which WAN protocols we really need to know?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
Lammel says only HDLC,PPP,FR are supported on a Cisco router serial interface. However, he mentioned a lot other WAN protocols like MPLS, ATM, PPPOE, ISDN, etc.. I'm really concerned. Do we really need to know much about them?

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you doing CCNA? or CCENT?

You'll need to know HDLC, PPP, FrameRelay. Know how they work, how to troubleshoot, what to expect to see if something's a miss. Especially FrameRelay. Yeah that puppy can be heavy.

I would, however, atleast keep in mind how everything sort of comes together. If you're just starting I know it looks like a black soup of mess. Keep at it, you'll get it. It's a lot of pieces for a very gigantic puzzle which is so beautiful when to think about it... it's amazing. Just thinking about what everything happens, how it can happen, how things go and the distances involved. Man o' Man. I have the mind set to fire up the ol' GNS3 and lab some FrameRelay.

Let's do this!!1

Before I got too excited, I was going to say - It's amazing that anything gets from A to B. Yet I complain when my ping sucks on the internet :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Are you doing CCNA? or CCENT?

You'll need to know HDLC, PPP, FrameRelay. Know how they work, how to troubleshoot, what to expect to see if something's a miss. Especially FrameRelay. Yeah that puppy can be heavy.

I know HDLC/PPP/FR are required. I'm concerned other WAN protocols mentioned by Lammle...
    Just know of them and where they lay on the OSI model. You may want to dig up some side research, but it's not a real need to do it. If you're just learning, I wouldn't bog you down anymore if you didn't want to read up on them. It's actually really neat stuff.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I think you only need to know the basics. Like, for example, PPPoE is usually used with DSL, and ISDN is a slow legacy technology.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Know your show commands for all of them.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
    The whole WAN technology looks like a big piece of legacy to me...
    framerelay may not be used - as much. I believe MPLS is the current golden technology - but that's learned at a different cisco track :)

Outdated, maybe, but people still have fr wan setup. If you don't want to learn it, don't learn it. You may be able to pass your cisco exam still. But I'd stress may.

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lammel says only HDLC,PPP,FR are supported on a Cisco router serial interface. However, he mentioned a lot other WAN protocols like MPLS, ATM, PPPOE, ISDN, etc.. I'm really concerned. Do we really need to know much about them?
    You don't need to know the details of configuring/troubleshooting WAN protocols for the current CCNA/CCNP exams. The CCNP track used to have an entire test called BCRAN (Building Cisco Remote Access Networks) which covered all the debug commands. Those days are gone.
    The whole WAN technology looks like a big piece of legacy to me...
    It may seem that way at first since fewer companies deploy Frame Relay than in the past. However, the concepts such as VCs, LMI, NBMA, QoS bits, CIR/PIR, etc. exist in modern networks. They just happen to run over a more elaborate mix of protocols. Frame Relay clouds also tend to be one of the easier WANs to simulate in a lab so you can focus on routing over WANs in general.

For now, my advice is to focus more on "How does OSPF/RIP route over NBMA networks?" and less on "What is the precise format of a frame relay frame?"
    You don't need to know the details of configuring/troubleshooting WAN protocols for the current CCNA/CCNP exams. The CCNP track used to have an entire test called BCRAN (Building Cisco Remote Access Networks) which covered all the debug commands. Those days are gone.

It may seem that way at first since fewer companies deploy Frame Relay than in the past. However, the concepts such as VCs, LMI, NBMA, QoS bits, CIR/PIR, etc. exist in modern networks. They just happen to run over a more elaborate mix of protocols. Frame Relay clouds also tend to be one of the easier WANs to simulate in a lab so you can focus on routing over WANs in general.

For now, my advice is to focus more on "How does OSPF/RIP route over NBMA networks?" and less on "What is the precise format of a frame relay frame?"

I'm noted! thx