Options

How on earth do I install Windows Server 2008 R2 on my PC?

completefailurecompletefailure Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm a total noob. Even though I'm old, I just started learning IT 3 weeks ago cause I desperately need a new career.

I was easily able to download and install Windows Server 2008 on a virtual PC. I used a .iso file but it's not working for the R2.

I have Windows 7 and created a Virtual PC.

I found the .iso file but when I click 'continue' the pages just load and load:
Download: Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

I tried the method the VHD file. I opted for the one that's split into 5 files since my connection isn't too good. I ran the application to install the vhd file and then set it as the vhd in the settings of my virtual PC. I rebooted the virtual PC and it starts loading the windows but then it just keeps rebooting in a loop.

Download: Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation VHD Images for Hyper-V (180 Days) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

I read on a forum that the Windows Server 2008 R2 doesn't go with VIrtual PC, that I need Hyper-V.

So I'm dowloading this Hyper-V.iso file and will try to install it and then create a Virtual machine (or what do you call it?) and try to install the vhd file.

Download: Microsoft® Hyper-V

I suppose I'll run into lots of other glitches though cause I don't really know what I'm doing icon_sad.gif