Couple quick questions for the CCENT

blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
Hey guys I had a few quick ones to ask. I'm planning on taking the CCENT around late September/early Oct. I read through Odom's book and I feel comfortable so far. I was wondering how accurate are the questions on websites such as subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online or networking-forum.com - Practice Subnetting to what will appear on the exam? It's pretty rare that I take longer than 10 seconds on any of those questions, but I also don't want to be surprised.

Also, how far into the CCNA lab nuggets should I go if I only want to prepare for the CCENT? I have Cisco Packet Tracer, but I still feel clumsy working with it having learned from a book. I don't have much real work experience with terminals either.

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

Comments

• Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a CCENT lab nugget incase you didnt know. If you understand Odom's book, I doubt it will be of much benefit to you.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Why do you say that? While I understand his book I find programming/configuring difficult to learn from text. I'll look into the CCENT lab nuggets though, thanks
    Actually after having browsed through a few videos see your point. I went on the assumption they were focused on the 'lab' aspect since it was in the name, haha. Does anyone know of any alternative guides to learning configuration?
  • Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Boson Netsim has a lot of labs... and of course you could use GNS3, and play around with it yourself. I hope I understood what you were asking.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely spend more time using Packet Tracer. You need to be comfortable with configuring:

-Hostname
    -IP address
    -Default gateway
    -RIP
    -PPP
    -HDLC
    -Switchport security

If you aren't comfortable doing those things, you may not pass the exam
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    blatini wrote: »
    Actually after having browsed through a few videos see your point. I went on the assumption they were focused on the 'lab' aspect since it was in the name, haha. Does anyone know of any alternative guides to learning configuration?

Easy.

Packet Tracer
    GNS3

Or spend $50 and get yourself a used router and switch.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    How about the subnetting questions? Are the ones on those websites close to what you'd see on an exam? At least in terms of figure x out when y is the case. I'm sure they have much more to them than that. Just in terms of calculations and such
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Why do you say that? While I understand his book I find programming/configuring difficult to learn from text. I'll look into the CCENT lab nuggets though, thanks

I've been recommending this book for a while these past couple days, Cisco Press "Portable Command Guide", and you'd get the CCNA version (edition 2 i believe)

Great refresh on configs.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    How about the subnetting questions? Are the ones on those websites close to what you'd see on an exam? At least in terms of figure x out when y is the case. I'm sure they have much more to them than that. Just in terms of calculations and such
    Most of us say if you do a load of these questions: subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online you will understand subnetting. Once you understand it you can figure out any question.

You might get something like:

R1 is connected to Host1 and Host2 via a switch. Host2 can't connect to R1 but Host1 can.
    R1 has the IP address 172.15.32.1 with the subnet: 255.255.224.0.
    The IP address on Host1 is: 172.15.62.10 with the subnet 255.255.224.0 (the default-gateway is set correctly)
    The IP address on Host2 is: 172.15.64.10 with the subnet 255.255.224.0 (the default-gateway is set correctly)

What is the problem?

Know what /19 is when you see it (255.255.224.0) and be able to work out bit notation quickly. Know how to calculate how many networks and hosts you can have from a certain subnet.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.