Options

Linux + and working in a NOC

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm always looking around the job boards for fun (weird I know)

I noticed that a lot of NOC positions require or ask for beginner to intermediate Linux knowledge. For an entry level position in a NOC would Linux + be enough in your opinion?

Instead of going for A+ or N+ spending your efforts on Linux +.....

It seems like if you had this certification followed up with book knowledge and maybe some experience (<1 year) you could have a decent shot at one of these positions. Especially if you didn't mind working 2nd or 3rd shift.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If they're supporting primarily Linux, it makes a lot of sense. While Linux+ is very entry-level, just like its other CompTIA brethren, I would say it is much more applicable if you're supporting Linux systems than A+ and Net+ are to supporting Windows systems. A+ only has very basic Microsoft stuff on it, hardly enough to indicate sufficient knowledge. The MS client OS exams have, excepting Vista, always been much more geared towards enterprise deployment than general knowledge of the OS. Net+ is nice but a lot of the material is overkill for a support role, unless it's one actually supporting network devices, in which case it's wholly insufficient.

Of course, for a shop not supporting primarily Linux, it wouldn't be enough IMO.

Referencing another thread of yours, I'd definitely rather see a CS degree on a resume than Linux+, even an in-progress one (say, 50% complete or more), for that type of position. Of course, people can get entry-level Comptias and jobs out of high school, so it's not an either/or situation.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have never worked in a NOC, but I always suspect it's because of most of the networking operating systems derived from UNIX/Linux OS. Cisco IOS was based on BSD, and some businesses use FreeBSD as their routers/proxy gateways. To me, it makes sense since they would expect their junior engineers to be able to intuitively learn the Cisco IOS commands they never seen before with little references.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had a few NOC interviews, and in my experience they don't delve deeper than Net+ linux knowledge for the entry-level positions. What I mean by that is the command line network+ objectives for linux should be just fine.

I do agree with your general sentiment though, Linux knowledge is very attractive to employers looking for NOC people; however I wouldn't be eliminating A+ or Net+ from the equation.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    So its best just to get everything?

For the people in the UK, do the comptia exams hold any weight?
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    If the NOC is looking for a guy with linux then sure why not.