Options

What you learn, you loose over time :(

3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
I dunno if this effects anyone else, but as time goes on im starting to forget really simple things that i have studied. I did my Network+ exam about a month ago and some of it i cant remember!

Unfortunatly my job i do at the moment rarely uses the new found skills i have learnt and there for im forgetting it all, Does anyone else have this problem or could suggest anything to improve my memory icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yup - you are correct.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here.

Did my CCNA three months ago and I know that a lot of knowledge I gained has already disappeared icon_sad.gif

If you wanted to prevent that I guess one would have to find the perfect job for oneself which uses all of your skills.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    True, so true. I've been so busy at work, that when I do get a chance to play with my lab servers for MCSA, I can't remember where I left off. I think it's a bit easier if you use the technology on a daily basis to remember.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    What you need to do is have more interaction in the forum. In that way, you will be mentoring other peers and keep the knowledge in mind and use.

If you have ever worked as a helpdesk or desktop support job, end-users ask common questions like those we see in the forum at times. Take a shot at it even if its not the right answer.

The job will eventually come...
    What next?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use it or lose it.

If you don't have a job that lets you practice these new skills, review your old notes every once in a while and help out in forums like this one.

I have also found that as you go through the exam process, you repeat certain topics and they will start to get cemented into your head.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Use it or lose it.

If you don't have a job that lets you practice these new skills, review your old notes every once in a while and help out in forums like this one.

I have also found that as you go through the exam process, you repeat certain topics and they will start to get cemented into your head.

It is so true that your skills that you acquire you end up forgetting if you don't use it everyday. I did also learn that when i was going through my MCSA exams, each test started to build on the earlier test. It kept reinforcing certain topics and after achieving the MCSA, I feel that I can take the 70-210 again and fully understand everything now because all the other exams kept building and building on it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    To retain more knowledge, drink less beer.

It werks fer me! *hic!* icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    It's very easy to forget things that you don't do all the time. I forget things all the time. icon_redface.gif However, I did find that going over my notes and chapter summaries from time to time help me out alot.
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    I find that doing practise labs help keep the information fresh longer, because you have a visual image of how things work. If I study for 70-290 for a few weeks and then stop for a while, it's really hard to pick back up from where I left off. However, if I follow along with practise labs, I find I don't have nearly as many problems trying to refresh my memory. Hands-on is where it counts, it helps so much to see how things work in the real world as opposed to diagrams and screenshots, which IMO are only really useful for cramming the facts.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I think this affects all of us. However, if you think you've forgotten something, you'll most likely be surprised at what a brief review will bring back. It happens to me all the time. I'll think I've forgotten something, then begin looking it up and I'll suddenly have a feeling of "Now I remember!"
  • Options
    hackers_shackhackers_shack Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:
    I think this affects all of us. However, if you think you've forgotten something, you'll most likely be surprised at what a brief review will bring back. It happens to me all the time. I'll think I've forgotten something, then begin looking it up and I'll suddenly have a feeling of "Now I remember!"
    Exactly right. I read an interview with some IT hotshot and he mentioned the same thing. He then added, "The trick is in knowing where to find the answer."
    I've ran into it in web design. I added some rollover thumb pics to a website in Flash that displayed the large pic during the remote rollover. What is known as a disjointed rollover. 3 months later the client wanted more. What did I have to do? Break down my previous work so I could see how I'd done it. Now I think the knowledge is firmly embedded though.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ricka182 wrote:
    ..... I think it's a bit easier if you use the technology
    on a daily basis to remember.

BINGO!

The certifications are designed to highlight areas people work with. Why hold a cert if it covers areas that a person never uses? I'm speaking about holding LINUX+ or MSCA when all your job covers is installing ram upgrades or an occasional format.

I do realize people study for certs to improve their chances for a different job. Really, I do. However, (IMO) there are a number of people who hold certifications and they cannot perform 50% or better of the material covered on the cert they hold - Not much different than a paper cert.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    benjiga69benjiga69 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the most part I believe all the info is locked somehwere in our brains, its just hard to recollect it after a certain amount of time. I found that the best way for me to retain information is for example, especially if skills are not used everyday, is to try and figure out something that I come across that I know I studied but can't remember exactly how to do. And if all else fails I go look it up. This method helps it stick because you really get thinking about it! A good IT professional is 50% what he knows and 50% if he knows how and where to get the answers. We can't remember everything but if we know where to look it up then the answer is bound to surface. Resources...resources...resources. icon_wink.gif
    That which is easily obtained, is lightly esteemed!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes i forget a lot
    like that config i did 6 months ago
    no ,, i can't recall it verbatim boss ,, but give me 10 minutes and i'll refresh
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I guess I've been lucky enough (or planned enough :D ) that most of the certs I hold, I've held a job that was directly related. Also, as a trainer, some of the material never leaves; I mean after you explain and demonstrate hands on how to set up external trust relationships and how to configure stub zones properly for the 100th time icon_eek.gif, it starts to become embedded in the noggin icon_exclaim.gif