Cisco router and switch setup questions (never done this before!)

sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
I'm going to install a Cisco 2911 Router along with a 3560 switch for a customer in about two weeks. Even though I'm a CCNA, I've never touched any Cisco equipment in my life. I have some experience with HP networking gear, but that's it. I was hesitant about doing it but I figured why not try? So I ordered a couple of routers and switches to practice in my home.

What should I pay attention to? What issues may arise while I'm on site?

P.S. Please move the topic if it's not in the right section :)

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    2911? Ok just bang your head up against the wall real quick because that's all you're gonna get out of it.

Just kidding. I am also in the planning/implementation phases for this router as well and am just getting towards the end of testing.

First off make sure you purchased the right software license. If you want advanced routing or policy based routing or dual WAN failover , get the data-k9 license ($500). I had to find this out the hard way so we will not implement dual wan in our environment for now.

Firewall, VPN , IPS, etc functionality? You'll need the SEC/k9 license. Then for SSLVPN you will need per user license.

Otherwise you can get up to speed quickly if you use cisco configuration professional. In order to actually connect to it you will need to console in briefly to configure IP on the interfaces and fire them up (which can be done using a mini USB connection on the ISR routers). But after you config ssh/telnet and http/s then you can use CCP to config the WAN interface, NAT, DHCP et all. Firewall and performance routing again if you've paid for it. Of course when it's all said and done you will need to lock it down. For some reason, CCP tells me I shouldn't be able to access the 2911 web interface from the WAN but I still can, so that's a security issue to mitigate if you can.

I'm sure some CCIE nerds will fly in here and correct me but this is just from one 2911-virgin to another.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Luckily, I don't have to deal with licenses and such. It's actually a K9 router with all bells and whistles. I was told I'll have the configuration file when I'm on site, so my job is only to connect the cables and mount both devices into a rack. Still, I'm afraid to mess something up :)

What is the mini-USB connection? Does it mean I can use a regular USB-miniUSB cable instead of console cable?
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I am curious about that mini-usb port. I saw that on our 3560X switch and it says console. I still use the regular console port, and I could not use the mini-usb port because I don't have a cable for it.

THe CCP is that free to download like the SDM? I could be wrong, but that is a newer version of the SDM, correct?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm sure some CCIE nerds will fly in here and correct me but this is just from one 2911-virgin to another.[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to offer something constructive, but the shame of being a "nerd" was just to much. icon_redface.gif

:)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He actually meant, fly in with a cape. So it makes it better, EMcCaleb.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The mini USB is the new form of console connection. The driver is (hard enough to find) on the Cisco site.

You'll more than likely also have the good old serial D9 connection at the back.
    This is what I hope for. I also saw an Ethernet to RS232 cable and was curious about it. Technically, it's still a rollover cable, but how does Windows recognize it? Which end connects to the router and which one to the PC?
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    That would be your standard Cisco console cable. The rj45 will plug into the router or switch and the db9/rs232 will plug into your computer. If you have a newer computer without a rs232 port you will need a USB<>rs232 adapter. See link below. I have heard a few arguments over brands but i've never had any problems with the Prolifics.

Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Chipset): Computers & Accessories
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a copy and paste job to me. How did you get your ccna without touching real equipment? Will they provide a step by step guide on what to do? If the engineer did his research correctly after you copy and paste the in the global configuration mode there shouldnt be any errors. You'll just need your laptop with a usb to serial connector trendnet brand always worked well for me. That prolific crap sucks.
    I only worked with HP and getting a CCNA wasn't difficult because I knew the concepts pretty well.
    By the way, it's just a test. A lot of people practice using Packet Tracer and GNS3. It's not like I'm a CCIE and never touched a Cisco device in my life ;)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's the con with working on emulators and simulators without having any prior experience with handling the equipment. You run the risk of breaking something. But if everything is preinstalled once you arrive on Site all you have to do is place it where they want and follow the instructions it's not difficult.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Yes the mini usb (B) cable is just the standard one found on alot of external hard drives, cameras, some phones etc. I usually always have one short one laying on my desk. But I figured you may be working with it regularly; if not then no point in bothering with the driver install. The reason I use it is because my primary machine is a macbook and even though I have a windows VM and attatch the serial cable to it, It only works about half the time. On the mac I can just open up terminal and fire away.

And for the ccie folks no disrespect :). More of a "i'm not worthy" sort of thing LOL.
    I just received my new toys (Cisco 1721 router and a few 2950 switches) and freaked out. There are no RS-232 ports on either of them! I thought I could just use a USB-to-Serial adapter like I do on HP switches at work, but no. There is a console RJ-45 port and I also have a cable for it, but none of my laptops have a COM port.

I also checked the specs of the router and switch I'm going to install, but they also require RJ-45 console cable! Basically, I have to either find a way to connect RJ-45 to a USB port or find a laptop that has a COM port...

I know there is a mini-USB console port on 2900 series router, but what can I do about the 2960 switch?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    All you need is a db9-rj45 adapter. Should be able to find one for less than $10.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A one of these:

Connects to a USB - Serial converter. It's USB on one end/side, and D sub 9 pin connector on the other.

I've had best results with the prolific chipset.
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    haha, this is quite amusing =)

sratakhin is CCNA but doesn't know about USB -> DB-9 -> RJ-45 console management terminals =p

I'm not saying this to belittle/undermine his CCNA.

Instead, remember your excitement when you first got your lab equipment? Even though most of our lab is old second hand routers/switches, but that first day you just feel like you've joined the Cisco club =D Then you try to figure out how to get inside into the configurations.

and sratakhin is basically experiencing something pretty similar to that, when we first got our lab. Except he already has his CCNA and networking knowledge.

hehe, just saying.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
    What's so funny about it? I have some experience working with HP switches using features like Multiple Spanning Trees, LACP and distributed trunking. CCNP Switch stuff, as far as I know. Getting CCNA wasn't difficult at all, as I used Packet Tracer to lab extensively. Many people on this forum tell there is no need for physical equipment at CCNA level and I took it for granted. A mistake on my part, but who knew? :)

P.S. I just ended up buying a used Dell laptop that has a COM port. Funny, because I also have an 8-years old laptop that doesn't have parallel and serial ports...
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    exactly! you DEFINITELY know more and have more experience than me and most other people like me, starting our networking studies.

so it's a small win for us newbies when we know DB-9 to USB =D haha
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
    I'm so excited! Got all devices working. However, it looks like I got older versions of IOS - 12.2 on the Router and 12.1 on the switches. Will do the upgrades after I get extra DRAM for the router - 12.4 needs 128MB and I only have 64.