Options

Recommendations for resume writing

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know a lot of folks post resumes here to be picked apart, but has anyone used a resume writing service that they were happy with? Looking for recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As a customer of TE for free resume writing service, I can tell you I'm not satisfied yet. icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, not to hijack your thread, I would like to know some good writing agencies for future references. Can someone post the standard fee as well?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I know a lot of folks post resumes here to be picked apart, but has anyone used a resume writing service that they were happy with? Looking for recommendations.

Hire Matt Krumrie to Write Your Resume - Resume and Career Advice

I thought about using Matt:
    He's local and I like his process:

The first thing most potential resume clients ask is this:

How much does a resume cost?

It's a fair question, because we all know what we are able to spend on a resume. So, I'll get right to the point:

The costs range between $100 to $300 for a resume and cover letter.

How is that figured out? Some people need just a few tweaks or updates ($100), others have absolutely nothing and need to start from scratch ($300). Most resume clients fall in-between that range ($150 - $250). Most clients have, at some point developed a resume. It may be old, you may think it's not any good, but it's something - and that's a start.

What will you get by hiring me to write your resume? You'll get someone who genuinely cares about your career and job search goals. I've been in your position. I've had to search for jobs. I've been laid off. It's no fun. I've had jobs and careers where I wasn't happy and had to search for jobs, send out resumes, go through the interview process. I've been unemployed. I've searched for jobs and didn't find anything. I've been in your position.

But I've also, through the years, and by writing the Star Tribune Ask Matt, for Monster.com, as the editor of an employment newspaper and for two nationally known resume firms, gained contacts and insight into the minds of employers, hiring managers, career coaches and recruiters. Many of those same people who do the hiring are the same people I interview on a regular basis for the career and employment related articles I write. I talk to them. I email them. I send them resumes and ask for tips and advice. I take their advice and apply it in the resumes I write.

How it works:
    If you are interested in hiring me to write your resume, do this:

Send me a copy of your current resume and some info about what you are doing in your current career/job and what you want to do in your next career/job. Do you want to stay in the same industry? Do you want a career change? Let me know.

I'll respond with some feedback/ideas and a price quote. All price quotes include a resume and cover letter. There is no extra charge for a cover letter - it's all a part of the package.

If you're interested, let me know via email or phone call

I will then send you a link to submit payment via PayPal.

Once payment is sent, I send you these items:

1. A resume revision document - this document is a great way to get your information into one document. It also asks probing questions that help you think about the many things you've done in your career and put them on paper.

2. Sample resumes: Looking at finished resume samples can be a good way to see what your resume could look like, but better yet, it also helps you realize the information we can gather to write your resume.

3. Resume writing article: A great article featuring ideas/tips and information on how to gather results-oriented information and achievements to highlight your resume. My job is to help you gather that and I will do exactly that.

Once you send the resume revision document back, we get started. We either talk on the phone or work together via email to answer questions, fine-tune your information, get more information and clarify the information we have. Once that is set, I write the resume and send you a draft. We work back and forth to make adjustments, changes, edits. There is no limit to any of this.

Once the resume is fine-tuned, I write and send you the cover letter. You approve and begin/continue your job search with a new resume ready to work for you!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So what happen a year later when someone decides that their resume needs to be updated? Can they go back to the same guy for free/reduced price or will they be charged the same rate again?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I personally would never suggest anyone use a resume writing service. A resume is an accurate depiction of your personal experiences that is intended to show a potential employer who you are and what you've done. Having someone else write one for you will always come out inaccurate to some degree and often gives false positives in the job hunting process. Everything from your experience needs to match up perfectly with your resume which in turn needs to be expanded upon during interviews.

At max I would pay someone to edit or help format a resume.