Access Servers - This or that?

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
Good aftermorning everyone :)

Wanting to purchase an access server. Because I live in the UK it is going to be a nightmare because nobody sells them on ebay!

This morning I found a 2511-RJ, 133 American dollars with no bids yet. If I want to purchase a Digi CM32 from ebay and have it imported it will cost me the same amount; I would possibly get charged import tax though when importing the CM32 which would be expensive.

Is there any advantages having one over the other (obviously one has 16 terminal lines and the other 32). So difficulties configuring them/setting them up etc etc?

Also what kind of cables do these use to plug my Cisco gear into the access server? Normal RJ45 straight through/cross overs or one of these rollover cables which is RJ45 to RJ45.

Many thanks!
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I just got the AS2511-RJ and it's a joy to use =D all Cisco gear!! so organized... haha

The Cisco AS2511-RJ and 2509-RJ use RJ-45 to R-J45 rollover cables.

The Digi CMs use normal straight through RJ-45 cables. (not sure if they are auto mdix, crossover?)

With the Cisco AS you get 1 ethernet int + 1 serial int. so... if your rack is right besides you, you could just console in, reverse telnet to manage your routers/switches... thus, it leaves the eth and ser interfaces for you to do some routing or host labs.

Don't have experience with Digi CMs so I can't comment about them.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    How many ports do you need? There are a few on ebay if a smaller one is fine. My 16 port one cost about £53 delivered.
    Do a search for console server on ebay as it'll find them
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Thanks for the reply Maple.

Saspro: Well my lab currently consists of 8 bits of equipment, I don't plan to upgrade unless I see something on eBay which is cheap and can't help myself! What do you have?
    Seems to be a few of these HP Eo1013 KVM 8 port console switches.
    Lab:
    I've got a Pearle access server. Can't remember the model but it's 16 ports. Which means I'm looking at upgrading as I've got more than 16 bits of kit now (especially since I picked up the VXR's & extra Pix's & ASA's).

There's nothing really cheap on ebay by the looks of it today but there was stuff the other day.

What's your budget for this?

That HP is a KVM not an access server.
    Not sure what a KVM even is but OK thanks!

As for budget, not got one exactly. Don't really want to be spending more than £80/90. The ease of use though for me is worth the extra money. Also if I have to go and buy RJ45 to RJ45 rollovers, they cost more than normal straight through cables obviously.
    Lab:
    The Perle I've got needed custom wiring so I had to break out the crimps & rj45 plugs.

Either Perle Jetstream JS8524 24-Port Terminal Server Working Incl. VAT | eBay would work or if you're not in a rush I may get rid of my one when I upgrade to a 48 port job
    Only wired one cable myself, a straight through..... oh that wasn't fun, was hopeless. Would the one you link just use normal RJ45 straight through then?
    Lab:
    oli356 wrote: »
    Only wired one cable myself, a straight through..... oh that wasn't fun, was hopeless. Would the one you link just use normal RJ45 straight through then?

I'd say you need custom wiring for any access server. I know mine did
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KVM=Keyboard-Video-Mouse. Allows you to use 1 keyboard, 1 monitor, & 1 mouse on two or more PC's/servers, etc...
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    oli,

if you don't want to crimp wires yourself, then Digi CM sounds like a good idea.

- Digi CMs use normal straight through cables.

Otherwise, you can consider the non RJ version of Cisco access servers. It uses an "octal cable" which is a scsi serial to 8x RJ-45 cables. =O that's a huge cable all-in-one!

- Cisco 2509 and the 2511.

Or even, get a module (NM-16A, NM-32A) for your existing router to double as an access server. These also use "octal cables"

- NM-16A, NM-32A
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The cisco boxes are usually out of this world when it comes to pricing. So bloody expensive! You might be better off getting the Digi CM that everyone else is using. I, on the other hand am using a Lantronix SCS1620. It has 16 ports and works perfectly. Though, you need a good understanding of unix/linux to operate it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    The Digi CMs are so cheap, price doubles though considering I need it shipped from America icon_sad.gif

Looks like they seem to be the way to go. Thanks for all the replies.
    Lab:
    Speaking of the Digi CM's, does any know if you have to make custom cables that go from the access ports to the console port on the cisco device? On my Lantronix I had to make cables... It was a pain since I had to solder the end of 16 console cables.
    CCNP R/S
    oli356 wrote: »
    The Digi CMs are so cheap, price doubles though considering I need it shipped from America icon_sad.gif

Looks like they seem to be the way to go. Thanks for all the replies.

What's wrong with getting something like the Perle and making your own cables?

If you can't make an RJ45 cable you'll never have a career in networking.
    Crimping a cable is on our standard test for network engineers at interview stage.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Speaking of the Digi CM's, does any know if you have to make custom cables that go from the access ports to the console port on the cisco device? On my Lantronix I had to make cables... It was a pain since I had to solder the end of 16 console cables.

straight through cat5 works, no custom cables.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    I know I'll need to be able to do it. Only done it once and it literally took me forever! At the moment I'm busy and don't have the time really. I'm sure I will be doing it anyway over the next few years as I am starting an apprenticeship at Cisco.

But while I'm learning I drive, studying for my theory test, studying for my CCNA while starting Microsoft certification studying along with everything else, I don't want to be spending hours crimping cables. I will in the future for sure.
    Lab:
    I never said I couldn't make any cables... I said I had to make custom cables and solder them. In fact, with the Lantronix it only uses 4 cables and 2 of them were soldered together.
    JeanM wrote: »
    straight through cat5 works, no custom cables.
    That's cool. Making cables is definitely a good practice. But when cabling console cables for a home lab, you don't want to be spending all your time on that.
    CCNP R/S
  • fsuscripfsuscrip Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought a JS8524 but can not get it to work.

What is the configuration of the ports?

How are the wires that connect to a Cisco router JS8524?

thank you very much.