Options

Linux Newbie starting a journey

Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, a short background on me. I've a posted some on on this site mostly in the CCNA forum. I work in IT Support mostly supporting Windows machines, Apple, and Android phones. I was initially looking to take the CCNA plunge and bought the book, a couple of routers and such but just haven't had the time to fully delve into it. I enjoy networking but I've had this desire for about 2 years to learn linux and not just playing on a desktop at home, I mean really learn the guts. I've toyed around with Ubuntu and also worked or owned an Apple for 10 years.

I just enjoy working outside of the Windows tunnel and have decided, for the time being to switch my efforts to learnng Linux. I felt a good way to learn would be to aim for an entry level certification. It supplies me the motivation and a realistic goal. My other reasoning is that I won't be moving into a network administrator role in the near future and although I enjoyed learning Cisco it felt distant and not real world. I feel I'll be able to use the skills I'll learn with Linux+ to further my current career and knowledge. Although I don't use Linux at work I most certainly run into from time to time outside of work and could maybe incorporate it into my daily tasks. Anyway, just wanted to say hello.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hello back! icon_lol.gif

I think you are on the right path. Linux+ has two parts to it, and I'm sure you did your homework. From what I was told, you would learn the basic things. I am currently working on RHCSA, and I'm skipping Linux+ since I can quickly pick up that certification. It has no market value to most employers who are looking for Linux admin. They want the RHCE, which is after the RHCSA. I'm gunning for both exams, but will be going for the RHCE much later.

I decided to skip this because multiple-choice exams wouldn't test my true knowledge, and most likely I will forget what I learn. Plus, I should note that I'm looking to get into linux admin role. Well, I wish you good luck on your journey. Takes baby step at a time. This method is helpful. I read a 20 to 30-page chapter a day.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Baby steps is what I'm after at this point because I'm up to my neck in babies. I've got 1.5 year old and newborn due in September. :). Linux+ is also a low cost way to break into learning Linux for now.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another low-cost method is just doing some self-study and exploration. Studying for a Linux+ type certification offers structure and a goal. But if you are self-motivated and you want to have the opportunity to delve deeper into specific areas or just skim other areas, you could try some resources on-line such as TLDP. Some places to get started include:

The Linux Documentation Project
    From DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO
    Introduction to Linux
  • Options
    Awesome thanks Paul! I'll check those out.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I think for someone who isn't quite sure how to get into the guts of a *nix system - a book (even a cert book) is a good place to start since it maps the entire structure in the correct order so it's easier to understand Linux compared to just google things around.
    I for one installed Linux as my main OS - that forces me to deal with it everyday on regular basis.
    good luck.
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I also want to learn Linux get in to the guts the small and large intestine and yank them out.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I just passed the A+ today, and I think I am going for Linux+ next. I am on the same boat as you being new to *nix. Hopefully the Linux+ will get my feet wet though.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    kaldroubykaldrouby Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RedHat is what you want ,, linux+ is a good start my friend !! but i would say the money is in RedHat administration !!!!!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, I need to wipe my computer anyways. It'll feel fresh to start off with a new OS :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams