Options

Interview with 6x CCIE Roman Rodichev!!!

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting interview. A very accomplished man. One thing I noticed or comment, but do you think it's easier to get these CCIE as a trainer like Narbik or having the inside track by working for Cisco?

Also, I've never heard of his company. I looked up to see if they had R&S boot camp, and they don't
    . I'd be interested in hearing about the quality of his SP class.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    do you think it's easier to get these CCIE as a trainer like Narbik or having the inside track by working for Cisco?
    Working for Cisco typically doesn't provide any magical inside track to certification. You may have access to slightly better tools, such as the Catalyst IOU, but that's about it.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    The only advantage to it, and it might not even apply to every Cisco employee/trainer, is that your JOB is Cisco and you are working on it day in and day out.

For other people with full-time employment, we might not be able to "practice" or have as much exposure to "Cisco".

But other than that, as mentioned above, there is no "inside magic" to certifications just because you're employed at Cisco...
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Agreed.

There is no secret sauce. It still takes a Cisco employee many months of preparation to get a CCIE, just like everyone else. Met a guy who had like five already, and he said it was still going to be six to nine months of sacrificed time (interpret: sleep/family) to get another one, and he wasn't sure if he would do it or not.

Now, might there be some slight advantage, as in access to lab equipment or something, but for the most part, when they have to pursue this stuff, they have to do a lot of study during off-hours, just like everyone else, and try to fit in some during the work day when possible, just like everyone else.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Buddy of mine went to work for Cisco- they made his fulltime job for 3 months'ish to study for the CCIE lab.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that working at Cisco opens all these doors, but there has to be some advantages like discounts, access to labs, software (like IOU) and time for
    professional development.

Like I visited their main campus two years ago and got to see their CRS and troubleshooting labs. I'm sure it's for proof of concept and development but I'm sure it's also available.

We look at two of the architects and we see that they were former Cisco employees.

And my other comment was with the fact that trainers like Roman, Narbik, Dennis or Scott Morris are afforded time to pursue these certs as it will help with development, content and credibility of their
    products.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that working at Cisco opens all these doors, but there has to be some advantages like discounts, access to labs, software (like IOU) and time for professional development.
    You're dreaming, except for the IOU access. Your typical Cisco employee is going to download GNS3, build a rack from used equipment on eBay, or rent from INE just like anyone else. And they're going to do that after putting in their 9-5, because companies pay you to work.
    Like I visited their main campus two years ago and got to see their CRS and troubleshooting labs. I'm sure it's for proof of concept and development but I'm sure it's also available.
    I won't comment on that particular lab, but companies typically don't allow random employees to play for learning purposes on their development, production, or demo systems. It's likely that the person directly responsible for that system does find some spare cycles to learn on it.

Now, I'm sure some roles within Cisco afford more access to training materials than others. For example, those who are developing and teaching the official courses. :)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You're dreaming, except for the IOU access. Your typical Cisco employee is going to download GNS3, build a rack from used equipment on eBay, or rent from INE just like anyone else. And they're going to do that after putting in their 9-5, because companies pay you to work.

I won't comment on that particular lab, but companies typically don't allow random employees to play for learning purposes on their development, production, or demo systems. It's likely that the person directly responsible for that system does find some spare cycles to learn on it.

Depends entirely on the company. At Comcast, we do have a couple CMTS's reserved for lab use that are specifically for people to dick around with to learn how the tech works and how to configure various features. While it's not for random employees, it is for the engineers who actually work on the various CMTS platforms. Now, if they'll only approve my request for some Juniper gear to be added to the lab....
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    The CCIE that taught at my IPv6 seminar was using IOU. He said it took him more than once and he had to sacrifice a lot of time.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The company I work for encourages you to play in the lab...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    The company I work for encourages you to play in the lab...

Mine encourages it too, but the only problem is we never have the time to play!
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□

Now, I'm sure some roles within Cisco afford more access to training materials than others. For example, those who are developing and teaching the official courses. :)

Cisco is still offering to pay for their employees' attempt(s) up to a certain number of times. That really helps when you know it's not always coming out of your own pocket.
  • Options
    We're just entertaining the convo but you don't think as an employee of Cisco you don't get discounts, incentives or access to labs?

I'm telling you they had a myriad of labs. There was a room for disaster tests. I was there for a Cisco Network Academy meeting and they showed us the troubleshooting lab. They also showed us a CRS3 lab. We got to a tour. They showed us slots, modules, etc. I talked to a few of the techs and they seemed to be a part of the support team for that program.

As an Academy instructor, I used to get free books and vouchers to CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security and a few other tests. They also gave discounts.

I cannot believe that, especially for their engineers, they don't allow them education opportunities via Cisco Learning Network, classes, labs, discounts, etc.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I am sure their benefits package includes some perks that pertain specifically to Cisco training.
  • Options
    We're just entertaining the convo but you don't think..
    Spider, while I'm privvy to what Cisco has offered to full-time employees and contractors in many instances, I won't elaborate on a public forum. My final vote goes to a Trainer having more opportunities than a typical Cisco engineer, but a Trainer at Cisco probably having the mostest opportunities. ;)
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    And don't forget that you get access to the Cisco 360 program for free as an employee :)
    And a contractor working for Cisco is not the same thing as an employee...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is pretty old. 3 years of the post date.

I wonder how he's doing now. If he went the design track? Studying for the CCAr exam?

He sounds like he could be a good person to sit down, play poker with and shoot the breeze with. Except for Forsaken, he'll probably throw scenarios at Roman trying to trip him up. icon_surprised.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    This is pretty old. 3 years of the post date.

I wonder how he's doing now. If he went the design track? Studying for the CCAr exam?

He sounds like he could be a good person to sit down, play poker with and shoot the breeze with. Except for Forsaken, he'll probably throw scenarios at Roman trying to trip him up. icon_surprised.gif

No, no, I'm pretty sure he's one of those folks that's smarter than me. Those are the people whose knowledge I like to exploit for my own nefarious ends!
  • Options
    Nefarious Ends.

Sometimes you scare me, Forsaken.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Nefarious Ends.

Sometimes you scare me, Forsaken.

I get that alot, I don't know why. I'm just a sweet lovable teddy bear who happens to be kind of evil. Is that so wrong?
  • Options
    I have a new avatar theme for you, Ted:

Ted-Movie.jpg

I've never seen the movie so I can't speak of his evilness.

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I think regardless of working directly for Cisco or being in a situation like I am where my sole job is on the network. It takes massive amounts of time and dedication and even though I have 5yrs of hands on experience, transitioning to study and building my lab is taking some focus and dedication.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?