Options

Where do I get official help from a pro for my Resume?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So my resume is in pretty poor shape and I'm looking for some paid help for it. I'd rather a hiring manager help me, than a resume professional - They see resume's all day. If a resume can be designed around what he approves. I'd be happy with it :)

Personal - Resume John Doe.pdf
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I reckon you should post it up here and you'll have it ripped to shreds in no time. Constructive criticism and some guys on here are senior engineers who interview candidates and make the hiring decision. I may not be a hiring manager but sure know a thing or two about resumes. So post it up hereand watch us obliterate it...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ what he said.

Having been involved in hiring and having seen hundreds of resumes I will tell you one of the biggest mistakes I see which unfortunately you show on your resume. Anyone can install, maintain and configure. Literally anyone who can follow a manufacturer's deployment guide can do this. What I want to see is how your expertise makes you a better candidate than the other 200 who applied. Show me the projects you worked on and how they made a difference. Show me value. If you claim something you did increased profit, sales or anything else tangible, then you need to show hard numbers. Without it, you won't catch my attention. Again, here is where you differentiate yourself from the rest.

Another issue with your resume is that it is way too vague. The Firefox updates line is confusing. Do you mean users install the browser from zero or just updates? That line can be consolidated with the one aout creating documentation. Also, "created batch scripts...", such as? Again, provide concrete examples. That's how you engage in the conversation that will let you showcase your talent.
  • Options
    How do I show hard numbers? I've done work that contractors backed out of (Never finished the job), because they weren't paid. I don't have the contractor's information so I couldn't even begin to guess how much they were paid for the job. The only example I know is the Security System I finished wiring and setting up ><

What do I try to remember when trying to stand out from the crowd? I work on fixing and troubleshooting tickets, essentially.

Would listing that I have my own lab be good for the resume? I'd like to get into an area that I work with routers and switches, setting up and troubleshooting various issues with them. That's where my heart lies.

Better question: How would you show that you're different than the 200 people applying for the same job?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My 2¢:

What did you do from '05-'09? Looks "funny" to see the degree in '05, but no mention of work until '09.
    Drop the CCENT. Its redundant.
    You have an awkwardly large gap between your name and your summary. Does this area normally contain contact info, or is that really how big the gap is? I LOVE and appreciate properly used white-space, but it looks like too much to me.
    Employment bullet points: I'm not sure how I fee about the periods.
    I like that you mention "customer service" and "irate" attitudes.
    If you view your resume in "print preview", you can see that it looks a tiny bit top-heavy. I'd try to add a couple lines down near the bottom to even it out. I think two would do it.

What type of position are you applying for with this? Is there a specific open position you're looking at, or is it more of a general purpose resume?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am going to be honest. I don't like the format of your resume, but not sure if that's a problem for you. You recently had your resume critiqued here too, but I can see you're not satisfied yet as well as I am still waiting for more senior members to critique mines. I guess most people here are too busy with their lives, and I'm probably better off seeing a professional about it like you said.

Can someone at least suggest a good resume book we can use? So that way it makes our lives easier as not everyone has time to critique all resumes on this forum.
  • Options
    The space has contact information. It's whited out. Likewise the name of the college, and my current company.

05-09 That time was trying to find a job :) taking care of my elder family members too.

I worked, briefly, in the air force. Had to leave due to medical (leg) conditions. Honorable discharge for 4 months isn't a large accomplishment. Otherwise, temporary agency work to try to get money and get out there.

The resume is hopefully for network engineer - or NOC - or something dealing with routers/switches

Hiddenknight821: I'll be happy when people who look at resume's are (generally) happyish with it.

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Organize your bullet points into logical groups. List the important tasks first. Knowing you can wire isn't as important as troubleshooting Cisco switches. More details per bullet point. More details on what you did and why you did it (usually 2 sentences).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'd drop the year off of your degree completion. There's a group of people that say you should put the year, then there's others that say no need. Personally, I take the years off. Without that year stated, there's no "mmm, what has he been doing for the last 4 years?".

As far as I'm concerned it allows you get past that first check and hopefully make it to the interview stage where you sell your skills. I've done some technical hiring (not a lot), and frankly all I care about is your skills/motivation and your personality.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just sent you a PM. I hope you can update us with a formatted resume this time. icon_wink.gif The whitespace irked some of us.