Which Terminal program?

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been using Terraterm for the most part but heard a lot of people prefer SecureCRT. What do you like and why? i'm just curious reasons for and against.
I quite like the SecureCRT's tabbed features but isn't it only available as a 30 day trial?
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you could always pay

being a ccnp im guessing you use term alot
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I like SecureCRT, but not enough to pay for it though work does. I use XShell at home. Its free for home/school use and has all the features of SecureCRT and provides a very limited local shell functionality.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    On the Mac side, I like ZTerm and iTerm. iTerm is a little more customizable, but I prefer ZTerm for dealing with Cisco devices.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a big fan of free. I use Putty and Putty connection manager.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use Putty. It's got everything I want--tabs, telnet, SSH/certificates, auto-connect to common devices, cut + paste, easy to add to random devices I may be accessing, etc. I've tried SecureCRT and it's got all that, too. It just doesn't have anything more that compels me to buy it.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I use Putty. I couldn't bring myself to ask work to pay for SecureCRT, especially as I'd need at least 3 devices licensed to make it worthwhile (My PC, laptop and the old server we use to telnet from in the server room.)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I liked SecureCRT only for GNS3 though - tabs. Otherwise, if there was a program that could go highlight, color... that would be sweet.

I'd like to see something like Notepad++ customization for different languages.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use securecrt to run scripts I create at work.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    SecureCRT is what I like to use, the tab feature is great and also you can change your transparency levels so you can see other stuff on your desktop...sometimes it acts funny with certain cisco products like 1242 AP's and I think I had trouble with a 5500 controller once, then I just substitute in putty.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of free. I use Putty and Putty connection manager.

You converted me :)
    I hadn't realized there was a Putty Connection Manager until you said those magic words.Thanks
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pretty much just putty, but I only use it to touch a router, switch, or *nix system once in a great while. Almost never need to connect to more than one system. For simple needs like that, it's hard to beat, since it's free and works well.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea for some reason on cisco wireless products it doesnt work when consoling in. You see it but its not responding to the keyboard input. Thats when I also use putty as a fallback.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Almost never need to connect to more than one system. For simple needs like that, it's hard to beat, since it's free and works well.
    I'm often working on many systems at once--around nine at a time. Beyond being great for the simple situation you mentioned, PuTTY's tab system makes it a wonderful choice when you have more complex multi-connection scenarios. You can have it auto-connect and auto-login to all your usual devices at once, name the tabs something human-readable, cut + paste configurations between windows, re-order them to match the way you're working with them, etc.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrXpert wrote: »
    You converted me :)
    I hadn't realized there was a Putty Connection Manager until you said those magic words.Thanks
    Excellent! I have about 50 devices listed on mine. Makes having to go to different branch office's equipment very easy indeed.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    Check out MobaXterm, it has tabs and handles ssh/telnet/rdp/vnc and has a built in X server.

MobaXterm free X server and tabbed SSH client for Windows
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    +1 for Putty and Putty Connection Manager.

Simple, well organized, and free!
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Putty + Remote Desktop Manager for me.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I use SecureCRT, tabs act, but I bought it while a student, so it was only like 20 bucks.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use Putty and Putty Session Manager. It's a little different than Connection Manager. I like having multiple windows up at the same time versus tabs. I tile the windows across my 2nd monitor and using the session manager I can launch all devices at the same time. In Windows 7 if you start task manager and hit the applications tab you can select the windows / applications you want and right click / tile to tile them across the other monitor.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Another +1 for Putty and Putty Connection Manager. It works great!
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    pram wrote: »
    Check out MobaXterm, it has tabs and handles ssh/telnet/rdp/vnc and has a built in X server.

MobaXterm free X server and tabbed SSH client for Windows

Nice. Even has an easy built in packet capture!
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    Yeah its great, you get a bunch of cygwin utils as well without having to install that mess.
    That is nice as I always run cygwin anyway. Thanks for sharing!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I use Putty, no Connection Manager because I only have a handful to connect to. I also use iSSH for SSH and VNC connections from my iPhone+iPad.
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Jeremy Cioara (from CBT Nuggets) say's Tera Term how can I use anything else!
    Interface Technical Training Blog | Microsoft, Win7, Cisco, SharePoint, PowerShell, SQL, PMP, ITIL Training

To be honest, I like tera term as it has everything i want and its free!
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm addicted to SecureCRT....got it free from work though. I use it so much though that if I had to I probably would buy it, though I haven't used much else other than Putty so there may be other programs equally as featurific as SecureCRT that are free.

Main thing are the tabs, I connect to my home lab via a console server and open a tab for each switch and name it whatever I want/need. If I'm running GNS3 I can do the same for those emulated routers. It also automatically creates a log file for each session in case I need to go back and check something...which I don't really need for labs but I do rely on at work.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tools that I use and have used: PuTTY + PuTTY Connection Manager, Terminal on OS X, ZOC, and SecureCRT. May have to try Xshell as mentioned by networker.