Anybody knows what is the simulation software used in this presentation?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I'm not talking about SDM, but the combination of GUI and the underlines. Is it packet tracer?

Thanks,

Security Device Manager and DHCP - YouTube

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks to be SecureCRT terminal with GNS3 (running in the background) and just a picture to show the topology in a nice way. Note there's no sides to the terminal so im going to guess it's just a windowed ppt with a terminal ontop?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The OS used is definitely on a Mac.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Looks to be SecureCRT terminal with GNS3 (running in the background) and just a picture to show the topology in a nice way. Note there's no sides to the terminal so im going to guess it's just a windowed ppt with a terminal ontop?

It looks like not just a picture. When Keith clicks on a router, I notice the prompt underline changes to corresponding router.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

BTW, which router supports this http server feature? I tried cisco 2811 in packet tracer, but it does not recognize "(config)#ip http server" .
    Router(config)#ip http server
                       ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I've verified all ip interfaces are up.
    Router#show ip int brief
    Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0        10.0.0.1        YES manual up                    up

FastEthernet0/1        10.2.0.1        YES manual up                    up

Packet tracer doesn't do everything, atleast with my short experience. It's a simulation software. It doesn't emulate the IOS like GNS3.

Both sites have information about ip http server.

1) Cisco IOS Release 12.0 Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference - Basic Command Line Interface Commands* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.0 Mainline] - Cisco Systems
    2) Take advantage of the Cisco IOS Web server on your router | TechRepublic
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    It looks like not just a picture. When Keith clicks on a router, I notice the prompt underline changes to corresponding router.

Then that's GNS3. You can run GNS3 on OS X. He then has to use a Windows XP VM to connect to SDM because you can't run it on a Mac not without something like Wine.
    QHalo wrote: »
    Then that's GNS3. You can run GNS3 on OS X. He then has to use a Windows XP VM to connect to SDM because you can't run it on a Mac not without something like Wine.

Now I'm trying GNS3. When dragging a router of c7200, it prompts for registering an IOS image?! Is there a place to get one like this?
    Google is your friend, Johnifanx98.

GNS3 is an emulator. It takes the IOS image and builds a like-image of the physical router in software form. Except for switches. It can't emulate switches - sadly.

I cannot figure out how Keith simulate this with GNS3 and virtual machine. But I found this video is pretty helpful. It simulates SDM without virtual machine. The trick is using loopback interface.

Using GNS3 to Simulate SDM - YouTube
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    You don't need a loopback to run SDM on GNS3. You only need one if you're running GNS3 on Windows and you want to connect that same machine to SDM. He's using an XP VM to do it. All you need there is a VM that is on the same network as the GNS3 router, install SDM on the XP machine and then connect. No loopback required that way.

If you want to know more let me know and I'll draw you a diagram on how to do it. It's tougher to explain in text.
    You don't need a loopback to run SDM on GNS3. You only need one if you're running GNS3 on Windows and you want to connect that same machine to SDM. He's using an XP VM to do it. All you need there is a VM that is on the same network as the GNS3 router, install SDM on the XP machine and then connect. No loopback required that way.

If you want to know more let me know and I'll draw you a diagram on how to do it. It's tougher to explain in text.

I think I know what you mean. For me using loopback is easier than creating a VM.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378

He is not interacting with the router through clicking on a picture, he clicks on the tab for the router in the terminal software. Like Rouge said, it's just SecureCRT sitting on top of a picture.
    Bah - SDM is so overrated to be honest. If you're studying through the ICND1/2 you're better off with learning how to set it up and that's it, don't go too in depth with this. I know a lot of people that love the visual side of things, I'm not one of them. If you get questions on the exam it's super easy to navigate through the menus to find what you're looking for.
    CCNP R/S
    zrockstar wrote: »
    He is not interacting with the router through clicking on a picture, he clicks on the tab for the router in the terminal software. Like Rouge said, it's just SecureCRT sitting on top of a picture.

Huh. You're right...
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Bah - SDM is so overrated to be honest. If you're studying through the ICND1/2 you're better off with learning how to set it up and that's it, don't go too in depth with this. I know a lot of people that love the visual side of things, I'm not one of them. If you get questions on the exam it's super easy to navigate through the menus to find what you're looking for.

I only see this SDM term in ICND1, but not in ICND2. Hope this means it's not tested in ICND2 because I heard GNS3 does not emulate STP well...
    No. no need for SDM in ICND2. It's all command line. I don't remember being tested on SDM for ICND1, actually.

I put both the ICND1/2 on there just in case people were taking the full blown CCNA test, it may or may not be on there. It probably won't even show up on ICND2, but you never know - it might be a part of a security question. I haven't taken the ICND2, so I wouldn't know what to expect on the test until I'm there. I know how to setup SDM on a router because I've done it quite a few times.

Your best bet to learning how to set it up is real equipment. I've used PT and GNS3; they're okay. But I prefer a lab in my own home.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cisco release a new form of ICND1/2 in the near future since SDM is being phased out. I don't think it's even supported anymore. Though, phasing out SDM from ICND1 doesn't seem like enough for an updated exam.
    CCNP R/S