Packet Tracer question

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I am trying to create a network in Packet Tracer that will help me remember the cable typles that each devices uses.
I want to be able to type a note above the straight thru cable to say what kind of cable it is but I am unaware on how to do that.

Example

Straight thru cable
Router______________ Router

I cannot remember if I saw a video on this or I read it someplace but my you tube searches are not coming up with what I am looking for.
If you know to do this is packet tracer or you know a video where I can see this please let me know.

Thanks.
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bad example icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    theres a little note button on the right hand side so you can add a note. hope that helps you out
    oh and you wouldnt use a straight thru cable between two routers. you would use the serial interface i believe
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You can use a crossover cable between two routers, just like you would use it between two switches or workstations.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FYI, most devices allow straight through cables between like devices. The NIC does all the magic of figuring out which pairs tx, rx. Auto MDIX.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pruspeter wrote: »
    oh and you wouldnt use a straight thru cable between two routers. you would use the serial interface i believe
    Pruspeter, while you can have a serial connection between routers.. using Ethernet interfaces and cables is very common. As SpiderJericho says, on most equipment copper cable type is handled automatically. However, those pesky GBICs and XFPs can easily get mixed up!
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As SpiderJericho says, on most equipment copper cable type is handled automatically. However, those pesky GBICs and XFPs can easily get mixed up!
    I must admit one of my work areas is fiber. I haven't really been around it the last few years. And packet tracer, GNS3 or whatever isn't going to give you that experience.

Also, since we're on the topic, I wish Cisco would seriously update the technology in PT to have Nexus, ISR2, more fiber, wireless, etc. But it's not going to happen. Too expensive. But definitely one of the best programs for quickly building a large network topology (not to say GNS3 with VMware can't).
    thanks for the heads up guys!
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to create a network in Packet Tracer that will help me remember the cable typles that each devices uses.
    I want to be able to type a note above the straight thru cable to say what kind of cable it is but I am unaware on how to do that.

Can you post your packet tracer file here?
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In PT you can use a DTE/DCE cable as long as one of the routers is supplying clock rate
    You can also use a cross over cable. Routers and PCs send on pins 1 and 2 and receive on 3 and 6 whereas switches do the opposite. You cannot use a straight cable between devices who use the same pins to send/receive because pin1 on one end terminates on pin1 on the other etc.That's why we have the 568A and 568B standards.
    Saying that though in the real world you probably can get away with using a straight cable between routers as they have auto sending(AutoMidX) capability. I personally wouldn't rely on that though and would use the right cable for the right job. It is the mark of a good tech.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.