Options

GLEG & Vegas Network Security 2012

AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
Anyone headed out to Vegas for the conference or are you still burned out from Black Hat / DEFCON? icon_wink.gif

I am headed out there for the conference and the Law of Data Security and Investigations course (GLEG). Seems like and interesting course.

Anyone attempt this one?

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know anyone who has gone through that course, but it looks very interesting to me. I love attending legal talks at conferences because it provides all kinds of neat insight into how policy and technical matters are affected from a legal perspective and there are always gotchas and surprises you don't expect. If I took SANS 523, I probably wouldn't do the GIAC cert attempt for it, but I'm sure it'll be informative nonetheless.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    I agree... I think the class wil be great. I did not intend to take the exam. But my employer wants to see a result they can quantify after paying for attendance. Who am I to argue with free training, a week in Vegas and exam attempt?

I will post feedback from the conference and the instruction when I get back.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the course.

I had looked into it a while back, my interest was more on the privacy and identity protection regulations. The SANS material seems a bit more of an overview of a lot of different legal topics. And the expense didn't seem worth it. I am planning to wait for the new Privacy Association materials to be released for the CIPP instead.

Hope you enjoy the course. Maybe if you strike it rich at the tables you don't have to go back to work icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Who's the instructor? Is it someone who is a long-time forensics/IP/cyber attorney or expert witness? If so, the "I've been there and done that" stories s/he has should be worth the price of admission alone.
  • Options
    The instructor is Benjamin Wright. I think he fits thebill for what you reference above. I have followed his blog and read a fewthings he has written. He seems like he is the real deal. All in all it should be a great experience.

As for luck at the tables… I have no luck. When it comes to "games of chance". I have no chance!