Passed ICND2!

sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
Just came back from the test. I took a chance by taking a test without fully preparing for it but I guess I underestimated my knowledge. I was really confident throughout most of the questions, but still, after seeing my score, I couldn't believe it - 944!

Some details:

Configure, verify and troubleshoot VLANs... 80%
Implement IP addressing schemes... 100%
Configure and troubleshoot Cisco devices... 100%
NAT and ACLs... 100%
WAN links... 83%

The last score really surprised me. I spent a lot of time studying STP, VLANs, ACLs, Routing Protocols and NAT, but only quickly read a chapter on WAN links without memorizing any info.

The materials I used to study include:

CBT Nuggets ICND2 - thanks to Jeremy for making the concepts clear!
Todd Lammle's CCNA book - read some chapters after watching the videos
Wendell Odom's ICND2 book - read most of it. The questions on the exam wasn't really hard, so I could have passed without reading this book. However, it really helped me understand the details beyond the scope of the exam
101 CCNA Labs - did most of the labs in Packet Tracer.
This forum - I asked a few questions and you guys were really helpful!

Now I'm wondering what I should do next... I don't work with Cisco stuff at work, but we have a bunch of HP switches that work pretty similar. Would it be useful to study CCNP Switch materials? Or should I just focus on getting Microsoft Certs? I was thinking about passing 70-642, it looks pretty easy.

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! I would only go into the Microsoft realm if you plan on being done with Cisco, or if you specifically want to work with Microsoft technologies. Otherwise continue to build upon your CCNA. Good luck!
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Congrats! I'm gunning to take the ICND2 at the end of this month.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass!!
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Just came back from the test.

WAN links... 83%

The last score really surprised me. I spent a lot of time studying STP, VLANs, ACLs, Routing Protocols and NAT, but only quickly read a chapter on WAN links without memorizing any info.

Wendell Odom's ICND2 book - read most of it. The questions on the exam wasn't really hard, so I could have passed without reading this book. However, it really helped me understand the details beyond the scope of the exam

Extreme kudos goes to you sir. One thing is abundantly clear from the Jeremy Ciora CBT Nuggets camp is it can be used independently of any other material and it always seems to help along with doing labs! Another thing is you basically dont recommend big study guides and I am, in the same camp. You clearly stated that you could bypass ICND 1 Cisco book and make do with only a few chapters from Sybex. I am with you on that one too so were 2 for 2 or batting 1000!

What I highlighted were the key for you along with the perfect scores you got on Subnetting and some other things!
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    2 YFZblu. I don't know. As I mentioned, I don't even touch Cisco equipment at my work, but studying for CCNA really helped me to understand networks. I guess I'll just order a book on CCNP switch and read what it's about and then decide whether I want to do it.
    Microsoft certs seem like a logical thing to do next because I work with servers as well.

2 Cerebro: thanks and good luck to you! Be sure to study the topics that I mentioned.

2 Illumanati: Well, actually I am recommending reading as much as you can. If your goal is to just pass the exam, then you'll be fine with just watching the videos and reading Lammle's book. I wanted to understand the details of a few things that were not clear to me from reading "easier" books and Odom's book helped me a lot. I know it's pretty boring but it's not as bad as I though it would be.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and thanks for posting materials used!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Way to go!
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    If you are not working at Cisco then I dont see a point of doing CCNP without experience. Try some vendor neutral certifications.. Some are not that difficult and have good value.
    I think I'll start preparing for MCSA. I can also get certified with HP (that's what I work with), but how many people are familiar with ASE and AIS?
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Big congrats to you!
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Nicely done! Also gonna take ICND at the end of the month. Thanks for sharing the materials you used.
  • lieuallenlieuallen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your achievement!
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just came back from the test. I took a chance by taking a test without fully preparing for it but I guess I underestimated my knowledge. I was really confident throughout most of the questions, but still, after seeing my score, I couldn't believe it - 944!

Some details:

Configure, verify and troubleshoot VLANs... 80%
    Implement IP addressing schemes... 100%
    Configure and troubleshoot Cisco devices... 100%
    NAT and ACLs... 100%
    WAN links... 83%

This forum - I asked a few questions and you guys were really helpful!

Now I'm wondering what I should do next... I don't work with Cisco stuff at work, but we have a bunch of HP switches that work pretty similar. Would it be useful to study CCNP Switch materials? Or should I just focus on getting Microsoft Certs? I was thinking about passing 70-642, it looks pretty easy.

congrats dude! may I know where did you get the 101 ccna labs?
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CaptainL wrote: »
    congrats dude! may I know where did you get the 101 ccna labs?

I think it can be bought from Amazon as a kindle ebook but maybe also available on Paul and Farai's howtonetwork website (you need to check)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□

Holy moly! Did you see the price on the paperback version? $85!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And Used for 120! >.>
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

There is also an "unknown binding" version for almost $250... A bunch of printouts stapled together?

P.S. The Kindle edition is pretty good. At $10, it's well worth the money.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heck, there's a good ROI for the unknown binding - for the seller :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Kindle edition is pretty good. At $10, it's well worth the money.
    I don't have a Kindle, but I do have an iPad. Do you get a link to a PDF? That would be awesome if it did.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If I am not mistaken you can get it sent to your Kindle, iPad, iPhone, PC , Mac , Blackberry , Android , and a few other devices. It may not be in PDF , I think you have to download the Kindle app and it will be on there.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    I read it on a PC using Amazon Cloud Reader. Not sure if you can do it on an iPad, but why not?