Options

Help me get an interview - Check over my CV/resume please

clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

A job has come up locally that I'd like to apply for. I've been in the same job for over 8 years now and I love the security of it but I'm at a point where I think I need to take a risk and move on in order to keep progressing. CV is pretty rough, I've only really added a few qualifications to it and a desciption of my current and previous jobs. Let me know what I'm going to need to do in order to get through the door for an interview.

Thanks!

CN

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi Clark - I personally liked your resume. But I know that there are plenty of other folks that would probably have lots more to say.

My only real comments are that I generally do not see a lot of resumes written in a narrative form. Generally, I l would suggest avoiding a narrative style - for example you say:
    Initially employed as IT Technician before progressing through to 2nd and 3rd line levels. My duties have ranged from troubleshooting software and hardware problems to server building, data backup, systems administration and IT project management. I have implemented robust cost-saving systems such as backup servers and computer image replication systems based on Linux and Free Software.

I probably would have used this style:
    Demonstrated progressing success and elevated from tier 1 to tier 3. Duties include troubleshooting of software and hardware problems, server building, data backup, systems administration and IT project management. Successfully implemented cost-saving systems such as backup servers and computer image replication systems based on Linux and Free Software.

Also note that I highlighted accomplishments such as being promoted through the ranks and cost-saving accomplishments.
  • Options
    Thanks Paul, I appreciate your input.

I'm going to be updating my CV tonight and putting in an application for the position. Any further feedback from forum members would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Ok, well I was invited in for the interview. I attended that this morning, I think I did pretty well. The post if for Linux tech support with VMware experience From start to finish it was a little over three hours, interviews with their lead technical support advisor to determine my abilities and then another interview with the head of the company. It must have gone pretty well because they asked me if I had time to stay and do the technical test.

Completed the technical test, got it nearly all right. I was a bit intimidated at the start by it but I just relaxed and worked my way through it. The test was a bit of a "break and fix", I had to fix CUPS and Apache configs, fix locked out accounts, determine start up services, versions of the Linux kernel that were installed and which was the default etc. Another task was to set up passwordless ssh login for a remote server. This took me the longest, I was used to running it on Debian machines and it seemed a little different on a Fedora box but I got there in the end. I think the recent exams that I'd done left me in good stead for this.

When it came time to showing the lead tech guy my work, he was impressed. He told me that most people don't even finish and was impressed that I'd got around 95% right and finished with time to spare.

So, here's to hoping for some good news later this week. It's around a 30% pay increase and a 20 minute commute rather than the 1 hour + that I do at the moment. I'd really like to get this job! Cross all fingers and toes for me please :)
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice job! That actually sounds like a fun interview. I'm rooting for ya.
  • Options
    Ok, well I've not received a firm offer but I have been asked to go in again and have a look around the place, meet the team etc. This must be a good sign yes? I'll update this thread later on in the week, hopefully with good news.
  • Options
    That does sound like a good sign indeed. Good luck.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarknova wrote: »
    Ok, well I've not received a firm offer but I have been asked to go in again and have a look around the place, meet the team etc. This must be a good sign yes? I'll update this thread later on in the week, hopefully with good news.

I would imagine that they are seriously considering you and want to give everyone a chance to get a first impression and see if there are any issues that pop up immediately. My previous job and my current place a big importance on the new guy fitting in well with the team so they dont disrupt the current flow of work.
  • Options
    I got the job! I've yet to formally accept but I'm going to do so once I get the written offer. It's a good bump in salary ~35% and a much shorter commute.

I shall be having a few cold refreshments this evening to celebrate.
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice increase in salary. Congratulations on the offer.

Enjoy the cold refreshments - although I thought that Brits drank their beer warm or is that some kind of American urban legend? icon_smile.gif