I need to make some T1 cross over cables

inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
This Google search for how to make T1 cross over cabless eems to show several ways to do it.
do you just pick one and go with it, is there an industry standard, or a best practice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+results+how+to+make+a+t1+crossover+cable&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FH0iUKnDOOmK6gG3qoCYDA&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQsAQ&biw=1113&bih=860

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All the images I saw on the Google link you posted showed wire 1:4 and 2:5 on both sides.

Best practice? Buy a cable, don't make one. :p

(Engineer-hours cost too much.)
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    yeah but buying it and shipping it takes longer than making one
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All the images I saw on the Google link you posted showed wire 1:4 and 2:5 on both sides.

Best practice? Buy a cable, don't make one. :p

(Engineer-hours cost too much.)

1.) currently not employed
    2.) 1:4 & 2 : 5 ; on a flat cable, OK | on a round Cat5 [?]
    I should have stated: I am not making them from flat console cable. I have a roll of Cat5.

if both side are the same how is thatr a t1 crossover 1:4 2:5 on both sides?

I make all my cables while i am reading, i don't just sit and make cables.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It doesn't matter if you are using flat cable or not, the numbers are for the pins in the connector.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't matter if you are using flat cable or not, the numbers are for the pins in the connector.

OK iam concerned with the rj-45 connector pin 1:4, & 2 : 5 only, fine

we were taught that the unshielded twisted pair has different amount of twist per foot for each color group. If you strip away the cover, not disturbing the factory twist layout you see this is true. If you unwind to much you have lowerquality, if you make up your own color layout you have lower quality.
    are we essentialy saying pick any diagam you like advertised as a T1 crossover and go with it?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not too sure on the amount of twist involved. Any color coding should work especially in a lab.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Guess I'll chime in here.

Lets forget about the term T1.. the fact is the pin outs are different for T1 signaling than Ethernet. Your amount of twists aren't going to be affected, you're going to make this cable just like you would a Ethernet cable - the only difference is the pin out will be different. Lets not forget.. that when a T1 comes into the NIU the signal is boosted and sent on its way.. The only time you should be concerned with signal quality is if you're demarc is extended and how the NIU is programmed (hot or cold). You can actually run T1 cables with Cat 3 so dont worry about the twists..

T1 pin out is: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800f9d37.shtml

RX ring

RX tip

Not Used

TX ring

TX tip

Not Used

Not used

Not used