Are IPv6 and VPN part of current CCNA exam?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I see them in Lammle's book, but not in the CCNA's subject list...

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see both IPv6 as well as VPN on the 640-802 topic list at: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4976

• Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc).

• Describe IPv6 addresses
    • Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IPv6 I would study up quite a bit on and understand the underlying fundementals, this is going to be more introduced each time the exam is revised. I had probably a handful of IPv6 questions.

VPN stuff was more along the lines of best practices / protocols involved types of questions. I just passed it back in March so I should be a relatively fresh reference.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IPv6 is in there. The characteristics, types of addresses, types of assignments, how to shorten/omit 0s, how to configure RIPng, the transitioning methods.

VPN, they go over the definition, characteristics like CIA, protocols. CCNA security actually goes into the configuration of them.

And Daniel, they should've revised the exam last year and put a greater emphasis on IPv6, tossed away Frame Relay and updated protocols/technologies.
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I see both IPv6 as well as VPN on the 640-802 topic list at: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4976

• Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc).

• Describe IPv6 addresses
    • Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)

I am preparing ICND1. It looks like IPv6 is tested in ICND2.
    Daniel, do you think Lammle's book is enough to cover the test subjects regarding IPv6 and VPN?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am preparing ICND1. It looks like IPv6 is tested in ICND2.

Since you stated "CCNA" in your original post, I figured 802. Good luck.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Since you stated "CCNA" in your original post, I figured 802. Good luck.

You're right. I though ICND2 is just lab version of ICND1, and covers the same set of subjects.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know for sure that IP6 is in ICND2. I'm not sure if VPNs are part of the CCNA track. If you meant VLANs, they're on the ICND2 as well. VPNs are actually created by enabling encryption algorithms like IPSec on a server.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to teach at the Network Academy and both topics were covered in CCNA. You don't need a server to perform IPSEC tunnels. You can create a tunnel between a router to router, router to ASA/Pix, etc.

They simply cover the types of VPNs like remote access, the types of devices that can be used to establish VPNs, VPN protocols, characteristics of a VPN, etc.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're right. I though ICND2 is just lab version of ICND1, and covers the same set of subjects.

No - ICND2 adds: STP, VTP, EIGRP, OSPF, VLSM, IPv6, VPN, Frame Relay, NAT, etc