Options

Looking for jobs in other areas/states

seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
First off, I've been unemployed for about a year and a few months now but have offered Freelance services during that time. In November, I'll be getting almost $1700 from student loans that were left over and considering moving or looking in bigger IT areas to try and find a job. With this money it'll allow me to relocate and get everything setup. I'm curious and would like to get a Managers or HR persons perspective if I should risk moving before getting a job and potentially lose that money and have to move back to where I currently am or just look in that area and get interviews, then move. My main concern is in-person interviews because if I keep having to go to places that money will still eventually burn out. Which is the greatest reward vs. risk that HR people normally like to see?

I live in rural Arkansas and there is absolutely nothing around here IT related so kind of stuck.

I'm currently working on my Bachelors in Network Administration at WGU, have my A+, DCSE, prepping for MCTS 70-680 which I should have taken and passed *fingers crossed* by the middle of October. I was going to just finish out my gen ed and other classes first then work on IT stuff but I really need a job so next term plan on taking the Net+ and maybe another MS cert included in the degree plan.

EDIT: I also have 4 years of Tier I and Tier II Help Desk experience so not exactly entry level but not the most experienced.
LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
Up Next - MCSE: Communication
2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was in the same position as you last May as I had some left over money from my last job I was laid off from, and I wanted to get the hell out of my parent's house. I had about $2K. When I was going to get ready to move, I forgot about all the other expenses that I would have to pay for. I already switched bank, but I was going to move to the area where the market isn't so great, and then it hit me that I was going to regret it. You need to consider paying for gas for car when going out looking for interviews, groceries, and you're not going to get your first paycheck right away. Honestly, I don't think you should do it until you have at least enough money to live unemployed in two months when looking for jobs.

Plus, in an event you failed the exam, you would have to pay for the third retake out of your pocket.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, I do have some other money saved up from freelancing that I'll be using for gas and groceries. Depending on where I decide to go though is what will make the money run out faster. I've already talked to a friend who will let me crash at his place and pay $200 for a room and utilities if I decide to go back to that area so that'll last me 5 months and still have $700 left over to put towards more gas, groceries or having to pay out of pocket exam retake fees. This will be my first attempt at the 680 so hopefully I won't need a 2nd and if I do, then I won't need a third.

I'm basically in the same situation where I'm living with my parents but I feel pretty confident if I go back to the area I lived in before I could find something. I keep getting calls from employers in the area about interviewing but I have to tell them I'm not able to relocate at the moment so don't want to waste their time. So I definitely feel good about if I get in an area where there is demand that I could find something fairly quickly.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    First off, what are are you looking to move to? You need to make sure that it's truly an area that has a future for you and isn't just a little bit better than what you're in now. Anywhere that is $200/month for a room and utilities doesn't sound like a very IT rich area to be honest. Remember, most IT rich areas are going to have a much higher cost of living than you're used to now.

While staying with your friend is definitely a good option, you need to financially plan for that not working out. Fights happen, welcomes are overstayed, girlfriends get angry, ect ect. If you're not able to come up with at least a deposit, first and last at a place of your own as well as money to live on for a few months then you are setting yourself up to fail. I'm of the opinion that we need to take risks to get ahead but this seems to be a bit much.
  • Options
    I understand what you're saying Akaricloud, this isn't something I'm just jumping in to because it seems a little better than my current situation. I live in north central Arkansas right now which is where I'm originally from and after graduating high school was offered an IT position in Bentonville, AR which I loved it up there in that area. My career location goal is somewhere on the east coast but for now until I finish my degree and get some more experience, this area or someplace like Kansas City or St Louis are what my eyes are on. I would really like to get back to Bentonville(200 miles away) and this is where my friend is. The $200 isn't reflective of normal rent in that area, I used to pay $500 and that was pretty cheap compared to other places, when I had my own place there a few years back. This friend is someone I got to know when I moved up there and we had been roommates for about a year and half before I moved back to where I am now so don't see any potential clashes and that price is just him offering me a room and utils in his home.

As I said I'm not just jumping into this blindly and have discussed how long I would be welcome which we set to 5 months because he might be transferring to a new area around that time. Even if money does become tight, 5 months is quite a while I have to look for new positions and going into the Christmas season a lot of vendors in the Bentonville area start hiring on new people for help desk jobs to balance everything with Wal*Mart being up there and which usually turn into permanent positions. My first job up there was 6 month contract to perm and I told I was going to be brought on perm at 3 months because of performance.

I understand the risk might seem greater than what most would be comfortable with and some may even say its dumb. I mentioned though, that I keep getting interview offers, at least 2 a week for the past year that I have to turn down because I'm not able to relocate so I know there are jobs up there after skills and experience I have. I'm 23, living with my parents, still 1.5 years away from a degree, no job or job opportunities in IT in my area and feel if my current situation doesn't change I will end up being stuck in this place for the rest of my life working at a chicken or flooring plant and that will be the rest of my life. After seeing the same thing happen to so many other people I knew growing up and went to school with who could have went places in life, you have no idea how much that terrifies me. Because even if I hold off until I get a degree or save up more money, it's going to be even harder than it would be now to explain unemployment times or getting the money to be able to interview in other areas and relocate once my degree is finished.

I've sent out feelers for jobs in other areas like Kansas City and St Louis, even Houston and have only gotten 1 response which I feel is due to my location. I think I'll just settle back on Bentonville for now and once I find something and have my savings built back up look for something elsewhere.
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    It really depends on what you want to do. Look for a room mate first of all because the deposit and rent will be more than you have to spare. If you move to an area with a strong IT market you should be able to get contact positions. Those are less than ideal but will definitely pay enough to cover a split rent. While you work the contract position be sure to continue looking for full time work. Other options would be saving money while working closer to home, teaching English in Korea (they cover your housing), or joining a military branch.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I suggest getting as many interviews as possible for one set week and crash at your friends, see if you get any bites.. THEN move. I have seen many friends and family use their bank accounts unemployed move across country only to come back in a worse situation than starting.

Remember: use your buddys address as yours on the resume, that way people don't discard you thinking that you are commuting far.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I am in a similar situation as you. I just graduated from WGU and have several certifications and 6 years of experience. I currently live in Little Rock and want to leave this God forsaken state as soon as humanly possible. Over the past 2 months, I have probably applied to 300 job postings. The only interviews I have had so far have been for jobs where the listing didn't match the qualifications they were actually looking for. I may have finally landed a contract position paying less than I want and located in Little Rock, but it will pay the bills, just waiting on background check to finish up.

I am BARELY in a position where the right job might pay to relocate me. Since you have 2 years less experience and haven't finished your degree yet, I would say that it out of the question. Just apply to every single opening you are qualified for in the area you want to be in. In you cover letter, be sure to state that you want to relocate and are just waiting to find the right position.

7 years ago, I had just got out of the Army on a medical discharge and was going through physical rehab so I was living with my parents. After 2 weeks, I decided that I had to leave and moved out with $200 and my car. I knew that to do that I was going to have to be willing to take the first job I could find. I slept in my car for a week until I found someone willing to let me rent a room in their house and let me pay them a month late.

It's doable, but you have to fully understand exactly how far you are willing to go.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm also considering a move myself, however i'm looking at the costs as around 5k or more in order to pull it off. Money to drive/fly to interviews, deposit for an apartment, first months rent, deposit for utilities, moving costs, etc. Obviously this is all going to depend on your standard of living and the cost of living where you're going. I would however go with at least double the amount of cash on hand you have now, I would also suggest landing the position before moving.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its a leap of faith when moving. Trying to get a job in another state before living there is harder then you would think. Everytime I said I was willing to move on my own, and travel on my own to the interview they would decline. They said the jobs go too quick to wait for someont to relocate...and I could have started within two weeks. I got real close to just moving and taking the chace of finding a job one I was in the city of my choice. You need to have a stock of savings to be able to live on. I would suggest 3-6 months worth of expenses.

I was using my sister's address, which tend to help people to give me a call.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action