Options

Am I too old??

$tr8_IT$tr8_IT Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all. I want to apologize in advanced for the length of the post, but would appreciate total honesty. (Brutal if necessary) I'm a 37 year old bartender with a wife and daughter. I have no degree, though I have a few years of college. No previous professional IT experience, but have worked on computers for family and friends for about 15 years. Low level stuff like setting up home networks, installing and upgrading operating systems and installing software. I have no certificates, though I am self studying for my A+. After I get the A+, I plan on enrolling in WGU. (They are requiring me to get cert. before they will let me in) I have no problem with starting at the bottom in an IT related role and understand the sacrifice. I'm tired of bartending and need a change. It's not a job for a man with a family. My question is will anyone give me a chance given my age and background. All of you in a position to hire, would you ever consider hiring someone in my position. (I mean at least after I get A+) Would just like assurance I'm not wasting my time. Thanks in advanced to all who respond.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Honestly, it's not a question anyone can answer. It's up to the prospective employer. From my perspective, IT wages aren't great these days unless you are in the expert category and you would likely make just as much if not more bartending than you would starting out in IT and it is increasingly difficult to get ahead in IT when you are shackled to a family because the best opportunities are all over the place and require a lot of time and effort to get into.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hello $tr8_IT,

Welcome to TE. You definitely wouldn't be wasting your time since IT is one of the fastest growing industries and has the lowest unemployment rate. The only issue that employers seem to have these days are finding people with the skills needed to fill those jobs. Depending on the area you live in, you might have more or less job opportunities so you might have to be careful of that. The worst case scenario is that you would have to move to a metro where the jobs are at so that might be something to consider. Also for your first 1-2 years of IT work, you might not get paid much but depending on the job, you should get insurance benefits, some semblance of a 401K plan, and (hopefully) some kind of certification/tuition reimbursement. After you get past that entry-level hump, things get a LOT better!

Many established forum members started later in life and were able to have very successful and profitable careers. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I started out in IT about 5 years ago and am a WGU grad so I'd be happy to offer any information or answer any questions you may have.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE.

You want it? I'd say go with it... cautiously.

There's definitely nothing wrong with a career change, and you're right about being a family man. That's where I'll include the point. Prepare for sacrificing. Although, you should be able to balance work and life. It should also give you more points too, being able to work like that.

My first step took me 13 hours away from where I lived. That's a long trip. Nice bit of scenery though. Just be open to the possibility that you may need to move.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    I appreciate all the responses. I feel encouraged. Moving is not an issue.We live in the Atlanta area, but my wife isn't from Georgia and actually wants to move to another state. My daughter's only 2 years old so school isn't an issue just yet.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Assuming you don't retire early, figure on needing to work the next 20-30years. Knowing that you will be working for that length of time, you are nowhere near "too old".
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technically, age and background discrimination is a violation of equal opportunity. Your age shouldn't be an issue. However, having a family does make things somewhat difficult. As mentioned by WafflesAndRootbeer, finding a decent IT job may require relocation. Also, IT is a very broad field. You will need to decide on your focus (i.e., networking, security, databases, telecommunications, etc).

If you're a glutton for punishment (like me :)), then a career within the software development life cycle (SDLC) may be your calling. My employer, as an example, is always looking for talent within this domain.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    If moving isn't an issue, then figure out what part of IT interests you the most. There's networking, security, virtualization, desktop support, system administration, hybrid roles, project management, software development, etc. After you figure that out, there is usually a certification path you can follow to acquire the entry level core knowledge to get your first specialized job in the IT field. That doesn't mean that you can't find an entry level IT job in the meantime just to get some experience under your belt. You might end up having to be a password reset monkey at first but that's fine. You're acquiring something to put on your resume while you work your way through certifications. As far as locations for jobs, someone posted this in another thread: Five states to watch in growing tech employment | TechRepublic and there's always the typical IT hotspots: California, Virginia, Texas, New York and Florida. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got my first job in IT in 2010 when I was 37. You have to be willing to work hard to make it happen.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards networking for the hand on aspect. I like working with my hands (probably why I've been bartending for almost 10 years). I know once I get my first IT job, probably in a support role, my feelings could change from exposure to other areas of IT.
  • Options
    I understand the desire to have a better career. Bartending doesn't really usually offer comprehensive benefits or retirement plans. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you'll be just fine. Certification will get you the quickest bang for your buck, and it looks like WGU has you on that path already. Definitely a good move for you.

Good luck!
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Do you practice visualization?

It could be a great tool to keep you on track. Especially for those days when you don't know whether to continue. So you spend more energy on making your dreams a reality quicker.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    As long as you show that you can still learn quick and pick up new skills then yes. Although companies can't legally age discriminate it does still play a factor into the hiring process at most companies at a subconscious level. I've been on the opposite side(where they assume someone young won't be mature enough or doesn't have enough experience), but as long as you're aware that you may have to go out of your way to show them you can do the job then you'll be fine.

Just as I try to look older in interviews, you can try to look younger for them. Clean shaven, well kept hair, ect ect.. They can't legally ask for your age so if you're worried give this a shot.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You aren't too old. I made a career change from healthcare into IT, when I was 32. I think age is an issue when people allow it to be so. With the economy in the toilet, a lot of people are making career changes.

Being a bartender has likely gotten you good people skills and that is important in IT. And all the side work will benefit you, as well.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    No one can predict what will happen. However, I am going to throw out a few examples of what could happen.

1. You get a couple of certifications and try to make a go of IT
    -You work low wage positions at small companies and/or contract positions and live in poverty
    -You have few or no benefits and make less than bartending.
    -You expect to do better once you have experience but it only leads to other low wage positions
    -You never retire and become a door greeter at Walmart who cannot afford his medicines

2. You get a degree and/or some better certifications but settle for a medium sized company
    -You make just enough to survive, but then have to pay some of your survival money for student loans
    -You're not considered to be poor on paper but functionally you're poor.
    -Your benefits are a joke but you can at least say you have them
    -Your working conditions will probably not be very good

3. You get your degree and leverage contacts to get hired on at a large company and/or land a very nice federal position
    -You get nice benefits, a salary you can live on, and are able to retire.

4. You start your own business
    -Pay could be amazing or terrible, will require careful planning to make sure you can take time off, formal education will not matter as much as either functional education or the ability to use business strategy.

Personally, I would go for 3 or 4. I am not saying there are only 4 possible options, but I am just throwing out some examples of how having a plan can help you avoid wasting years of your life in an IT pitfall waiting for things to get better. Yes some markets are better than others, but you must also be realistic about the costs of living there. A family cannot live comfortably in NYC on 50k a year. If you ever moved here on that salary you'd soon find your homeless. Realistically, you'll need close to 100k to have any kind of life at all and even more will be needed if you want to build up savings. That's not living fancy either, that's no maid, you live in a place that is just OK, you take poor man's vacations, and you don't have many toys. Families making around the 100k mark are really struggling the most because they don't quality for any financial assistance but they don't make enough to get by either. All I can say is you really need to figure out a way to make as much as possible and dabbling in IT with no plan is unlikely to do much for you.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Techdudehere, don't you think #1 and 2 are a little.. pessimistic? -Those are things that everyone trying to get into IT faces and most of the time they end up doing quite well. In both situations it could end with advancing and making 100k+ salary instead.

You can't really throw up a few examples that you made up, pick the best one and say go for it. These hold absolutely no basis in reality.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Im going to give you an honest answer

If you are thinking of getting one cert a year, maybe get a work here and there, progress little by little...
    Then Yes I think you are too old.

If you are considering nailing that degree in record time, in your off time from work your going to stick your face inside books and lab until your fingers hurt, I say, you will probably make it big time.
    I think this is more or less true for anyone, depending of how much you invest in your studies, career development, that you will get out.
    You will have to struggle, do easy annoying jobs, bottom jobs like anyone else. But if your up for it and in the side you keep polishing yourself, then you are not old at all.

But you really need to put more effort than younger professionals. Because at 21-25 no one expects much of you (varies from case to case).
    I dont expect a 20 yr old with A+ to know how to do much at all.
    But you have age, life experience and people will have some expectations.

This is how I think at least.
    meh
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    . Families making around the 100k mark are really struggling the most because they don't quality for any financial assistance but they don't make enough to get by either.

Sorry, but I gotta pick on you with this. I don't agree with this unless they're keeping up with the Joneses, of course.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the input, I definitely plan on putting my nose to the grindstone. I know I'm in competition with many other qualified individuals, regardless of age. I definitely plan on getting more than one cert. a year. Thinking of studying for CCNA after I get the A+. I'm highly motivated by the desire to get out of the job I'm in. Don't get me wrong, it's better than nothing, but it's not challenging and the hours are long. I'm not afraid of long hours or hard work, but the only skill I'm perfecting is how to make a great shot (not as fun as it sounds).
  • Options
    Sorry, but I gotta pick on you with this. I don't agree with this unless they're keeping up with the Joneses, of course.

I would hope if someone's making 100k they can keep things going. Hiddenknight821 is correct, A lot of people spend a lot more when they get money. For example where most of the nice houses tend to belong to doctors, laywers. You know the areas. You might be living next to one. In pennsylvania it was ontop of the mountain. Here it's off the town on a small highway, charleston.. well.. charleston :P

Those homes, cars, vacations. All of that eats away at your money. If you have childern, more costs.

Another thing, $tr8_IT, Don't let yourself forget your goals. It'll be rough. It'll be long. It'll test your endurance. Stick with it. Like anything good, it has to be earned to be appreciated. Not to mention you have wisdom us not-so young bucks have. Not to you won't go grey before.

Oh, I hope you enjoy reading. Expect to have your nose in a book. If you don't, you'll learn. I did :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    1. You get a couple of certifications and try to make a go of IT
    -You work low wage positions at small companies and/or contract positions and live in poverty
    -You have few or no benefits and make less than bartending.
    -You expect to do better once you have experience but it only leads to other low wage positions
    -You never retire and become a door greeter at Walmart who cannot afford his medicines

2. You get a degree and/or some better certifications but settle for a medium sized company
    -You make just enough to survive, but then have to pay some of your survival money for student loans
    -You're not considered to be poor on paper but functionally you're poor.
    -Your benefits are a joke but you can at least say you have them
    -Your working conditions will probably not be very good

If someone goes through the motions and gets the right amount of education/experience, this will never happen to them. Judging from your previous posts on this forum, it doesn't sound like you've had an overall positive experience in IT and that seems to have affected your view on anyone breaking into the field. Even if the IT market was completely barren where the OP lives, he has said that he is open to moving. With a CCNA and zero experience, I bet you he could take off to NC or Austin and get plenty of offers for IT positions. I've been in IT for 5 years now and according to your list, I would be stuck at 1 or 2. Here I am. I have a degree from an online school, a bunch of low to mid level certifications and one higher-level irrelevant certification. Yet I'm starting a 6-figure network engineer job in a week and a half and literally having to turn job offers away. For those willing to work for it, results will come.
    3. You get your degree and leverage contacts to get hired on at a large company and/or land a very nice federal position
    -You get nice benefits, a salary you can live on, and are able to retire.

Do you really think that you absolutely need contacts or a degree to get hired at a large company or federal position?
    4. You start your own business
    -Pay could be amazing or terrible, will require careful planning to make sure you can take time off, formal education will not matter as much as either functional education or the ability to use business strategy.

While I agree that there is a large amount of money to be made in consulting, you're not worth a penny as a consultant unless you have professional experience. Therefore the OP would have to work in mid- to senior-level positions prior to starting his own consulting company. Unless you're implying he starts a business doing computer repair or end-user support which might pay the bills but it's not something to retire with.
    Personally, I would go for 3 or 4. I am not saying there are only 4 possible options, but I am just throwing out some examples of how having a plan can help you avoid wasting years of your life in an IT pitfall waiting for things to get better. Yes some markets are better than others, but you must also be realistic about the costs of living there. A family cannot live comfortably in NYC on 50k a year. If you ever moved here on that salary you'd soon find your homeless. Realistically, you'll need close to 100k to have any kind of life at all and even more will be needed if you want to build up savings. That's not living fancy either, that's no maid, you live in a place that is just OK, you take poor man's vacations, and you don't have many toys. Families making around the 100k mark are really struggling the most because they don't quality for any financial assistance but they don't make enough to get by either. All I can say is you really need to figure out a way to make as much as possible and dabbling in IT with no plan is unlikely to do much for you

If you can't live off of 100K a year, you have problems. I agree that 100K is relative to where you live though.

$100K in California with a working wife and one kid will get you a decent sized condo in a middle class area (Anaheim, Whittier, etc) or a house in an area you have to commute from (Riverside, Corona, etc), lower-to-mid grade private school ($6-10K/year or $10-15K financed), an economic car (20K or less financed), the ability to put a small amount into college savings for the kid a month ($200-300) and a modest life.

$100K in NYC will get you a cramped to mid sized apartment depending on the area or decent living arrangements in the suburbs if you're willing to take the hit commuting, public school, a decent used car if you're living in the burbs, money to save for college, and, again, a modest life. I know people living comfortably in NYC off $75K a year. It's all about living in your means.

$100K in Portland will get you financed for a 3000 square foot house, private school for the kiddo, an economic car for your wife and you, more savings monthly for college and extra money to spend or save

My point is this: It's all about where you live and especially how you live.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    $tr8_IT wrote: »
    I appreciate all the input, I definitely plan on putting my nose to the grindstone. I know I'm in competition with many other qualified individuals, regardless of age. I definitely plan on getting more than one cert. a year. Thinking of studying for CCNA after I get the A+. I'm highly motivated by the desire to get out of the job I'm in. Don't get me wrong, it's better than nothing, but it's not challenging and the hours are long. I'm not afraid of long hours or hard work, but the only skill I'm perfecting is how to make a great shot (not as fun as it sounds).

OP, if this is something you enjoy and you want to succeed doing it, then don't let anyone talk you out of it or discourage you. Most of the people on this forum are going to be encouraging. Don't let the people who aren't encouraging bring you down. Look, I've been in the IT field for 5 years and I've been making 6-figure income for about a year now. If it took you as long to get to where I'm at, you'd still only be 42 years old. 40 is the new 30. You'd still have plenty of time to save up money for college for the kiddo, retirement for yourself, and enjoy your life. Heck... you might even get there before me because you're inclined to bypass some of the entry-level CompTIA certifications and go for the CCNA. If you're good at it, you can easily do it faster than me. I fumbled and tried to figure out what I wanted for way too long. Anyways, stay positive
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    @Irish: So what you're telling me, I need to drop everything, quit my job, and move to Austin?

• Options
    DONQUIXOTE007DONQUIXOTE007 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about your age, but focus on your Dreams and Dream Big.
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    @Irish: So what you're telling me, I need to drop everything, quit my job, and move to Austin?

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. ;)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    You're mean. You're appealing to the "Free Spirit" within me. However, my realistic side says "Woa. Slow down, buckaroo. What the ---- are you thinking?"

• Options
    Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a 37 year old bartender with a wife and daughter. I have no degree, though I have a few years of college. No previous professional IT experience, but have worked on computers for family and friends for about 15 years. Low level stuff like setting up home networks, installing and upgrading operating systems and installing software. I have no certificates, though I am self studying for my A+.

This sounds like me 5 years ago. I was in the restaurant business, some college, worked on PC's on the side. I went back to college at 38..(Cisco Academy)...had a little luck getting a desktop support job through a friend for a year or so, and now I am the lone Network Engineer for a local University at 43.

Age has very little to do with it. I decided 5 years ago, that a few years of work, family and studying 6-7 days a week was worth it to be able to work a job I enjoyed for the next 20+ years.

Set some realistic goals, plan your path and come back to this site often for your technical and professional questions or motivational needs.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP,

You can do it man. Just keep your nose to the grindstone and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I am 44 and have been bouncing from crap help desk to desktop support job for over 15 years now.
    I have decided I am tired of this lifestyle and I am also going back to get my degree in Network Administration from WGU. I AM going to change my life, and I think anyone who makes the commitment and can stick with it can do the same.
    Feel free to PM me just to BS or anything else.

Good luck and follow your dreams,
    Gene
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am nearly 10 years older than you and just started on my certification path - haven't even landed my first IT job yet - yet, I am positive about my chances in the field.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Normally I hate threads like this, since they're normally "Hey! I'm 23. Am I too old?". It's good to see a few others my age that are in the same boat (turning 41 this year, with about 1.5 years experience)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno