Options

Career Change Destiny?

CamargovilleCamargoville Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, as of tomorrow. Joy Global will be laying off a bunch of employees, including me. I really guess it couldn't have came at a better time since I have my certs now and a pretty decent resume. I hate to see all my friends and some family lose their job as well as my own, but at least I don't have to quit and can pursue my IT career further while receiving a unemployment check which I hope doesn't last very long. I had a great interview the other day with a company, hoping to hear back from them ASAP, so I can get my but into gear.

Is getting laid off better than quitting? I'm pretty positive it is but I would like to hear everyone's opinions.
Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
Windows 7

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would say that getting laid off isn't *better* than quitting but it's a helluva lot better than being fired. In a way, this gives you a pretty good talking point in an interview. "I always wanted to work in IT in my long-term career. Joy Global was my stopping point while I worked on my certifications/degree/whatever. It was just a coincidence that they were doing layoffs at the time when I was planning on leaving anyways to pursue my IT career"
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I would say in terms of finding a new job, yes getting laid off is better. You can maintain a positive attitude toward your previous company during interviews and they don't have to question your loyalty since it wasn't your choice.

You're in good position! One tip: Don't wait for any one job. Get tons of applications out and schedule as many interviews as possible. It will shorten your job hunt and best case grant you multiple offers to choose from.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I would say in terms of finding a new job, yes getting laid off is better. You can maintain a positive attitude toward your previous company during interviews and they don't have to question your loyalty since it wasn't your choice.

You're in good position! One tip: Don't wait for any one job. Get tons of applications out and schedule as many interviews as possible. It will shorten your job hunt and best case grant you multiple offers to choose from.
    Sounds like a plan to me. icon_thumright.gif
    Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    can I ask if you were in a IT role at Joy Global? I came very close to taking a IT position with them a few months ago.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Is getting laid off better than quitting?

I won’t say better but this is what someone like me needs to look for a new job!
    I have never been laid off by my employer but have resigned twice (to relocate) so far from what I considered as good jobs, without having any other offer in hand. This has helped me in getting better jobs and to do certifications in my free time.
    So, if you are like me, this is good for you! Make sure you utilize this time and prepare for some certification before you start working again!
    Good luck.. ;)
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    I've never been laid off but I know people who have been. Yes, it's better because unemployment will give you a portion of your check. A friend of mine was part of a massive layoff. She received a lot of assistance getting a second degree, though I don't know how much. I've heard of other unemployed people getting retrained for more specific second careers. Depending on how large the layoff is, you could get some additional training. At the very least, you have plenty of time to go on interviews. If it were me, I'd take two weeks and go relax somewhere nice. Then I'd come back and work full time at finding a good position. In the long run, this will likely help you. Staying at a low paying job was hurting your long term finances because you were wasting working years and gaining no long term value. Now you can start over with a specific plan. Perhaps devoting x% to retirement, x% to education (hopefully reimbursed), etc. I think you need to get out of survival mode and make actions based on real long term goals that are more specific than "I want some job in IT" which job? doing what exactly? what is the gold standard credential for that job function (experience, certification, or ?) what size company? how much will you have saved at retirement, which years will you save x%? It should all be leading somewhere and the goals should drive the actions not fate or convenience.
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan to me. icon_thumright.gif
    No, I wish.
    I think this is a great opportunity for me to pursue my career though. I'mma work on some more certs.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7