Options

Question about Technet subscription and E-learning

taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
I'm trying to justify purchasing a technet subscription and have just a couple questions. First off, which one do you guys/gals have or recommend? The standard subscription or professional (not the one with discs)?

Also, can someone share an opinion on experiences with the Microsoft E-learning? What exactly is it and is it worth it?

Any input anyone has would be great.

Comments

• Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I went with the Professional subscription, and I think this it mostly dependent on whether you benefit in your studies from having access to all of server software. I would compare what you are losing if you go with the standard subscription and determine if you're going to be missing something you really want to play around with. If you are going the Desktop support path, you might benefit more putting the difference in cost elsewhere. I haven't spent much time with the E-learning courses, but I did choose mine and work on one module. I find they are similar to most other offerings.

For me, the e-learning modules were a bonus. The vast amount of software I gained access to made it more than worth the initial investment.

My concern with the Microsoft education initiatives is that they seem to be almost too comprehensive and disconnected. They seem to have multiple routes, methods , pages and repositories of information. For someone just stepping into the game it can be a bit overwhelming.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask :D
  • Options
    Thanks Mutata. I'm thinking of going with the Pro subscription as well. I think the enterprise software will be beneficial to me since I'm working on becoming a network admin. Would you agree with that statement?
  • Options
    From place to place titles can vary. I always associated network admin with CCNA/CCNP/CCIE , or their Juniper equiv. Sounds to me like you want to be a Sys Admin. I would say the professional edition would provide you with benefits from the Datacenter & Enterprise versions of Windows server. Plus, with the Pro sub you get 2 e-learning libraries. If you do plan on making full use of these, there is a good bit of value right there.

The question I would have, is do you have the hardware to create a moderately complex lab environment? Personally I found this the most important thing for myself.
  • Options
    I don't right now but I will next year. I'll be getting my CCNA this year and I hear that this can usually be passed with just using the simulation labs. I don't have the money right away for the equipment but I should next year which is when I plan on having my Bachelor's degree finished and plan on starting my masters and my CCNP journey.

Along with the financial constraints I also don't have the room for any rack equipment in out tiny litte shoebox apartment right now.
  • Options
    I hear that, I built my VMware Server for maybe 600$, It was worth it being able to run 4-6 VMs at once. I am looking into starting my CCNA, most people suggest Simulators/GNS3, but you can never really beat working with the hardware; but for financial reasons I'm going for GNS3