icnd 1

tukkitukki Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
i need a partner to study with me for ccent i schledule the test 14/09 , i am studing with lammle book 7th edition and i have cbt videos

Comments

• EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    do you have a lab of GNS3 set up? once you have the fundamentals down then you need to get your hands on some real Cisco gear to fully grasp Cisco. i just finished ICND1 and ICND2 and there is no way i would have passed either test without real cisco gear to practice on.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Real gear is overkill for ICND1.

The only probably with GNS3 is simulating switches - which you can't do well.

for ICND1, I used Boson's NetSim. It covered switching and routing in enough depth for the ICND1. It was more than enough. Heck of a lot cheaper than real gear.

I would bet against you being able to pass without having CLI experience - any, even simulated/emulated., is better than nothing.

Although, I'm assuming you have 0 experience with routers and switches. Which may not be the case.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    tukki wrote: »
    i need a partner to study with me for ccent i schledule the test 14/09 , i am studing with lammle book 7th edition and i have cbt videos

What is your experience with Cisco IOS?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • tukkitukki Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have 0 experience with cisco ios
  • tukkitukki Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have cisco pacet tracer i`m practicing with some basic router commands
    i'd like to assume that if you're going to do ICND1 your probably going to continue on to ICND2 so i'd start building that home lab to make studying now easier and so you have something to work with on ICND2
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    i'd like to assume that if you're going to do ICND1 your probably going to continue on to ICND2 so i'd start building that home lab to make studying now easier and so you have something to work with on ICND2

I agree, I can imagine getting at the VERY least 2 routers and 1 switch for a home lab. I have looked at a few labs from Boson recently and they would be great for you to follow along and connect the two routers together.

Or use simulators like you are doing now, you will gain a lot of experience through working in the CLI and that will be extremely valuable moving forward. Having a home lab really gives you the confidence of being "hands on" which as we all know in the real world it's needed.

You will start flying through the basics in no time

en
    conf t
    hostname "My Router playa"
    int s0/0
    int f0/1
    int g0/1
    ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 (or whatever subnet)
    shut
    no shut

As basic as those are, we all use them everyday (well maybe no hostname but you get my drift)

also starting the hunt earlier for lab is better because i noticed when i was hunting ebay for lab equipment is that sellers may or may not have what your looking for, for a price you want to pay for it, when you want to buy it. it took me 2 or 3 weeks to find a NM-e1 expansion card for my cisco 2620xm router that wasn't $100 so keep that in mind. right now i'm hunting for good deals on 2800 series routers so i can get ready for CCNA security or Voice and there hasn't been much i lost a couple because of 3g lag on my iphone but even if i would have won them the deal wasn't that great.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, I can imagine getting at the VERY least 2 routers and 1 switch for a home lab. I have looked at a few labs from Boson recently and they would be great for you to follow along and connect the two routers together.

Or use simulators like you are doing now, you will gain a lot of experience through working in the CLI and that will be extremely valuable moving forward. Having a home lab really gives you the confidence of being "hands on" which as we all know in the real world it's needed.

You will start flying through the basics in no time

en
    conf t
    hostname "My Router playa"
    int s0/0
    int f0/1
    int g0/1
    ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 (or whatever subnet)
    shut
    no shut

As basic as those are, we all use them everyday (well maybe no hostname but you get my drift)

Just remember you need to do a "No Shut" on each interface >.>
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    cisco packet tracer will be totally enough instead of GNS3
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tukki wrote: »

hmm, yes, a mid September night's dream as far as booking the exam for a Sept 14 smashing sounds good to me too.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Just remember you need to do a "No Shut" on each interface >.>

I was just showing some basic commands but to answer you directly

int range f0/1 - 48
    no shut
    int range g0/1 - 24
    no shut

BOOM! ha