If you are on the fence about Boson...

showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
Don't be! I purchased the ExSIM and NetSIM and they are awesome tools. The ExSIM is perfect for learning because it explains EVERY answer in great detail if you choose!. The NetSIM is very functional (of course not like the real thing but close enough) and it goes well with the ExSIM.

I took my first ExSIM test and scored 682/1000. I am not upset at the least, since I am only half way through Todd Lammles CCENT book :).

Happy studying, and happy passing to all!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NetSim reached it's limits for me for ICND2. It's not a lot of exploring you can do.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I second NetSim.. for the CCENT and CCNA. It's a nice package that includes router and switch simulators, plus something around 80+ graded labs. About 12-15 of those cover the core sim material; the rest reinforce the various exam topic concepts.

For the CCNP, ironically, they have fewer labs. I don't recommend purchasing NetSim, or any simulator for CCNP. Nothing on the market covers the IOS functionality well enough imho.

(That's when, in my estimation, the GNS3 emulator really begins to shine!)
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ha, this is well timed. I was just waffling about whether or not to buy their test sims (I bought hardware for labbing, no need for a netsim). Part of me thought I should be as prepared as possible, and another part thinks I'm throwing more money into studying resources and it could be wasted. I think I'll break down and buy it now.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've never been a fan of simulators in general, they're all lacking somewhere.

Boson in particular, their ExamSim for the CCIE Written was spot on, easily one of the best products I've ever seen. I wasn't terribly impressed with their CCNA offerings when I was studying for it, but that was like 10 years ago, so they may have stepped their game up. I used Transcender for my Associate and Professional level exams. But if the same guys that did the CCIE Written ExamSim are now doing their Professional and Associate level stuff, they should be dead on.
  • txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the ExSim and failed 2 out of 3 Boson exams the first time. Then, I studied the questions and I passed the CCENT the first time.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the ExSim for ICND1 and I'm almost always hitting 750 - 800, struggling to pass the test. I feel like I should be passing, my exam is booked for Monday! Still, it's helping to identify weaknesses that I need to read up on in the Lammle book.

How are other people using the software? I'm trying to use it too much, I don't want to "learn the answers" without understanding the concepts. Am I using it wrong?
    To guard yourself against learning the answers. You'll need to have a switch.

On for = "How is this answer not correct?"
    Off for = "Which question is correct?"

Basicly, turn the switch to On. For example if you see an IPv6 Question that asks you:

"What is a valid IPv6 Address?"
    1) 127.0.0.1
    2) ::1
    3) 123::02::1
    4) 571::E

Think about the answers this way::
    #1 would be incorrect because it's an IPv4 Address, Loopback.
    #2 Correct
    #3 You can't have more than 1 shorthand for 0's
    #4 E is not a Hexidecimal character.

As #2 is correct, you'll most likely move on to the next question without looking over the other answers. Stop. Don't go on. You're missing a lot of review you can fit. Think about it for a second... You've immediately figured out that #2 is correct. But why?

A lot of the review potential for questions is missed if you skip the other answers. Yes, they're wrong. However, You'll want to go over each answer you see, and ask "How" for each answer. Even if it's the stupidest, obiviously uncorrect answer. Yes, Uncorrect is a word for now.

For example #4: If you ask "How is this incorrect" You've refreshed the knowledge that Hexidecmial numbers range 0 - F.
    What if: You see an IPv6 address [13G::02] that has a character out of the Hex range? You may have just dropped the ball because you forgot the range. You just missed a point.

Within this one question you've just refreshed more than 1 concept. More than 1 rule. You've gotten 4x the value than simply answering the question correctly.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ex sim max is good for the ICND1 and 2. I'd normally do each exam 2-3 times but would ensure i;d do it at least 2 month aparts. No point repeatedly doing the exam over and over again every few days and then saying "i'm getting 90%"icon_lol.gif
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    #4 E is not a Hexidecimal character.

For example #4: If you ask "How is this incorrect" You've refreshed the knowledge that Hexidecmial numbers range 0 - F.

::scratches head::

Otherwise, I whole-heartedly agree it's a good suggestion. :)
    I was thinking 'G'.

Really ...

failure-of-logic.jpg