self-study for CCNA

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody
I want to study for CCNA by myself and I'm not unfamiliar with topics.actually I already knew about many topics.What do you guys suggest for study material,what to do and any other thing you think is good?

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Odom's library set is pretty good. Just make sure you get the updated books.
    The "31 days before your ccna exam" is a good book to review topics.

INE also has videos for free that you can stream. They also have the ccna voice videos that you can stream for free too.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I was told that Todd Lammie's CCNA books are pretty good and that you should get his book with the software so you can lab without having to purchase equipment.
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    My suggestion :

First: you may search the forum if this topic is already available, or not. (i know available with a very detailed explanation(s)) (many many times)

Secondly: if you can't find the related topics somehow. suggestion for the study plan is(my idea): Buy CBT nuggets, watch them, take notes. After you finished the whole series (ICND1&2), then read Todd Lammle CCNA Book.Practice on packet tracer. You are ready to go
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rampage, I'd begin with a practice test to identify which areas you already know well enough to pass. There's little sense re-studying that which you already know very well.

That's why many books have a "Do I Know This Already?" section.

With the remaining areas:

Theory - Odom or Lammle are the gold standards. See which style or writing you prefer.
    Practice - NetSim or Packet Tracer are the fastest ways to get practice.
  • rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all.It really helps and now I know what should i do.
    And for dear GOZCU:you're right .there are several topics about this but the difference is they all wanted to start from scratch but i already have experience with cisco world and many of it's protocols,so to make sure about it i asked.anyway i really appreciate your help.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You definitely want to get theory and practice. I'd even add Videos to the list - just for the fact it may clear up (further) any foggy ideas.

Trainsignal, cbtnuggets, ine.com all have videos. I like cbtnuggets though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    +1 for CBT Nuggets.. Jeremy Cioara is awesome. His videos are very informative and interesting to watch.
    I ordered CBT Nuggets,Jeremy Cioara.I will have it in 2or 3 days.I think everything's ready to start my journey for CCNAicon_cheers.gif.Thanks again
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    GOZCU wrote: »
    My suggestion :

First: you may search the forum if this topic is already available, or not. (i know available with a very detailed explanation(s)) (many many times)

Secondly: if you can't find the related topics somehow. suggestion for the study plan is(my idea): Buy CBT nuggets, watch them, take notes. After you finished the whole series (ICND1&2), then read Todd Lammle CCNA Book.Practice on packet tracer. You are ready to go

This is what I did for my CCENT. It worked like a charm. Watching the videos first to get an overall then reading to get the in depth knowledge helps everything sink in. I tried to just read, but felt like a was blind reading the whole time. The videos give the basic knowledge to understand what you are reading better.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    j.petrov wrote: »
    This is what I did for my CCENT. It worked like a charm. Watching the videos first to get an overall then reading to get the in depth knowledge helps everything sink in. I tried to just read, but felt like a was blind reading the whole time. The videos give the basic knowledge to understand what you are reading better.

Reading will always help you remember it for longer but videos just good for clearing up ideas and not much to try and memorize other then shoreline up gaps in your understanding.

Btw, for ICND 1 or CCENT, you can read most of the exam questions and only need to lab at 1/2 throttle and as long. And no, you won't be or feel like "blind reading" like the above poster suggested. ICND is fun cert everyone whose had the privilege of working in IT should attain because of how prevalent the fundamnetal concepts come into aply in ANY IT support desk as CCENT or ICND1 will enhance your career in any IR endeavor whether it be PC Tech or support desk that not networking related. Sets the stage for ICND2.

The videos are great but you need a BOOK YOU LIKE or have GENERATED high enough interest so you can pick up ANY book, to fill in the gaps and loose ends for cohesion.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's hard to get a lot of the topics. There's a lot of information thrown at you, you'll most likely need time to actually make that information sink into your skull. Otherwise it's like a man in satin PJs, jumping into a bed of Satin Sheets... The knowledge won't stay.

The topics aren't hard. It's just getting to know the theory behind everything. It's theory, that builds on itself. Which is a good thing. For example the OSI layer, while I thought "Why am I memorizing this". it's a basic model, great to atleast know of. Hell, it does make troubleshooting easier.

While you may think to go half throttle, I'd suggest go at it as a serious tone. Be just as serious about learning the basics and the foundation as you can. Practice, lab, Learn, Absorb. Take notes. Take all the knowledge you can... Use Cisco.com, Youtube, Google, Whitepapers, other books. There's a lot of help on these forums.

Also, be able to come to terms to realize that you may fail your test. We hope not, but it may happen. Most of us will drop a certification test sometime. I've dropped my CCNA test twice (CCNA composite, ICND2). You stick with it, swallow whatever mixed feelings you have and do it. You're not the first to not pass the ICND1 test.

One of the good things about Techexams is the motivation to trudge on with our careers, jobs, certifications. We're all people who are in the same boat - one way or another. It's what keeps me coming back.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Great points and posts.I definitely go with Roguetadhg about Techexams and the motivation that i acquire here.For me everything has changed since i found here.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I have to agree with Roguetadhg about the motivation factor here. I work 12 hours a day. That plus what little family life I have during the week doesn't leave any time for studying during the week so I have to do it all on the weekends. If it wasn't for this forum here I might've just given up. But this forum is one of the things that keeps me going.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already know some topics as you mentioned then you maybe better off using CBT nuggets, Chris Bryant or Rene Molenaar.
    Router Alley has a good free CCNA book on his website. There's lots of good free info out there on youtube also especially anything by Keith Barker (CCIE) and Humphrey Chung (CCNP)
    Boson does very good test questions for the CCNA so that's worth a look at too.

These sources are more than enough to help you pass the exams.
    I wouldn't bother using Wendell Odom's book unless you want to be bored to death.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.