How much money can a malicious hacker make a week ?

AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here's an interview with a malicious hacker (less than 20 yo) claiming making over $10,000 a week:

Interview with a malicious hacker making over $10,000 a week

Cybercime does pay...
Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice post - One of our security directors said a zero day attack could fetch 25k. Knock a couple of those out, and you don't need a job...This credit card thing is insane though. Interesting process he goes through laundering the money.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I think I made about 50 bucks last week....oh wait you said malicious hacker - I thought you said miscreant slacker.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    One of our security directors said a zero day attack could fetch 25k.

There was an article about it on Forbes a few months ago:
    Shopping For Zero-Days: A Price List For Hackers' Secret Software Exploits - Forbes
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    There was an article about it on Forbes a few months ago:
    Shopping For Zero-Days: A Price List For Hackers' Secret Software Exploits - Forbes

$250k for an exploit? I think I've found my new part-time job. :p
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah you can probably get paid good money for being a "pen tester." That being said you can probably get paid by company A to do a lil pen test work on company B, on some under the table pay deal.

Get your pen testing skills up my friends! its the way of the future after your cisco or microsoft certs are done. Security if blowing up big time in our faces and its so big we cant even begin to gauge it right now.

Imagine this type of work in a third world country and how godly your skills will be viewed down there and the amount of money they will pay you to do some pen testing work, whether it be malicious or not. Pen testing skills are highly valuable right now and in the future. Cyber warfare , dont be a sitting duck lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you can get a fair amt with other types of hacking as well
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I didnt quite understand the point about the third world country chrisone, would you be able to clarify
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Simply there are not enough skilled pen testers out there to pay. I bet there is more opportunities/companies in those countrys with pen testing jobs but not enough local pen testers. My statement has nothing to do with who is smarter or that US has smarter skilled pen testers if that is what you thought I said. i apologize for the godly statement it does sound like i was hinting on that statement :P
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Enough to land you in jail for a long time. ;)
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I read an article not too long ago where they gentlemen had posted his resume and was getting offers from all over the world to "pen test". Cyber Mercenaries are the future ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    No harm done chrisone, thats why I clarified icon_thumright.gif its sad that in my country where IT/Programming skills are in so common we dont have many with these skill sets.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Yeah you can probably get paid good money for being a "pen tester."
    How much money can a pen tester get for a job ? I've read a while ago from another forum, a freelance pen tester asking $200/hr.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    No harm done chrisone, thats why I clarified icon_thumright.gif its sad that in my country where IT/Programming skills are in so common we dont have many with these skill sets.

Why would it be sad? Less competition for jobs if you possess the right skills ;)
    LOL true, I have a really long way to go icon_lol.gif