Options

I'am having hard time explaining Work Market in interviews

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Explaining Work Market During an Interview

I'am having hard time explaining Work Market in interviews, because not many recruiters have heard of Work Market, or On Force.
Here is what it says on my resume:

I work for Work Market as an IT Field Services Technician/Temporary Contractor
Work Market, Inc. New York, NY

I explain during interveiws that I do on site repairs in people’s homes.

The problem I’m having is that recruiters ask ....why is the company in New York, NY? Am I remote tech? Since, Idon't live in New York it is confusing.

Also, explaining the work and work Market’s concept seems to be a choir, so it would be nice to find an easier way to do it.
Here’s what I say:

I work for Work Market, which is a company that has a website that hosts other companies, who send out jobs to multiple technicians, and technicians accept the terms of the contract. Technicians are paid for that one job as a 1099 contractor, and they must follow the rules of the company providing the job.

So I ‘m looking for 2 things

A. An easier way to Explain the Work Market concept..this would be great if it was as non technical as possible.

B. Another way to list Work Market on my resume—it says New York, NY, but that seems to confuse a lot of recruiters.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would list the job experience as self-employed and saying that you had your own contracting business. That isn't false and in an interview, you can provide a better explanation or even show the interviewer your profile with your rating from clients.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As Iristheangel said, I used OnForce quite a bit in 2011 and got a lot of hand-on experience from it, so list it. I have the experience listed under self employment and just explain that I was contracted by other companies to do projects in my area and have even logged in a few times for interviewers to see my ratings and feedback from jobs. I've done this for Elance too as that's where I go a lot of my web dev work so I have a nice profile on there that shows them what I've done.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you did explain that very clearly, then maybe the place you were being interviewed at isn't the best place to work for. From your opinion, were they at least competent in a way you would feel comfortable working for them?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed with Iris and Seth. Just list self-employment, independent contractor, consultant, or something along those lines.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340