Options

no cover letter?

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I saw a job that I'm interested in at an ISP and the website is only asking for the resume.
I plan on working on the cover letter. My question do you think that they
would read it if they didn't request it on the website in the first place? Also they don't
state a name so who would I be writing to?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they don't ask for a cover letter then don't send one. I've never used a cover letter and none of the resumes passed down to me have ever contained one. Maybe HR or recruiters check them out, but not sure if anyone really reads them to be honest. I know a lot of people here use them so I'm sure you will get differing opinions on the subject though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    So I saw a job that I'm interested in at an ISP and the website is only asking for the resume.
    I plan on working on the cover letter. My question do you think that they
    would read it if they didn't request it on the website in the first place? Also they don't
    state a name so who would I be writing to?

They may or may not read it. I would address it 'Dear Sir or Madam,"
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Don't be lazy, go the extra mile and show that you want the job. If there is not a way to upload it separately, just include it with the resume. When it is up to me, resumes without cover letters go in the trash.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My question do you think that they
    would read it if they didn't request it on the website in the first place?
    Make sure your resume clearly states everything they must know to hire you within the first page. I've never written a cover letter and I seem to have no trouble getting the jobs I'm interested in. It also can't remember ever coming across a cover letter that actually swayed me. But, if it's short and good, I see no harm in including one, and it might even slightly increase your odds.
  • Options
    Would it be possible for someone to reject my resume just because I sent a cover letter when they didn't ask for it? I know there are some people that go a little crazy when people do things that aren't asked for.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would it be possible for someone to reject my resume just because I sent a cover letter when they didn't ask for it?
    Anything is possible. You might encounter someone who loves cover letters or someone who hates them. Your typical employer doesn't care, for a technical position, and just wants whomever sounds like they best meet the role's requirements/preferences with respect to experience, certifications, and education. Unless you have insider information, don't overthink these things. :)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly, if they don't ask for or give you an optional place to submit a cover letter then you probably shouldn't. If they wanted one then they would make it clear.

By submitting a cover letter instead of just a resume you've failed to follow their simple instructions and risk them ignoring your application because of it.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing Akaricloud.

Thank you everyone for the input.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I'm not sure that cover letters were ever really asked for in job listings. But it used to be pretty much a standard that you sent them. Now a days I don't really think that is a standard anymore. But I don't think that sending a cover letter without being asked for one isn't following directions. In fact it might show that you really want the job by taking that little extra step to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd.

When possible I always send a thank you to the person I interviewed with thanking them for their time and consideration. Something I don't think is really done all that much anymore either.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    My cover letters are generally extremely generic unless I REALLY REALLY want the job. Something like:

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I am writing in response to the job posting you have listed for a System Administrator in Norfolk, VA. I have attached my resume for your review. I think you will find that my experience makes me well qualified for this position. Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience.

I would enjoy discussing this opportunity with you further. I can be reached by phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx or by email at [email][/email]
    @---.com.

Regards,

MiikeB
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    MiikeB wrote: »
    My cover letters are generally extremely generic unless I REALLY REALLY want the job. Something like:

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I am writing in response to the job posting you have listed for a System Administrator in Norfolk, VA. I have attached my resume for your review. I think you will find that my experience makes me well qualified for this position. Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience.

I would enjoy discussing this opportunity with you further. I can be reached by phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx or by email at [EMAIL="-----@---.com"][/email]
    @---.com.

Regards,

MiikeB

I think this is a right approach.
    I normally include cover letter and modify as per the job. There is no harm in sending an extra file but when someone gets hundreds of CVs, some time a well written cover letter can help you pass the first screening.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I never include them unless they ask for them specifically.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!