What music do you study with?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
What music gets you through the study hours?

Those long hours of study that would easily make the hardened professors ball up and cry?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    None. Too distracting.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i wish i could study with music icon_sad.gif theres no way in hell i would be able to concentrate. the smallest noises throw me off
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually put some classical music on.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I play my pandora, with various stations.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I don't study with music normally. I will however listen to some upbeat techno, dubstep, house type music when I homework, or lab. When I do programming assignments for school I have to have music. I guess it just gets me in a programming mode.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    music || study
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    As others have said, I can't study with music. Would be nice, though.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually listen to rap, rock and dubstep when I study.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No music, too distracting
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I usually put on something without lyrics. The music itself can be quite motivating, but I find myself listening to the words if anyone's singing. I tend to lean towards orchestrated video game music, classical, Celtic, or something like low-key jazz, things along those lines.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • illuminusilluminus Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't focus with music on.... icon_sad.gif
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Neither. I actually listen to brainsync ambient noise just because we have a small apartment and I usually study on the bus. I tried straight up fan white noise but it put me to sleep because I sleep with the fan on!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I usually go for either classical or chillout type stuff. Can't do anything with vocals. Music helps eliminate wife + daughter's babble which completely kills my concentration.
  • luberguilarteluberguilarte Member Posts: 112
    Well , I can't read with music but I can lab with music , sometimes when I don't understand a show command or a debug ,then I turn it off until I sticky it on my brain .
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah there is no way I can study with music. I sometimes try to read a book in the same room as my wife watching TV and many times find myself reading the words with zero comprehension of what I just read. I need to be 100% focused studying.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Yep too distracting listening to music... but if I did it would be Slayer!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Too distracting for me during studying. I will listen to rock/ punk music for pre study motivation!!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I'm with Slowhand on this. Having music playing helps me focus on reading and taking notes. Mostly instrumental and without intelligible words, otherwise my mind starts following the lyrics. The exception is when I'm coding; then I can listen to anything, and usually prefer podcasts.

Currently, I'm taking a break from 1970's electronic music and listening instead to Tubular Bells and three of the later re-issued albums.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Of late I've been listening to youtube videos of rain falling, helps me focus and drowns out the TV the missus watches. I cannot stand any music when studying.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    I can have music with studies.. I start singing the song along instead of reading!!
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can't study with music, it would be nice if I could though.
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Melodic trance
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    My musical taste varies. I'll listen to pretty much anything, but my rules during studying are nothing new. If it's stuff I've heard and can sing along with without even thinking about it, then that's fine, as it tends to occupy the portions of my mind that like to wander and interfere with my studying. It's like I have two people in my head, the serious professional adult who takes their career seriously, and the 7 year old who just wants to play. The music pacifies the 7 year old, leaving the adult free to get on with it.

However, if I'm listening to something new, and I like it, then my mind will wander and I'll pay attention to it instead. So I usually drop my itunes on random play and it'll go between Pantera, Slayer, classical, musicals like Wicked and Les Miserables, to poppy crap that I like in spite of myself, and so on.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me no music really... unless sometimes if I am going over notes that I've already taken down, but if I am learning something new I'd like to give it my full undivided attention
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No music for me. The only time I'll listen to music is in between topics. It helps me relax and visualize on what I've studied. When I do listen to music it's a very broad spectrum. I listen to the softest music, like classical, all the way up to the heaviest stuff you've ever heard. I only listen to it because I play bass and drums semi-professionally (not at the same time, obviously).
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • CamargovilleCamargoville Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Megadeth lol. Literally.
    Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I've learned that working and studying happen better for me if I listen to music, with some high end headphones and a desktop amp. This way, other noise, baby crying, wife listening to TV doen't distract me.

As far as the music goes, I typically listen to stuff that doesn't contain words, or very little words. Lately, I've been listening to inspirational music like Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, Epic Score Position music, or Tomas-Adam Habuda. Stuff like that tends to help me feel creative and helps get the writing juices flowing. :)
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I actually listen to the Final Fantasy soundtracks (Nerd Alert!). It's very soothing and all instrumental. Definitely can't study with the music I normally listen to which is mostly Metal.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Video game music all the way icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security