Options

WGU How does WGU deal with older A+ and N+?

Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
My A+ and N+ are from 2000/2001. Will WGU really make me retake them?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    last i recall they said it must be wit in the last 5 years
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes you will need to re take them
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Right now they are lifetime certs. Will retaking them effect that?
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    From my understanding yes and no. It will upgrade your A+ certification and you will have to adhere to the new requirements. Meaning you it will only be good for 3 years before you have to do something to renew your certification. If you don't renew your certification then your A+ reverts back to what your old lifetime A+. So you don't really have to re-certify to keep the old one you have but you will have to if you want to keep the new one.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They will only accept the 2009 objectives so you will need to re certify. They are no longer lifetime.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can either retake the N+ and have the A+ updated through the CE version or take S+ and update both. I'd do the S+ since that will also give you both the S+ and Security MTA requirements finishing upto 5 classes from 1 exam.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My A+ and Net+ were over 5 years old, but I took Sec+ right before I started WGU and it updated both my A+ and Net+ to current.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    snapdad wrote: »
    My A+ and Net+ were over 5 years old, but I took Sec+ right before I started WGU and it updated both my A+ and Net+ to current.

Interesting. I wonder since it was "updated" from Comptia's point of view if that would make it current for WGU.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm.. gets me wondering is the A+ from 09 stays active for life. I passed mines in 10/09 don't really remember... In the situation that it has expired does the A+ classes get waived by an A.A.S in IT at WGU.
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Drovor wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder since it was "updated" from Comptia's point of view if that would make it current for WGU.

Yes, it does. I actually found out about it from my enrollment counselor at WGU.
  • Options
    Yes, it does. I actually found out about it from my enrollment counselor at WGU.

Very cool. Its not that retaking it would be any difficulty but it would seem like going backwards. I think I might knock out Security+ and Project+ before I enroll.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    eansdad wrote: »
    You can either retake the N+ and have the A+ updated through the CE version or take S+ and update both. I'd do the S+ since that will also give you both the S+ and Security MTA requirements finishing upto 5 classes from 1 exam.

If I read that correctly, that makes no sense to me. Why would having an existing Sec+ cert make you exempt from having to take the Security MTA exam? As a current student, I have to take Sec+ and the Security MTA exams. Don't follow why if you have the one coming in it takes care of both classes.

Maybe I'm not following exactly what you are saying.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Spoke to a WGU counselor about 2 weeks ago and they said I have to CE credit for the A+ and N+ I passed around the same time as you. He says they want us to be up to date on the knowledge that is required for today's jobs, or something to that effect. He also said, if I remember the info well enough, I should be able to fly through a class and pass the test very quickly. ---juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust passing along what was told to me. :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @whathehell Who were you responding too?
  • Options
    Spoke to a WGU counselor about 2 weeks ago and they said I have to CE credit for the A+ and N+ I passed around the same time as you. He says they want us to be up to date on the knowledge that is required for today's jobs, or something to that effect. He also said, if I remember the info well enough, I should be able to fly through a class and pass the test very quickly. ---juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust passing along what was told to me. :)

If I understand correctly if you pass the Security+ BEFORE enrolling it gives you the CE to make your A+ and N+ current. I have an interview this afternoon, I'll confirm it.
  • Options
    The MTA is even more basic then the S+ so if you have the S+ then both classes should be waived. Mine was when I switched over to the new track for Network Admin. I believe the M$ MTA's were added to give students a lower level of understanding on certain subjects that were giving some students issues.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668

I have not heard that, but pretty interesting!
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    eansdad wrote: »
    The MTA is even more basic then the S+ so if you have the S+ then both classes should be waived. Mine was when I switched over to the new track for Network Admin. I believe the M$ MTA's were added to give students a lower level of understanding on certain subjects that were giving some students issues.

That still makes no sense... Why do I have to take both and not just Sec+? Glad it worked out that you didn't have to take the MTA. I would rather not have to take any of them myself as I've found them to be lackluster...
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    If I understand correctly if you pass the Security+ BEFORE enrolling it gives you the CE to make your A+ and N+ current. I have an interview this afternoon, I'll confirm it.

Well I didn't get a direct answer. He seemed not to know for sure but did say my experience along with completing Security+ COULD be enough. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    Well I didn't get a direct answer. He seemed not to know for sure but did say my experience along with completing Security+ COULD be enough. icon_sad.gif

Ask the question electronically, try to get written email confirmation. Post results here.
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »
    That still makes no sense... Why do I have to take both and not just Sec+? Glad it worked out that you didn't have to take the MTA. I would rather not have to take any of them myself as I've found them to be lackluster...

What doesn't make sense? WGU added lower level classes (MTAs) because a portion of the students were not passing the exams on the 1st try. Thing to remember about WGU is even though they are a non-profit they still need to keep costs down. Every time someone fails an exam or has to resubmit something it costs money. Easiest way to lower the costs on retakes is to have a lower level class that will introduce the most basics of basics. By using the MTAs (WGU is a Microsoft partner) is gives a value added feel over just having an intro to type class and online exam.