"Testing" vlans

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
Hi all,

Need to get my head down and start studying harder again so starting with VLANs and VTP.

I have a physical lab, is there a way to 'test' VLANs without having multiple computers? Like I could plug my desktop into one switch but got nothing else till I get my work laptop.

Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: Could I just use the routers? So have 3 switches, 1 router connected to each switch and then my desktop to one of them. On each router do no ip routing, set an IP address and a default gateway.
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Hello~

would loopback interfaces work?

[edit]
    edited post because it seems like i'm clueless... lol
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could use routers, like you said - No ip routing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• vishaw1986vishaw1986 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey ,

you can test the vlan's without having multiple computers and without using routers .... just make a SVI interface on the switch and give IP address to the interface and test the connectivity by using ping command .

e.g switch1(config)#int vlan 2
    switch1(config-if)#ip add <ip> <mask>
    switch1(config)#int vlan 3
    switch1(config-if)#ip add <ip> <mask>

done the similar configuration on the switch2 .
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Well, it depends on his switches. Non layer 3 switches can only have one SVI active at a time. So he could test a single vlan and be fine.

But if he's got a router, then there's no need to go this route. Plug one router into a switch port, set it up as an access port in the vlan you want, assign the router an IP address. Plug a laptop or desktop or laptop into another port, configure it as an access port in the same vlan, configure the desktop/laptop with an IP in the same subnet as the router interface, and then ping the routers IP. If it works, so does the vlan.