Did it happen to you ?

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
You know the feeling i think; when I got my CCNA 6 months ago, I felt that I know aloooot. Feel like a mother of Networking :) Then what ? I know nothing, it is just a small dot in an ocean.

Did it happen to you ? Your big big knowledge assumption was actually nothing compared what is out there to learn ...

Comments

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I'm still hoping that i will feel that way =D because I heard a lot of CCIE say so!

right now, i don't know anything haha. so when i feel like i know alot, yet not enough, that will be a good day!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I feel like I know enough to be dangerous LOL
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is why ignorance is bliss. The more knowledge you gain, the more you realize how little you really know.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    One of the joys of the IT field in general.

I felt like king of the world when I got my CCNA, quickly realized there was a lot I did not know.

Then felt like there couldn't be much more after I got my CCNP, of course then I noticed there are still different worlds out there. (Wireless, Security, Data Center, etc)

Years later I'm pretty confident I know my skillset(s) however I am aware there are some areas I should not butt in to, you definitely want to learn from everyone you can and keep an open mind. Thinking you know everything is the worst thing you can do in the IT field.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No. I've known enough to realize that what I think I know pales in comparison what everyone else thinks they know. Everyone knows something more than me. I can learn from everyone that I see. I need to spend the time to listen to their stories, experiences, and knowledge.

And computers. Pfff. Forget that. Im not going to have everything. Just reading more books I find myself grasping that there's so much more I don't know. So much I'll never really know.

It's exciting, actually.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes it kinda happened to me although I did sorta know CCNA was just a part of the puzzle. What I didn't realise/anticipate was the sheer amount of extra knowledge and skilll needed for CCNP level. For me going from CCENT to CCNA was maybe a few steps up but CCNA to CCNP is at least twenty steps up from that. Now when I look back at some CCNA stuff i think can't believe i thought that was complex or can't believe i take it for granted now.
    I think this is one of main reasons why i'm motivated to do more. I don't just want to be a Commander, I want to be a Captain, Admiral, Colonel, General etc if you get my meaning. I mean it in terms of knowledge and skill
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    MrXpert wrote: »
    CCNA to CCNP is at least twenty steps up from that. Now when I look back at some CCNA stuff i think can't believe i thought that was complex or can't believe i take it for granted now.

I believe the same now; after i realized how a small dot i am in that ocean,i understand that CCNP for sure will let me to gain more than i can imagine now. Still i have to admit that, CCNA made me valuable in IT market. I am happy that i listened one of my friend suggestion about taking it. Now i feel like, i want to feel this "mother of Networking" thing again by going for CCNP series (probably CCNP Security after my CCNA Sec and CCNP R&S)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never felt like I knew a lot after I got my CCNP. Same after I got my CCNA. The more you learn the more you find out just how ignorant you were previously.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Imagine what it feels like going from CCNP to CCIE and then having a couple of CCIEs...even 4 CCIEs. It's like an perpetual stream of betterment and technological evolution.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats a really great attitude to have dude - I'm sure you will go far!icon_cool.gif
    I think this is one of main reasons why i'm motivated to do more. I don't just want to be a Commander, I want to be a Captain, Admiral, Colonel, General etc if you get my meaning. I mean it in terms of knowledge and skill
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Imagine what it feels like going from CCNP to CCIE and then having a couple of CCIEs...even 4 CCIEs. It's like an perpetual stream of betterment and technological evolution.

I can't imagine :) Especially when there are only 137 Turkish CCIEs in the world. 75 million population and i am the 140 th CCIE :Dicon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Unofficial List of Turkish CCIEs - Türk CCIE Listesi
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Hayir. No. I've always felt as if I have a long long way to go, and probably always will.