Bought some cool stuff today :) Suggestions on a router?

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey guys. I went to best buy today and figured since I had a birthday coming up I'd treat myself to a few things and make my home setup a lot cooler. I'm always running out of hard drive space, being forced to back them up to dvds or other external drives so it's always a hassle to go through each external drive or backed up dvds to get a file or something I need so I picked up a WD 4TB cloud storage network drive. Now I have a centralized data storage device I can access remotely from any of the devices in my house which is pretty cool not having to use all those cables. Tomorrow I am going to configure the media center on this device and set it up so I can stream stuff to my flat panel LED smartTV/HDTV icon_cool.gif and my projector so now I can stream media to my tv in the living room or to my projector in my room all from the convenience of my laptop. Now I'll be able to stream movies or tv shows from netflix or amazon with a few clicks. I setup this projector in our room so me and the wife can watch movies and stuff it's like being in a mini-theatre. It's a setup I'd highly recommend. It's not that expensive and now we can lay in bed, find a movie or whatever, and stream it. Anyway, I didn't mean to go on and on but I want to get a better router and I was hoping for some suggestions. Right now all I have is a linksys 2.4Ghz wireless router and it was just a cheap one I picked up over a year ago. Now I have so many more devices and now that I'll be setting up a home entertainment media center I'm going to need something a lot better. I was thinking about picking up a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA4500 running Cisco's Cloud Connect Firmware but I read a review saying its 2.4Ghz band performance wasn't so hot. So what do you guys think? I'm looking for something in the 150-400 dollar price range. Thanks for the input :).
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a nice play, but what are you using as receivers on your TV/Projector? I've been working on replacing our Tivo's with XBMC/Win7 Media Center and I'm kinda stuck finding a device.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    synseq wrote: »
    Hey guys. I went to best buy today and figured since I had a birthday coming up I'd treat myself to a few things and make my home setup a lot cooler. I'm always running out of hard drive space, being forced to back them up to dvds or other external drives so it's always a hassle to go through each external drive or backed up dvds to get a file or something I need so I picked up a WD 4TB cloud storage network drive. Now I have a centralized data storage device I can access remotely from any of the devices in my house which is pretty cool not having to use all those cables. Tomorrow I am going to configure the media center on this device and set it up so I can stream stuff to my flat panel LED smartTV/HDTV icon_cool.gif and my projector so now I can stream media to my tv in the living room or to my projector in my room all from the convenience of my laptop. Now I'll be able to stream movies or tv shows from netflix or amazon with a few clicks. I setup this projector in our room so me and the wife can watch movies and stuff it's like being in a mini-theatre. It's a setup I'd highly recommend. It's not that expensive and now we can lay in bed, find a movie or whatever, and stream it. Anyway, I didn't mean to go on and on but I want to get a better router and I was hoping for some suggestions. Right now all I have is a linksys 2.4Ghz wireless router and it was just a cheap one I picked up over a year ago. Now I have so many more devices and now that I'll be setting up a home entertainment media center I'm going to need something a lot better. I was thinking about picking up a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA4500 running Cisco's Cloud Connect Firmware but I read a review saying its 2.4Ghz band performance wasn't so hot. So what do you guys think? I'm looking for something in the 150-400 dollar price range. Thanks for the input :).

Holy%20Wall%20of%20Text.jpg

That's a good thing you're having a lot luck with the WD.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice play, but what are you using as receivers on your TV/Projector? I've been working on replacing our Tivo's with XBMC/Win7 Media Center and I'm kinda stuck finding a device.

It's a brand new TV and internet enabled so I can connect it to the wireless network. The WD cloud network storage device has the media center I haven't set it up yet but I don't think I'll need a special reciever I should be able to do everything through the network.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have been using XBMC for over 2 years now and I love it. It will take all of your movies/tv shows/etc. and scrape the information about it automatically which to me is awesome.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I have been using XBMC for over 2 years now and I love it. It will take all of your movies/tv shows/etc. and scrape the information about it automatically which to me is awesome.

Part of why I love my Synology NAS. It can run as a DLNA server, just have to give it the directories, and everything DLNA capable on the network can stream from it, so the Xbox hooked up to the TV also functions as my streaming client, and I've got 8 TB of local storage to boot!
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I run unRAID for my local storage. It runs on the network to XBMC. It also has fault tolerance which is the main reason I chose unRAID.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle