Options

Questions about Luns and backing up

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi

We have a Nexsan SATASbeast split in to 4 luns. One of these Luns is connected to a Vsphere 5 setup via Iscsi, and is sued by the VMware Data Recovery server as a back up destination ..

My questions is how can I back up this LUN to tape? Can a separate server mount this LUN as a hard disk and back it up using a standard backup method.

Or how can we get that data of the SATAbeast on to a of network media??

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have a backup solution that integrates with vCenter (NetBackup, Backup Exec, and Tivoli support this), you can follow their documentation to backup the LUN to tape. From what I remember from NetBackup, you could add the LUN to the Windows NetBackup server, as long as you don't mount it (you had to turn off auto mounting in Windows by running a command). Then, pulling configuration info from vCenter, you could backup each of the VMs
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...