the bottom?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Thanks for the reply help and replies.
    Not from what I could tell. But I didn't look at the bottom of the board.
    If your going to take out the mobo You might as well first look at all the can capacitors, they look like a can. They are mounted in an upright position. The 3 cuts in the top are scheduled to provide relief by bubbling outward or popping in an extrem case. Any browning on top is also a sign of overheating. To re-order you only need the capacitor pico farad value and the voltage, values are written right on them . DigiKey will let you order only 1. It should cost about $0.30, for one. There are only 2 legs one is positive, and one negative.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You think he'll need to recap the motherboard then?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

If your lucky to spot one that went bad that is very lucky and easy to fix.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Usually when I buy hardware from ebay that hasn't been tested. I look for the comment "all we did was boot it up and all lights went green" that way you atleast know its good enough to pass the post and it shouldn't have any serious hardware issues. If they didn't post that then email them and ask them too. If they can't check it then its not worth the gamble.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    It fails one of the POST tests, as others have said it's highly likely that it's not an IOS issue.

Did the seller offer "DOA" warranty? I usually buy only if the "show ver" is posted or they offer warranty against DOA then you can test it when it arrives and send back if you get a bad one. I haven't gotten a single bad device yet this way out of 16 or so that I've purchased on eBay.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.