Options

begun my entry networking job quest. help!

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all!

I have finished my one year in technology supporting ATMs (where you get cash) for a bank, and have finished my CCNA.

Here's my career story

I want to go fully into a networking career so I leverage my cert and one year expereince. Unfortunately, it won't be possible to land one here in my current company so I have to get out there (politics + no opening).

I'm looking at the jobpostings using search string "cisco junior" "noc" "network junior" and had a surprising amount of hits.

Most of these hits were for senior positions (no surprise) but few in between were for junior.

Does junior engineer positions also means I need to have experience? I don't have a BS in IT, but I have in Economics (does this hurt me?)

Also, I found there are more positions for Administrator/helpdesk. Although, I do limited helpdesk (i troubleshoot a very specific device), would it be beneficial to target these as well?

I really want to work with networking and not be in the administrator side of things.

Lastly, how do I get an entry level networking job????? I don't claim to have much networking experience, but I have some (troubleshoot router/switch wiring, ping tests, ip-add/port verifications) for the ATMs in remote locations and a CCNA -- would this be enough?

I appreciate any tips on this job search quest. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    mguy wrote: »
    Does junior engineer positions also means I need to have experience?

It depends on the job. They may say they want networking experience but be surprisingly flexible once you apply. Usually a junior engineer job implies that they are looking for someone with entry-level knowledge so I would encourage you to apply regardless of whether they specify experience. As long as your cover letter and resume are strong, you'll eventually land something
    I don't have a BS in IT, but I have in Economics (does this hurt me?

Having a degree is a checked box for many employers, it shows that you completed something, and, at very least, got past the english-math GE requirements. I can't say that every employer will look past your major but you shouldn't let it discourage you. Many people in the IT field make it without degrees so the fact that you DO have a degree can only help you.
    Also, I found there are more positions for Administrator/helpdesk. Although, I do limited helpdesk (i troubleshoot a very specific device), would it be beneficial to target these as well?

If you would enjoy it, sure. Knock yourself out. You might find that you enjoy it more than networking or you might find that it bores you to tears. Either way, having experienced the position might expose you to technologies that you'll want to work with again
    Lastly, how do I get an entry level networking job?????

Craft a superb resume and cover letter that emphasizes your passion for networking, apply everywhere, and be open to the idea of contract gigs. You might not be able to land the dream networking job at first depending on where you live but you might be able to get yourself a 12 month contract job as a Jr. network engineer or NOC technician. This would give you additional networking experience so you can make a better move the next time.

Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Oh and one important thing: Be VERY honest about your skills and knowledge in your resume and during the interview. If they ask you if you've ever worked with BGP or something else and you haven't, just tell them and follow that up with something like "But of course, I would love to learn more about it. Working with BGP/WAN Solutions/WhateverTheyAsked is the next step on my education and if I started here, I would love to get as much exposure to it that you would feel comfortable giving me." Having a learning curve isn't a bad thing if you show that you're eager to learn
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Im somewhat in the same boat, I do have around 2 yrs experience in a couple of areas
    but Its becoming hard to find a good networking role that doesnt require you to have a lot of experience medium--->high level subjects
    meh
  • Options
    I've been looking at more postings with keyword "network engineer" and I get the impression that my experience is not up to par (I work at helpdesk exposed to the technologies but not directly with them).

Should I target NOC type work instead? Will this be a more logical step?

Helpdesk>>NOC>>JR engineer
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    what you guys are seeing makes sense. There are too many people with low to medium level experience and still a shortage of true experts in almost every aspect of IT. What that means is you need to shorten your learning curve to get to the top of the list! Do whatever it takes to stay employed and keep building your skills. Don't let your education sag and make sure you study stuff above your current level of understanding. When you are hired on, if permissible, take the initiative to get assigned additional tasks that are above your level. You'll either stand a good chance of getting promoted or checking off another skill on the resume if you do that.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I got a call back from a start-up for a RAN technician.

Radio Access Network software defined Radio start-up.

I basically submitted my resume to see if they would bite and they did. I didn't specify that I have much wireless experience except one line in the resume where we had to migrate the ATM devices off wireless to DSL because of interference issues.

They have set-up an interview for an hour this coming week. I've been watching videos trying to a handle of what the job might entail. Any heads-up to what this interview might entail?

Do you guys suggest being completely honest that I do not know anything about this stuff (but eager to learn) or should I do something different?

Advice needed.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    what you guys are seeing makes sense. There are too many people with low to medium level experience and still a shortage of true experts in almost every aspect of IT. What that means is you need to shorten your learning curve to get to the top of the list! Do whatever it takes to stay employed and keep building your skills. Don't let your education sag and make sure you study stuff above your current level of understanding. When you are hired on, if permissible, take the initiative to get assigned additional tasks that are above your level. You'll either stand a good chance of getting promoted or checking off another skill on the resume if you do that.

There are a lot of us in that low to medium level, and it seems every employer wants someone that is a true expert. The problem is a to become a true expert you need experience, and if employers aren't willing to train and give experience it makes it difficult for us in the low to medium level to move up to true experts.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I've been trying to find a 'low-mid level' network job for about 6 months now and am seeing the same thing.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A 'junior network engineer' is usually required to have somewhat extensive network support experience. If you are entry level what you need to be looking for are non-engineering level jobs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    We are talking entry level networking jobs, not entry level IT jobs. Many of us have worked in IT for 3-5+ years, but are finding it hard to make the jump help desk, NOC, Desktop support, etc to a junior network admin/engineer because we have no experience in the job and employers want experience.
  • Options
    I understand that, but do you have the experience supporting those networks? Helpdesk isn't exactly network support. If you don't have experience troubleshooting and working the day to day operations of a network why would someone let you engineer one?
  • Options
    So how do you get started in entry level networking jobs if they all require previous experience? It feels a lot like a catch 22 and many of us find ourselves here and can't get out.
  • Options
    You need to find a network support job first. Personally I got my start in the military, then some customer support at an ISP then moved into engineering roles from there. Most of the people I have worked with came from an IT background before moving into network support/NOC roles and then onto engineering.

Some larger companies have programs for graduates to come into engineering departments as well.

The process can take years but it seems like a lot of people are wanting to get on the fast track by passing the CCNA or CCNP. It just doesn't work that way in the real world unfortunately. Sure there are the exceptions where people know someone or have above average aptitude but these are the exception and not the rule.
  • Options
    I have worked a network support job, and I'm currently in a network support role. The problem is myself and many others are looking to move beyond front line support, but all the jobs want previous experience at that level.
  • Options
    You need to find a position that is willing to accept people without experience. I know it seems difficult, but trust me, everyone that has made it to the level you are trying to get to has been in your shoes and made it. Its not impossible. You just need to show an employer that you have what it takes.
  • Options
    You need to find a position that is willing to accept people without experience.

This is the problem. I have been looking for 6 months now, and not 1 employer has been willing to hire someone without experience. There just seem to be too many people on the job market who do have the experience. This means employers don't have to take a chance on us new guys.
  • Options
    That's not true. Like I said, been there, done that. It seems daunting but you just need to find that one manager.
  • Options
    That's not true. Like I said, been there, done that. It seems daunting but you just need to find that one manager.

I'm not saying it is true everywhere. I'm just saying it is true where I am now. My current employer is even hiring outside people with experience rather than promote from within. At this point I have exhausted all my resources in this area and not found that manager. Now, I am preparing to move to an area with more opportunity and hopefully a manager that will hire someone without experience.
  • Options
    If there are no jobs then yeah you need to move obviously, but first I'd take a look at your resume and how you are presenting yourself. Take a step back and ask yourself 'would I hire this person to do something they have never done before?' Does your resume show that you are a quick learner that can drive results for a company or is it just some bullets that describe your job duties and not much else?
  • Options
    If there are no jobs then yeah you need to move obviously, but first I'd take a look at your resume and how you are presenting yourself. Take a step back and ask yourself 'would I hire this person to do something they have never done before?' Does your resume show that you are a quick learner that can drive results for a company or is it just some bullets that describe your job duties and not much else?

I had 2 recruiters at Adecco Engineering and Technical review my resume. They both said it was very good, but they also said that employers in this market just aren't hiring people for networking jobs if they do not already have experience. They tried to place me with 3 different companies (HP being one of them) and all 3 said I don't have enough experience doing the job and didn't even give me an interview. I have been applying on my own and I get the same results. No experience = no thanks. The one recruiter has been hiring people for networking jobs for over 10 years and she says people with my experience and education were being hired like crazy just 5 years ago, but with the current economy they can't find jobs for people like me.
  • Options
    Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

And not to say your recruiter is lying, but I never take anything they say seriously.
  • Options
    Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

And not to say your recruiter is lying, but I never take anything they say seriously.

Boise Idaho. I have had more than just those 2 recruiters look at my resume. I have had it reviewed by a few different people including a couple recruiters out of state.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Maybe you should post your resume here and see what people have to say about it. Recruiters aren't really going to give you a good review of your resume. They don't generally want to do that much work for someone that isn't making money for them. I've had various recruiters say my resume was good but when I posted it here it wasn't as good as I was told.

Take everything a recruiter says with a grain of salt.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with the Boise area so no advice to give there. I just want to push the fact that its not impossible and a good resume and drive go a long way in getting that first chance regardless of the economy.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What Networker says is true.

If you got the drive to keep looking, and putting resumes in, you'll find something, sometime.

Treat each interview as your only interview.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Update.

So far I've had a recruiter give me call to get my details for submission for a Network service operator for a legal firm.

There's also a support position in a Radio Access Network start-up that i've done a phone interview with (they sounded like I know more than them?).

I'm searching and organizing for job postings in excel with heading "the good" and "the bad", most of them have "pie in the sky" listed under "the bad" (ei. network engineer).

I'm thinking at this point that NOC positions especially at third shift is where entry level wannabes get to play the most with the system. I'm targeting this, but I'm not so keen giving up my social life and having to buy a car if the trade-off that I want isn't there (maximum exposure to cisco products).
  • Options
    oddly, the networking team asked me to be training with them. It's still too far-fetched to say they are going to hire me, but I could use all the experience I can get!