Options

CCIE - Voice In 8 Months Possible?

llllvllllllllvllll Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I have completed my B.tech (IT) with 54 % which are very low. I have a little knowledge about networking like TCP,IP,RIP,EIGRP,OSPF,BGP,Frame-relay,Switching,NAT etc .
Due to my % in degree and no experience i couldn't get a nice job So i am thinking of doing CCIE -Voice. I know its very tough and i am scared like sh1t.
I'm thinking about getting a loan for the course aswell as the certification fees,its alot of money and when i think about it i get all confused . i know i want to do it but at the back of my head i keep on thinking what if i couldn't make it.
If i couldn't get to CCIE but i cleared my CCNA,CCNP ,CCNA-voice and CCNP- voice will i get a nice job ?
The course duration is about 8 months is it possible to clear CCIE in 8 months ( 8 hours Teaching + Self study )
I am really confused , couldn't sleep properly, am i making a mistake? Is it normal to feel like this?

I would be very thankfull to the community for their views.

Sumit Singla.

Comments

• Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    I don’t think attempting CCIE out of the blue is going to get you anything. I mean not even CCIE!
    You want to be on Cisco track, start from CCNA. If you are not working, you will be able to devote enough time to do it in 5-7 weeks. Then see what you want to do. You may not like it and want to try something else. Don’t get in the trap of these institutes who make all sorts of commitments.
    Keep you options open and see if any other certification interests you. Also, try to move to a bigger town, there are a lot of walk in interviews for graduates in Delhi and Bangalore.
  • Options
    Sir when i meant doing CCIE i meant CCNA,CCNP,CCNA-voice ,CCNP-vice and CCIE- voice
  • Options
    Eng DavidEng David Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is good to get high aspirations and work towards them , sometimes defying all odds. What you need to have though is a clear picture of what you can achieve in what time frame.
    CCNA will require a lot of input in terms of hours and commitment to start with. Once you start familiarising yourself with the IP world, you will have to learn voice aspects in the CCNA ( Voice ) track.
    Lets say : CCNA 1 Month
    ; CCNA Voice 1 Month
    ; CCNP Voice 1 Month per Exam ( There are 5 Exams to be passed)

;CCIE Written 1 Month
    CCIE Lab 1 Month

This does not look relistic even for some experienced people. i think you neded more research. Or maybe do CCNA and replan your targets based on your progress. i think start by doing CCNA then you can see how to easy or difficult the certification tracks are and plan accoprding to your abilities.

8 Month CCIE Voice is over ambitious. Even 18 Months is over ambitious.
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    I agree, get your CCNA, and ask the same question to yourself again, you will find your answer
  • Options
    @ Eng David thankyou for your response.
    Sir, I know i might not be able to crack it but the knowledge i will gain in those 8 months will it be ok to get me a nice job ? i have no industrial experience but i know i can clear CCNA,CCNP,CCNA- voice & CCNP - voice within those 8 months.
    I was thinking of giving 8 months to this course and get my CCNP - voice certs done + get some usefull knowledge upto CCIE level then find a job and get some exp for 2-3 years then go for CCIE.

Is it the right way?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It took me quite a while to get CCNP Voice and I have plenty of voip experience due to the weirdness and complexity of the topics. What I have seen some people do is go to one of the overseas bootcamps and stay for 3 months. In those 3 months they do nothing but voice all day everyday with labs and teachers.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whats the B tech. Coincidentally I read today at other forums ppl mention something about completing B tech.
  • Options
    Eng DavidEng David Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i'd still say do your CCNA and re-evaluate. passing these exams via **** is one thing but you'l definitely look dumb when you get a job. You need to pass because you have the content knowledge and that is quite a drive. especially with the tshoot exam for the CCNP level, you will need to exhibit great understanding of all topics at CCNP level. Don't plan too much ahead. its a long road. instead of taking too much time thumbing on whats possible and whats not, dive into the course content and start working and you will get a clearer picture as you do the stuff.
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    What I have seen some people do is go to one of the overseas bootcamps and stay for 3 months. In those 3 months they do nothing but voice all day everyday with labs and teachers.

Actually I met a guy through linkedin that did that flew to india for 40 days did the bootcamps for ccnav and ccnp voice. He stayed an extra month to get all of his exams done. He got his ccnp voice and landed his first i.t. job in voice as a unified com engineer with hp and now he works from home in the mid west of the usa basically administrating cucm. Performing whatever the senior engineer asks him to do.

Nice dude he gave me a crap load of material to study with. He said the training was ok he learned more through self study after hours but was nice that he was only talking voice non-stop for 60 days without distractions. He said his first job may have been a combo of things that he was one of the few people to get certified in ccnp voice v8.0 when there werent alot of ppl at the time, he interviewed well, and maybe luck. Used his experience at the training place as his hands on experience mentioning whatever projects he completed in class.
  • Options
    @ Eng David Yes you are right i really need to start working on it then decide. Thanks bro. But i am sure i will complete my CCNP - voice in 6 months i'll prove it to you . I have decided to focus more on how things works rather then just implementing stuff. Like how does a packet flows from one point to other etc. I hope i would cover maximum area.
  • Options
    Fyi, don't take my last post as a rubric to a guide to success. Since, the same guy said his success isn't typical he just got "lucky" more of a right place right time situation. Just wanted to share his experience he had at the bootcamp.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Indian job market is very different. Getting a job in western country with knowledge is easy (even though they have less number of jobs). India has more outsourced jobs as compared to local jobs because of which communication skills become first priority (and much more important than certifications) if you are dealing with MNCs.
    Also, there are a lot of jobs (I really mean a lot), but one needs to be local for interviews because no HR will call to far away areas for graduates if they can meet 10k candidates by arranging walk in interviews. That's why I sad to be local if you can.
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    INE have a guide on how to go from CCNA-Voice to CCIE-Voice in 12 months. From CCNA Voice to CCIE Voice in One Year - A Detailed Study Plan - REVISED April 9, 2012 . The first step is doing CCNA-Voice, which they give you 2 weeks to complete (CCNA Voice course is free on INE website when you register also).If you can do CCNA voice in 2 weeks, that's your first hurdle. If you can do that, awesome, but if you can't then I would seriously reassess your expectations.