ICND1 passed!

The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I decided to hold off on my first post until I passed ICND1. This is mainly because I did not have much to contribute. I would just search and review topics to find answers I had questions for. I passed on my first attempt with a score of 874 (expected higher). This forum has proven to be a very helpful source and point of reference for my networking studies. I’m actually a systems administrator by trade and wish to begin making the transition to networking full-time.

I’m actually preparing for the CCNA in a composite manner, but ultimately decided to take the two exam route. I’m still having some issues getting my point-to-point frame-relay setup functioning properly on my home lab. I intend to take the ICND2 exam within the next week or two ; assuming my frame-relay setup produces positive results this weekend.

Thanks.

Study materials:

Print: CCNA 640-802 exam prep (Jeremy Cioara) and Cisco Press CCNA: 640-802 portable command guide (Scott Empson)

CBT Nuggets: ICND1 & 2 Jeremy Cioara

Home Lab: (1)2511RJ terminal server, (1) 3825, (5) 2600’s, (2) 3750G’s, (3)3560G’s, (1)2960,(3) 2950’s

*I built this lab with the intention of pursuing CCNP (R&S)
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!!! good luck on the icnd2!

when studying for the icnd1 did you use your home lab often? or was it not utalized as much in the earlier cisco certs?
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job on the pass! Cisco exams are not easy. Best of luck with ICND2.
  • txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats bud! 3825 in your lab wow thats a pretty penny.
  • apoole15apoole15 Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pruspeter wrote: »
    congrats!!! good luck on the icnd2!

when studying for the icnd1 did you use your home lab often? or was it not utalized as much in the earlier cisco certs?

I would lab as I was reading. I would repeatidly read some chapters more than twice to fully understand. This helped me understand the concepts and theory better.
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Congrats bud! 3825 in your lab wow thats a pretty penny.

Not really. Many deals I find at local surplus liquidation auctions. most of the time I just have to purchase flash & dram
  • maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, I take mine tomorrow early afternoon. Maybe you can fill me in on your secret place out here for your equipment icon_wink.gif
  • babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great work dude, congrats! Booked in for ICND1 myself on 27th of this month - getting nervous now!
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand they don't let you use calculators on that test. Does that include the one on the computer?
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and thanks for posting materials used to pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Congrats!! you have a good lab for ccnp..
    all the best..
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The IT Guy wrote: »

I’m actually preparing for the CCNA in a composite manner, but ultimately decided to take the two exam route. I’m still having some issues getting my point-to-point frame-relay setup functioning properly on my home lab. I intend to take the ICND2 exam within the next week or two ; assuming my frame-relay setup produces positive results this weekend.

Thanks.

Study materials:

Print: CCNA 640-802 exam prep (Jeremy Cioara) and Cisco Press CCNA: 640-802 portable command guide (Scott Empson)

CBT Nuggets: ICND1 & 2 Jeremy Cioara

Home Lab: (1)2511RJ terminal server, (1) 3825, (5) 2600’s, (2) 3750G’s, (3)3560G’s, (1)2960,(3) 2950’s

*I built this lab with the intention of pursuing CCNP (R&S)

Was the homelab, in your opinion, your greatest strength for ICND1. What role did the Exam prep play because I feel these books should come with a HUGE disclaimer: if you have a IT or basic network bkgd, don't bother buying a book when you can get questions from seperate online resources or books dedicated solely to questions. You don't even need a summary when it comes to CCxx terms. What do you think?

About the boring exam prep study guide book you are using. Did you use that book for ICND1? Did it really help or is it helping now and was it really essential for ICND1 at all because I have this book and do not find anything really helpful in that book for gaining that "I got this" confidence that I can't get free online somewhere either websites or free e-books.

Is the strength of your ICND1 passing largely due in part to the lab and doing a lot of labbing? Aren't EP book so overrated or was it just used for basic multiple choice questions? Isn't the EP SG/book just for the multiple choice questions that you can get free using e-book or just by doing test questions? I think your materials mainly the emphasis on lab equipment kinda prove these study guides are a waste if you have bkgd in IT or basic networking. Can you email/IM me at metadeep@gmail.com as I have a few questions?