Options

Exam 70-640 failed with the MOAC book

mdh337mdh337 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I just finished a course with the book "70-640: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration".

I thought I was ready because the book was easy to understand and strait forward. but when I got to the test it was something different. A lot more detailed questions then the ones in the MOAC book 70-640: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration.

I see a lot of people posting about labs is there a website that they use to help them setup the lab, or some exercises that help with the test.

It was frustrating to take a class with the book mentioned above being the primary martial. and score under 400 on the exam.

If someone has suggestions on lab exercises or an exam book that would be great.

Also if you can please let me know how to turn on PM's. I would like to message some people that have used the MOAC martial.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry about the test, tough break. I looked at the book you reference, and it looks like it isn't for the R2 version. If that's correct, that book leaves a lot out that is testable.

The book I am currently using with labs is the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mcts-self-paced-training-kit-dan-holme/1100279402?ean=9780735651937

It has labs at the end of every lesson. If you have at least 1 computer that you can install Microsoft Server 2008 R2 on, it will work for most of the labs. Hands-on labs work much better for most people than just memorizing the info.

I am currently running a computer with VMware, so I have multiple servers running at the same time. That helps out much more for all of the labs.

Good luck,
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That MOAC book will not help that much as it has no R2 content. The test is geared towards R2 but it also will test you on differences between the two. Get the book that lunchbocks recommended, read through as many Technet articles on the different domains for the book as you can and do any labbing that you can. You need to especially focus on certificate services, RMS, command line tools and backups.
  • Options
    mdh337mdh337 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing that I dont get is how come the Microsoft page for the Exam has not updated.
    https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-640

So it looks like my school is using a older book, do you know when Microsoft started using R2 on the test. My instructor said that he had a high pass rate with this book, but I don't think R2 was around when he tough the last class.

Thank you for all the help in this. I just finished installing Virtual box on my windows 7 PC and install 2008 R2 on a few virtual machines. in the mean time i am going through the labs in this MOAC book that i have.

One of the good things with this book it cam with a credit towards Microsoft virtual lab environment.