Options

Interview Question

Just a quick question -

How would it appear if someone drove 300+ miles for a job interview? No expenses paid. Desperate or interested?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Not desperate at all. Tons of companies try to get the best candidates by seeking them in other states and areas. I'm actually going through this right now. I have a networking company up in San Jose that got ahold of my resume from a friend of mine and is trying to get me to come up for an in-person interview after I nailed the phone interview. That's normal business. If you're lucky, you can also negotiate a relocation bonus
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Success101 wrote: »
    Just a quick question -

How would it appear if someone drove 300+ miles for a job interview? No expenses paid. Desperate or interested?

Thanks.
    I wouldn't worry about that. I'd only worry about whether you are a good match the particulars of the position. The companies I've worked for have had no qualms about flying someone 300+ miles if they seemed a good fit after checking over the resume and a phone screen or two.
  • Options
    Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not desperate at all, if your going to grow with the new job and it is what you want. Do not be surprised if they ask," So you came a far way" I would just tell them how you feel. If your determined they will know.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got a free trip to California out of an interview. nothing to loose, they just don't have enough talent in their area. They are the one's that are "desperate", you are the talent and they want to talk to you. Feel good about that :)
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    6 years ago I flew 2000 miles for an interview on my own dime. As Moe 0101 said, determination. Ended up getting the position.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    It's quite common for people to relocate for positions at some point in their life. I wouldn't say that it looks good or bad, just be prepared to give a reason for wanting to relocate other than being desperate.