Options

3550 vs. 3560 Lab

BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
Just poking around, I don't wish to get into this twisting vortex yet, but I'm curious any reason why you guys use a 3560 switch instead of a 3550 switch for your CCIE lab?

I have 4 3550 leftover from my CCNP studies, and 2 3750.

Comments

• Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Check out this handy comparison link from INE:

Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

Those 3750s that you have are just like 3560s except that they also do stacking. A lot of people just get rack time to practice the few odd commands that you have to know off of the 3560, and do most of their labbing on their own 3550s.

Regards,
    Fin
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I don't understand the reason behind rack, I would assume that if you're studying for CCIE that you're already in the network field and you already have cheddar to purchase your own lab, I mean unless you need to fiddle around newer technology like Nexus stuff.

Thanks for the link, so I can sell my 3550 if there's a big gap.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I have 2 x 3550 and 1 x 3560. The 3560 is PoE for future Voice labs. If you plan on studying voice then get a 3560 PoE.
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I don't understand the reason behind rack,

Well, some people might not have the space or cash required to build a rack, or they might live in such a country where shipping and/or customs would kill their bank. In these cases rack rental would come out as a cheaper, more cost-effective approach.

But yeah, even 4 x 3550 and GNS3 wouldn't be too expensive these days, to be honest.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Check out this handy comparison link from INE:

Catalyst 3560 and 3550 Comparison | INE

Those 3750s that you have are just like 3560s except that they also do stacking. A lot of people just get rack time to practice the few odd commands that you have to know off of the 3560, and do most of their labbing on their own 3550s.

Regards,
    Fin

Great link and I would also recommend that anyone considering 3550 vs 3560/3750 pay close attention to the commands that INE has highlighted. Rack time is a great and comparatively cost effective way of mastering this content!

Just my 0.02 but fiddling around with NX-OS (which I spend a LOT of time in) doesn't always provide value towards the CCIE R&S studies, and in some cases can hinder them. I would make sure to master the IOS on the lab blueprint for both ISR and Catalyst platforms.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I imagine the big thing is that the CCIE lab uses 3560s and QoS on the 3550 vs the 3560 is different. 3550 also doesn't support private-vlans. My lab is 4x 3560s. They were spare 100mb switches that we had in storage.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    When I was working this track the 3560's were still pretty expensive. I used 3550's and was planning on using rack rentals for the 3560 specific features
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    shodown wrote: »
    When I was working this track the 3560's were still pretty expensive. I used 3550's and was planning on using rack rentals for the 3560 specific features

They've come down in price alot. I picked up a pair for under $400 each back in February, and my coworkers looking are occasionally finding them on ebay for under $200.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I sold all my equipment thinking I'd never need it again...

I had a few 2500's (ancient) 2950's (useful) 3550's (probably would have gotten me through a CCIE)

Now I just see this as an opportunity to go buy some 3560 PoE's (I could think about Voice then too)
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    They've come down in price alot. I picked up a pair for under $400 each back in February, and my coworkers looking are occasionally finding them on ebay for under $200.

Yeah I got a 3560 8 port for my IE Voice lab pretty cheap
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related