A newbie making my way into the world of networking

manav.g.gargmanav.g.garg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and i would like to tell everyone that i am just another newbie trying to make my way in to the networking world. I am currently pursuing my B.tech in Computer Science.
A career in networking has been one of my dreams and now i am determined to achieve it. My ultimate aim is to have a CCIE in both Routing & Switching and Security. Yes i know it will take a me a long time to reach that height but i have taken the first step by beginning my preparation for CCNA.
I have been suggested by many experienced people to study from Tod Lammle's books and follow CBT-Nuggets video tutorials.
Since I am a new comer I would like to get some tips and suggestion for starting my preparations.
I will be posting my progress and studying schedule on this thread.:)

Looking forward to a successful career.icon_cool.gif

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck with your studies and career. :)
  • Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All the best buddy..!!
    Try going through the videos first and then read through the book...
    That was my way of making the book seem easier :D
  • manav.g.gargmanav.g.garg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it necessary to get Network + certificate before or should i just focus on CCNA
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is it necessary to get Network + certificate before or should i just focus on CCNA
    You don't need the Network+ to earn the CCNA. The Network+ is easier and has more of a server focus. I'd only go that route if you plan to hit the workforce before completing your CCNA.
    I am still in my final year which means I wont be doing a job for at-least 1 year. My short term plans are to get CCNA and CCNA security before i graduate.
    I would suggest you not to haste into it... because cisco is a EXTREMELY HUGE (thats the best I can describe)... and only pursuing a certificate should not be the goal.. Dig deep into the concepts... certificates are just like a surplus to your profile.. no doubt they are a huge surplus.!! but you should be able to prove what your profile says about you.. good luck mate..! :)
    Yes i understand that only earning a certificate will not do much and i really aim towards building core knowledge and then move forward in this line.
    I aim towards giving my CCNA in December which gives me 5 months to build my knowledge. And i am also looking for a company where i can volunteer to get some experience parallel to my studies. Will it be a good idea?
    Whatever you think will be right for you... but according to me you should keep your focus more on your Final year of graduation. Cisco will be there as long as you can imagine... Im not saying dont do anything about it. you can keep on exploring a few basic concepts frequently.. so that you can make fast progress when your on your CCNA in full swing :)
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    but according to me you should keep your focus more on your Final year of graduation. Cisco will be there as long as you can imagine

I agree with Prasad, the focus should be on your graduation. Once you've graduated you can concentrate on the knowledge and concepts needed for certification.
    Good luck with the studies! Two CCIEs are a big goal to aim for and there's no reason why you can't get there!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
    I am focusing on my final year studies and whatever time i am left with i dedicate it towards learning the networking concepts and exploring linux.
    Achieving 2 CCIE's is daunting task and I have taken it up as a challenge which ultimately motivates me.
    I will not stop learning after that ... but earning two CCIE's is the bare minimum i have set for myself.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck! You might want to purchase a small Cisco lab once you start studying for CCNA to mess around with while you're reading. It helps to be able to actually apply what you're reading about. Don't spend a ton of money though because this equipment can be found on ebay for relatively cheap. I'm working on my first CCIE and it is definitely a marathon so you're in for some fun.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Thank you,
    and Best of luck for CCIE. I hope you earn your certificate and would love to receive guidance from you in the future.
  • bin00010111bin00010111 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went this route with certs.
    MCSE (I should never have done this first, I forgot most of the knowledge until my Net+ and CCNA studies) ,MCP+I, A+, Network+, Linux+ CCNA

A+-So you have basic computer knowledge.
    Net+-for VERY basic Network knowledge
    Linux+-Or some sort of linux training since you will probably run into it
    CCNA-I broke this into two test ICND 1 and then ICND 2

I am doing my associates right now in business and then moving into bachelors in Networking

I am also studying CAPM and ITILv3

I like to be varied in my knowledge. It has been good and bad to do this. A person who specializes in one thing may make more, but in my opinion they do what the past has done and that is limit themselves. If the networking field ever failed (which it wont without an EMP) what would you fall back on?

It is not guarenteed a person can hop into a field. Although that Bachelors in Computer science will make a difference for you.

Good luck on everything.
    Also, if you think Cisco is where you want to go, view Juniper and some other router people too. I love Cisco but Juniper zones are awesome. Make sure your ready to lock yourself into one type of router company. Or learn them all at a basic level and specialize in one. Mikrotik routers are insanely awesome but training and a good knowledge base is hard to come by.

Also try to find Cisco Packet Tracer (IS NOT AVALIABLE WITH OUT NETCAD TRAINING..but if you look around....). Will make your life easier. I had plenty of routers in my house, 9, but that does not even come close to the ease of packet tracer to build the layout of the network FIRST and then practice hands on.

Wendell Odom book on CCNA is good. I went with the ICND 1 book then ICND 2. I just found the exam easier with two test.
    Also, if you think Cisco is where you want to go, view Juniper and some other router people too. I love Cisco but Juniper zones are awesome. Make sure your ready to lock yourself into one type of router company. Or learn them all at a basic level and specialize in one. Mikrotik routers are insanely awesome but training and a good knowledge base is hard to come by.

Also try to find Cisco Packet Tracer (IS NOT AVALIABLE WITH OUT NETCAD TRAINING..but if you look around....). Will make your life easier. I had plenty of routers in my house, 9, but that does not even come close to the ease of packet tracer to build the layout of the network FIRST and then practice hands on.

Wendell Odom book on CCNA is good. I went with the ICND 1 book then ICND 2. I just found the exam easier with two test.

hey bin00010111

i understand you concern for only training in one type of router company but since i am just stepping into the networking career i would like to take small but firm steps to build my knowledge. A career in network would demand that i should be capable of handling all major technologies including Juniper. I will work towards juniper once i have some experience but for now my focus would be on cisco.

As i cannot afford to have a lab kit at home right now i am working with packet tracer. I have been watching a lot of free tutorials on youtube and implementing different network topologies.

I thought of splitting the exams but now i think i can manage to give it together.
    Some people might disagree, but I could have taken the entire CCNA without touching a router thanks to packet tracer.

I agree with the small steps. As far as your comment about, "A career in network would demand that i should be capable of handling all major technologies including Juniper." I would punch any manager who thought that!!! It is hard enough to deal with one technology and keep up let alone multiple!! Espically if you do not use one or the other at your job.

I have mikrotik and cisco here. I want to learn Juniper but right now would not have a need to. I play with it but no hardcore learning.

If you need anything let me know.

Good luck with everything.
    I am finding the cbt nuggets very helpful. As suggested by many i watch the videos atleast 2 3 time to let it all sink and then follow up with books.
    Currently i am reading tod lammle's