Options

Best stuff for ICND2

KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I just passed ICND1. Awesome feelings.
Currently I am working in different area, not related with PCs or networking at all. I have no any equipment at home, excpect my lovely Laptop. I just wonder, my next goal is to get ICND2 till Christmas and next year start looking for a new job where I could express my CISCO knowledges and get necessary experience.
The question is, what books would you recommend for preparing ICND2? People say some books have mistakes or are too boring, too complicated, time-wasting and so on. For ICND1 I have read Wendell Odom, watched Jeremy videos and played with packed tracer. What's it.
For ICND2 I have Jeremy's videos as well, plus packet tracer. So just need to buy a proper book(s). Would you recommend W.Odom? Because for ICND1 it looked a bit complicated. What about Jeremy books? Are they useful? His videos are awesome and make things much clearer. And what is the best method to prepare, because many books covers ICND1&2 together, or full CCNA, but I think, I just need separate, clear ICND2 preparation, without overloading my brains with previous stuff too much. It is really hard to preapare for all these certificates without really work experience. Thank you very much for suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never used Jeremy books?

If you intend on getting a career where you'll be using Cisco often... knowing that previous information is still going to be important. Being able to connect the dots, so to speak.

There's a lot of ways to study for ICND2: These are what often is used

Videos, Lab, Reading, Audio, Practice Tests

Videos:
    CBT Nuggets
    INE.com
    TrainSignal
    Youtube.
    Other: There's a lot of videos out there, such as "Video Mentors".

Lab:
    PacketTracer (Need to be Cisco Academy Alumni/Currently Enrolled)
    GNS3 (Free but requires IOS files)
    Boson NetSim 8 (Not free)
    Physical Labs

Labs to Lab:
    Free CCNA Workbook
    Boson NetSim 8 includes the lab material to study.
    Certification Kits.

Reading:
    Wendell Odom - ICND2
    Todd Lammle - CCNA

Audio:
    Record yourself, using an MP3 player
    There's a few audio books out there.

Practice Tests: Note - Not Exam ****.
    Practice tests will get you in the mood to do exams. It allows you to also guage your abilty before, and after the test. The best way to take them is to ask the question "Why is X answer not right?" instead of immediately going through all the answers.
    Boson ExamSim
    TechExams
    There's other Tests out there. Just be careful where you tread.

Also:
    Taking notes, Highlighting, Actively Reading, Persistence, Drawing out the steps for things helps to make theory real, MindMaps (I don't think I've done this right)

I take notes with OneNote. Love it - I had to find a way to create custom styles, otherwise it's great.
    My fiance prefers Word.

Try to make the notes short, sweet and to the point. I highlight with the intent to make those words the bullet points.

I write in my book, now. More than just coloring. I try to eradicate "Example" paragraphs with a like "ex" in the margin. If I just want to give it a once over, I can be sure I can skim over those areas.

...I'm still learning how to learn as I'm developing study skills I didn't need in Highschool or College. http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/80682-question-all-those-ccies-how-do-you-do.html#post668000

I'm taking notes from the persons that need to retain the information :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on your pass and thank you both for great reference advice!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    KAzzzkas wrote: »
    For ICND1 I have read Wendell Odom, watched Jeremy videos and played with packed tracer. What's it.
    For ICND2 I have Jeremy's videos as well, plus packet tracer. So just need to buy a proper book(s). Would you recommend W.Odom? Because for ICND1 it looked a bit complicated. What about Jeremy books? Are they useful? His videos are awesome and make things much clearer. And what is the best method to prepare, because many books covers ICND1&2 together, or full CCNA, Thank you very much for suggestions.

Once you know the ICND2 objectives, sticky or post them on your wall or bring them into Excel and use free online resources (i.e google, summarized PDF or similar ICND2 e-books). Get a good simulator or take a ICND2 level course that can get you packet trainer or hands on experience with real equipment even if you are using a simulator but can see the equipment and get plenty of labbing knowledge (pay careful attention to real-world experience from the real world scenarios). I honestly think you will be so busy with learning from objectives and using e-books that you won't even need the 1000 page study-tomes.
  • Options
    KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for answers.
    I am very keen to buy Todd LammleCCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 7th Edition. I have read louds of good feedbacks, but they all are about preparation for CCNA straight away. I am preparing for ICND2 at the moment, so in theory I should study much less information than guys who are going straight way on CCNA.
    My concern is, does this book cover all topics from ICND2?
    Isn't rather just buy the book, which is suited exactly for 640-816, ICND2 exam?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CCNA from todd is 864 [amazon counted]. ICND1 (By itself) from Wendell is over 640. Pages.

With that in mind, theres definitely doing to be lacking of something. If may be Wendell's is bloated, or that Todd doesn't cover the knowledge in depth.

If you buy the Todd, expect re-reading. It may induce boredom.

I don't know. It's up to you. Personally, I like Wendell's depth. It may be long winded at times, but it goes deeper than a book that's just to pass.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I used Wendells book for ICND1. I did like the depth that it went into. I had already taken the Net Academy courses a couple of years earlier. But I still decided on Wendells books for the depth. It made for a very good refresher on everything.

That being said, there is a place for all types of books out there for CCNA. Some people already have experience with Cisco products and just need to study to pass the test. Others are just starting to learn the material for the first time. It all depends on where you are at and what you want to get out of the material you are using.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a bunch of Lab information on my Blog, check it out, see my Sig below.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Most people are either a Lammel guy or an Odom guy, a Jeremy guy or a Bryant guy. My advice would be read the previews on Amazon and find out which one you are. The INE course is free for CCNA and seems to be pretty highly regarded. The Bryant course is cheap and is my personal recommendation. I believe that Chris Bryant has a way of explaining CCNA material better than anyone in the industry. However, some people think he is dry as hell and can't stand him. Just sample as much as you can and see which one will click.