Just got my first lab!

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
Just got everything in the mail and I can't be more excited! I got...

3x 2950G-48
2620XM

...and a rack. Any tips on what to do first? Any good beginner labs I should try out? Thanks! :)
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take a picture and post it on Techexams.

That's what I suggest you do first :)

Bonus points for the entire computer/monitor/layout. I need my inner geek fed today.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1+ on what Reguetadhg said.

Plus, power on each device to see if there's a current config on there. If there's a password, do a password reset and see what the last person was using it for :) I always enjoy getting equipment and finding out what the last person used their routers for.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Step 2 would be save the existing configs (capture as text too so you can study them).
    Step 3 would be save the IOSs so you can reload while doing your studies. Use the Cisco feature navigator to see what each IOS is capable of.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Working at the moment, but here's the basic setup. Oh...and you wouldn't wanna see my PC setup right now. It's a closed laptop hooked to an older 22" monitor via VGA cable. But that's only because I have absolutely no room at all in the crappy room I live in...which is why I need my CCNA to get even just a decent apartment! lol >_<

More cables came with it, just threw them in for no apparent reason. icon_razz.gif
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just need one more router with a wic1t to get the hub and spoke going in the frame relay section.
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting down the Cisco path too, what part of MA are you from?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out my Lab Gear Blog, it has a bunch of links to labs for CCENT/CCNA. Look in my Sig below.

hth
    From Saugus, currently in Revere. You?

Thanks Ltat42a!
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Looking good!

What's your opinion on the rack itself? I see that the rails are a bit thinner than most Skeleteks on the forums. The thing is, the racks available to me are thin as well, similar to yours. So I was wondering if this kind of rack would hold all the routing/switching equipment well.

=) thanks in advance if you have time to share
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
    The rack seems to be good so far! No bending or anything of the sort and seems pretty sturdy. When I eventually go for CCNP, etc. I'll be sure to grab a Skeletek. They've been sold out for so long.
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Look good man!!! Now the addiction begins. icon_lol.gif
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your on your way.. the real fun is about to start.. :)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have that same rack cost me like $22 on amazon. It holds everything well. The skeletek on wheels looks so sweet though.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Yeah i had the amazon rack before I get the Skeletek. The amazon rack held up REALLY well, but dang the Skeletek is just pretty.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I figured creating another thread would be pointless and would just clutter the forum of my issues!

I just moved away from home in an apartment closer to Boston, and I've always been iffy about tripping breakers, even though I never have before (don't ask me why lol). I know this setup is nothing compared to some CCNP/CCIE racks (even some CCNAs), but based on the equipment I bought...

3x 2950G-48
    2620XM

...do I really have anything to worry about even if everything was on? Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea or if someone knows how much power they really consume. I would appreciate it immensely!
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I figured creating another thread would be pointless and would just clutter the forum of my issues!

I just moved away from home in an apartment closer to Boston, and I've always been iffy about tripping breakers, even though I never have before (don't ask me why lol). I know this setup is nothing compared to some CCNP/CCIE racks (even some CCNAs), but based on the equipment I bought...

3x 2950G-48
    2620XM

...do I really have anything to worry about even if everything was on? Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea or if someone knows how much power they really consume. I would appreciate it immensely!

I've measured the ones I have in my lab, and you won't trip any breakers in your lab - the 2950s in my lab are all 24port, but even then these don't take much power vs something like PoE devices. You can usually tell how much any device can consume by the power supply / wattage / amps.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/86689-watt-usage.html
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.