Options

WGU BS IT General vs Network Admin or other specialty?

Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
Hi Guys

New member here. I run an on site IT business. I service small business in the area and also do a ton of work for national companies such as SW roll-outs, T1 circuit installs, server break/fix, and install of netapp devices, routers, firewalls, etc. I get exposed to lots of data centers and commercial sites. I absolutely love the variety! Every day is different.

That said my IT knowledge is pretty limited. I've completed a non-technical Associates and some additional college classes. I have the A+ and N+ but they are from 2000/2001. The rest of my knowledge is from doing. I think the WGU BS IT would be great chance for me to increases my knowledge.

I am torn between the general BS IT and probably the Net Admin specialty. My schedule varies between very busy and dead so I would like to finish the progam within 1 year. I would love to knock out the CCNA but it does cover a lot of material I am unfamilar with. Thoughts? What would you advise? What other learning opportunities would you suggest? Thanks very much!

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I must say your work experience is impressive, and I'm surprised you don't have at least a few mid to high-level IT certifications because you could have established some sort of partnerships with the vendors to support your business. If I were you, I would either put the BS: NDM degree on hold or enroll into the general IT degree program. WGU won't go away for at least another 10 years. I think you should try pursuing the CCNA and other certifications relevant to your roles before you enroll in WGU. That will at least get your mind back in shape since WGU requires a lot of self-discipline, motivation, and good time-management. If you are good at self-study, then I don't think WGU will be a problem for you.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IF you go to WGU I would recommend completing a Security+ just so you can update the A+ and Net+ to something that will transfer in. That plus your associates should knock out most of the core classes and leave just the other certs and the core classes that WGU makes everyone take. With that I would do the network admin track. I know more then most that not everyone can afford to get a CCNA or MCSA 2008 on their own. If your job is like mine they'll pay for school but not for certs...go figure...which is why I went this route.
  • Options
    rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go for the general IT degree, if you are in need of having a degree to advance. Do whatever you can to get your degree done ASAP. If you did the general IT degree along with with all that transfer credit, you may be able to do one term instead of two. Then work on learning certs or other areas of specialization later on your own time.

Good luck!
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ^^ yep

ive posted else other places on the forum here its about $16 a day to go to wgu so do it as fast as possible

for you id say get as many of the lower end certs that you can before you start unless you can complete them all under 16 ~ 20 days at wgu (voucher cost and 1 or 2 books for each costs about 16 ~ 20 days at $16 per day)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    rep21 wrote: »
    Go for the general IT degree, if you are in need of having a degree to advance. Do whatever you can to get your degree done ASAP. If you did the general IT degree along with with all that transfer credit, you may be able to do one term instead of two. Then work on learning certs or other areas of specialization later on your own time.

Good luck!

I am self employed so no job advancement nor tuition reimbursement except for Uncle Sam's contribution. If I thought I could do it in 1 semester I'd go for the general BS IT but I don't think I am as focused nor as experienced as some here.
  • Options
    ^^ yep

ive posted else other places on the forum here its about $16 a day to go to wgu so do it as fast as possible

for you id say get as many of the lower end certs that you can before you start unless you can complete them all under 16 ~ 20 days at wgu (voucher cost and 1 or 2 books for each costs about 16 ~ 20 days at $16 per day)

Great point, thank you.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You get a good sized tax credit for going to school so it might not be bad to give it a shot either by directly paying for it or going through school loans. Since you seem to enjoy networking as your name implies, I would recommend going through a networking-oriented major so you can get some study materials and the vouchers paid for. Starting school and being self-motivated is a difficult thing but once you start, it gets easier. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    You get a good sized tax credit for going to school so it might not be bad to give it a shot either by directly paying for it or going through school loans. Since you seem to enjoy networking as your name implies, I would recommend going through a networking-oriented major so you can get some study materials and the vouchers paid for. Starting school and being self-motivated is a difficult thing but once you start, it gets easier. Good luck!

Thanks!