Why do people treat forums as personal search engines?

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
Why do people start threads on forums asking very basic questions that can be answered by doing a simple search on their favorite search engine? Every forum I visit is littered with people asking the same simple questions over and over again. Is it because they don't understand how to search or Is it because they're too lazy? Or is it something else?

I've noticed that many of these people tend to be young. Are we raising a generation that's dependent on others telling them all the answers? A generation that doesn't know how to search for their own answers?

I get the feeling if I search, there's been a similar thread, but I feel like ranting/venting.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most places try to emphasis the search button.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would say they're either being extremely lazy or incompetent (I really want to say "stupid" here but they have the potential to improve). I feel your frustration too. The young people with no IT experience, certs, and IT education are tolerable, but the rest of them are just annoying.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is my pet peeve with LinkedIn. You join a professional group where you expect to engage in advanced topics with fellow IT geeks and many of the posts are one liners such as "Give me all material for Exchange 2010", "Can you tell anyone server 2008 Vs 2012" or "please send me proxy server software full version". Most of the time the OPs have system admin or engineer in their title.

Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to help newcomers and jr. level folks but you gotta do your homework first and then come ask questions. And they better be clear. We can't answer what we cant understand. Frustrating.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is all to common now days. I try to remind helpdesk here at where I work to search google and actually look for the answers before coming to me. We also have an office in Japan that has an I.T. staff bigger then here at corporate hq and they don't even try to find an answer. The first thing they do is send me an email and submit a ticket in our system. SO FREAKIN ANNOYING.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There have been some really, really, really basic type stuff asked. Things like "Hi I was wondering if anybody can tell me what I need to do to get my CCNA. I think somebody once said something along the lines of "if you are asking something like that you are probably not a good fit for IT".

If I ask a basic question it is usually not an answer I am looking for, but looking for opinions based on personal experience.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Just you this link in replies - Let me google that for you
    It's funny to watch someone's reaction when they see how simple it is :)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tickets keep me employed. I could care less if the solution is "Rebooting". Or "I don't know what this is, transferring to programming". I get scolded a lot for trying to do more. *sigh*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Most of the time the OPs have system admin or engineer in their title.

To be fair-- sometimes these folks get busy, get tired or get put in high pressure situations where they need an answer quick. They could still do better in most cases, though.
    Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to help newcomers and jr. level folks but you gotta do your homework first and then come ask questions. And they better be clear. We can't answer what we cant understand. Frustrating.

Agreed. I've been guilty on occasion of not being clear, but I'm striving to improve that.
    dave330i wrote: »
    Is it because they don't understand how to search or Is it because they're too lazy? Or is it something else?

I've noticed that many of these people tend to be young. Are we raising a generation that's dependent on others telling them all the answers? A generation that doesn't know how to search for their own answers?

I think we're molding a culture where people want too many rapid answers, too many quick fixes, and are all too willing to use people before moving on. There is a certain amount of selfishness in these situations-- people can and should use the search, or go out and hit Google rather than wasting other people's time.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey, can you guys tell me which is more important? Certs or Degree?

:P
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey, can you guys tell me which is more important? Certs or Degree?

LOL! Yes, that is my least favorite question that is thrown around on TE icon_lol.gif
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can anybody tell me what will get me paid more, CCNA with MCSE or CCNA with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If the person interviewing loves reeses peanut butter cups you just found a way in. lol

The 2 main ones I see frequent job boards. Certs or degrees which is better. How much will I make with a ccie and no experience.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what will get me paid more, CCNA with MCSE or CCNA with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?

This post just caused me to consume large quantities of chocolate and peanut butter. I hope you're happy.

Regarding the topic, I don't mind the people that are obviously at a loss how to go about delving into a given subject. For example, there are some things that are difficult to google search without having a fair bit of understanding in order to fine tune your search for something relevant. Asking advice on how to get the ball rolling is often easier and more productive than weeding through 5 million search results that are only tangentially related to what you are really wanting to know.

That's one side of the coin. The other, of course, is pure laziness. There are a lot of folks out there like that these days. In fact, most people are like electrons--they take the path of least resistance, in spite of the fact that it's to their own detriment to do so. The irony is, most people work harder at avoiding work than they would have if they had simply tackled whatever project they were trying to avoid head on.

Just my observations.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    So like if I get a CCIE isn't the min pay somewhere in the ballpark of 1.5 million dollars a year? Thanks!

Now don't get me wrong I like to help out people, but sometimes when even a 10 year old can google it and find the answer I draw the line.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If no one asked and answered questions on forums, there'd be no answers to google for. *deepthoughts*

I don't mind people asking question, but at least ask the question in such a way that shows that you've put thought into it and you're trying to get past a part you're stuck on.

Threads like "how many questions on the Network+ test" or "where do I sign up to take the CCNA" always irk me because the answers are right there on the websites.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you notice the 8th hit on that page?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lol, good catch, MAC_Addy. Although, the OP in that thread was doing right thing. I am okay with that kind of question as I am sure most of us are.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're exactly right, but I just wanted to see how far I could get down the list before TE came up! :P
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first thing they do is send me an email and submit a ticket in our system. SO FREAKIN ANNOYING.
    Tickets are great. They let you know the issue is being tracked and provide an easy way to refer to it. As in, "I couldn't do X, because I've been blocked since Wednesday by ticket# 12345. I already asked them to mark it high priority and they expect to have a resolution by the end of the week."
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    If no one asked and answered questions on forums, there'd be no answers to google for. *deepthoughts*

This!

Because while I almost never ask questions in forums, I rely on all the people who have asked all kinds of questions related to everything from IT related topics to various things related to raising kids :D

But I will say that some peoples mentality does get annoying, I have family who are fairly competent people but instead of just searching for their own answers they ask me. The worst is when you dont get all the required info from them, you answer, only to receive new information that completely changes the answer/solution.
  • Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    There's already a thread about this.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    How about this one: "How much money should I be getting paid if I have 4 years experience?" (Essential details omitted: No location given. No education level given. No certifications given. No information about what KIND of experience said person has)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since we're all ranting - I'll add mine icon_smile.gif

What usually peeves me off after these types of questions is when there are responses and conversation and the OP never provides any additional followups or further acknowledgement.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    ^^^^ THAT. Or they ask the same question phrased SLIGHTLY differently a few months later.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    "How long will it take me to study for the XYZ exam?"

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    12 parsecs.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno