How to Deal with this type...

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
My fellow TE members, hello -

This came my mind the other day, if you're working with a co-worker who may be unorganized and/or not up to speed with a few things, how can you handle it with patient and not being harsh, sneering and treating him/her with shadiness? Thanks

Comments

• synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Simple. You handle it by not being harsh, sneering and treating him/her with shadiness. Lol in all seriousness though just try to be understanding and patience is king. I don't know what exactly the problem is but maybe you can help them with what they are not up to speed on there may come a time when there is something you aren't up to speed on and will wish you had a co-worker willing to help you.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Ask them if there's anything you can do to help. If they refuse help, explain that they're causing issues and you want to try and help so that everyone benefits.

If they cop an attitude or remain obstinate, go have a talk with the boss about it, if you're in the type of environment. If not, let them screw up a few times, and then make the offer again.

If they continue to remain stubborn and obstinate, then it's time to get nasty. Use the carrot before the stick, but once the carrot goes past it's expiration date... well, spare the rod, spoil the child.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    synseq wrote: »
    Simple. You handle it by not being harsh, sneering and treating him/her with shadiness. Lol in all seriousness though just try to be understanding and patience is king. I don't know what exactly the problem is but maybe you can help them with what they are not up to speed on there may come a time when there is something you aren't up to speed on and will wish you had a co-worker willing to help you.

^^ And unless you're a Team Lead or Manager I would just keep it to yourself unless it is affecting your job performance/duties. In which case, don't be harsh with them but offer help or guidance with area's they're lacking.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Part of being a leader, at least in my experience, is finding those employees who are having trouble and do what you can to help them out. Your team is only as strong as its weakest link.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    effekted wrote: »
    ^^ And unless you're a Team Lead or Manager I would just keep it to yourself unless it is affecting your job performance/duties.
    +1. You're not even a CCENT yet. As Elvis says, "Clean up your own backyard" first. :p
    how can you handle it with patient and not being harsh, sneering and treating him/her with shadiness?
    Your job is to do what your manager/boss paid you for. Focus on that. Ignore the company gossip about some random guy's level of performance unless that is what you're currently paid for. Avoid distractions. Focus on meeting and exceeding your manager's expectations.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Your job is to do what your manager/boss paid you for. Focus on that. Ignore the company gossip about some random guy's level of performance unless that is what you're currently paid for. Avoid distractions. Focus on meeting and exceeding your manager's expectations.

I don't quite agree with that. It's a fine line to walk. On the one hand, you don't want to overstep your bounds and appear to be exercising authority you don't actually possess. On the other hand, I don't think it's a good idea to develop a tolerance for the iniquities of your co-workers.

When I have a problem with someone, I talk to them about it. In private, without any angry overtones, no threats, no ultimatums. Sometimes all someone needs to straighten up is to be called on their bullshit.

However, if someone becomes defensive and confrontational, you're wasting your time, and it's better to disengage, and that's when you go make your issues official by taking them up with management.

If that doesn't work, then one of two things is going on - management doesn't really care or you're wrong. If it turns out to be the former, seek other employment.
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I

When I have a problem with someone, I talk to them about it. In private, without any angry overtones, no threats, no ultimatums. Sometimes all someone needs to straighten up is to be called on their bullshit.

However, if someone becomes defensive and confrontational, you're wasting your time, and it's better to disengage, and that's when you go make your issues official by taking them up with management.

I completely agree with this.

Having people report to you gives you a better understanding of this. I think in general there are two types of employees, not saying one is better than the other, just saying they are different. Some people will walk in, do the job as best at they can, and go home. Other will come in and they have the will and ability to become leaders, help out those who they can help, and try to be a positive influence on the team. A large team probably needs both types of employees.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say your job is to insure the company you work for succeeds. So I don't believe my job stops where my job description stops. If I had thought that I would still be a help desk engineer answering phones and carrying Printers around site.

A fellow worker who is finding it tough will get my full support, I don't take to fools kindly and you will find I get short and very to the point if I have to start telling people exactly how to do things in little baby steps. However any one who is willing to listen / Learn and can admit to may be struggling a little. I am more than happy to help out.

I simple think how I would like others to act towards me if I was the one with the issues and then deal with them in the same way. But I does expect those I help to remember that I am giving up my time to help them, and while I am happy to do so as long as I see them working and trying. People who take advantage or come to expect it will soon find them selves back on there own.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.